• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gun activist shoots and kills her two teenage daughters before being shot and killed

Status
Not open for further replies.
A terrible event that claimed the lives of two young women.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw

The woman who was killed by police after she fatally shot her two daughters at their Texas home has been identified as an outspoken gun advocate.

Christy Sheats, 42, shot and killed her two young daughters, Taylor, 22, and Madison Sheats, 17, during an argument that started inside their Houston-area home and spilled out into a residential street.

“It was a family argument that turned into a shooting,” Fort Bend County Sheriff Troy Nehls told the Houston Chronicle. “But we’re still trying to put the pieces together.”

According to Christy Sheats Facebook page, she was a gun owner and vocal advocate for the second amendment.

"It would be horribly tragic if my ability to protect myself or my family were to be taken away," Sheats wrote in March on her Facebook page, "but that's exactly what Democrats are determined to do by banning semi-automatic handguns."

Other sources that do not mention her Facebook post claiming her advocacy for the second amendment:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/25/us/texas-woman-shoots-daughters/

http://fox59.com/2016/06/25/texas-m...aughters-before-being-fatally-shot-by-police/

Forgive me if this has been posted before.

SoulUnison

Banned
How bizarre. Is this really as straightforward as it seems?
Suburban soccer mom type who preaches gun ownership and responsibility gets so heated in a "family disagreement" that she murders her own children?
And it sounds like it wasn't the first time this family had had such loud arguments that people had been called, either.

"It would be horribly tragic if my ability to protect myself or my family were to be taken away," Sheats wrote in March on her Facebook page, "but that's exactly what Democrats are determined to do by banning semi-automatic handguns."

It's not distasteful to point out the extreme irony of this statement and the unfolding events, right? I don't mean in a sarcastic or humorous way, it's just so blatant that it feels like low hanging fruit, but my god.

cdyhybrid

This occurring alongside the "But why can't I protect my family?" posts in the Hawaii gun control thread is pretty amazing.

watershed

Banned
Tragic but what the hell kind of argument were they having that she felt she had to shoot and kill her own daughters?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Tragic but what the hell kind of argument were they having that she felt she had to shoot and kill her own daughters?
Some people get extremely violent during arguments and fights, I imagine it's a very visceral, emotional thing for some people - having a gun nearby in that state can sometimes just lead to disaster.

I can't even imagine the sort of argument that would lead a mother to shoot her own daughters. This is really fucked up. She must have had very poor control of her temper, and having guns available made it fatal.

Game-Biz

I can't see it being anything other than the mom having severe mental health issues...I mean no mentally sound person would do this.

Yea this is one of the lowest hanging fruit I've ever seen. I can't find solace in pointing out the irony.

obama14thspeech.gif

Just sad not just because two lives were lost. . just everything. . I'm exhausted.

cheezcake

How bizarre. Is this really as straightforward as it seems?
Suburban soccer mom type who preaches gun ownership and responsibility gets so heated in a "family disagreement" that she murders her own children?
And it sounds like it wasn't the first time this family had had such loud arguments that people had been called, either.

It may seem bizzare on the surface, but it's well established that you are statistically far more likely to use a gun to shoot yourself or a family member than an intruder to your house.

I can't imagine how the father feels right now...I would seriously just want to kill myself if I was him:( Horrible shit.

Fucking guns.

Yeah... I don't know how you can possibly get over that. Life wouldn't be worth living to me at that point. Every day a reminder of what happened, right until you draw your last breath.

The sad thing is, this could have been preventable were they to not have weapons in their home.

I found her FB page and the exact link to the post she made. I'm not sure about the rules on GAF about posting information like this so I won't.

It may seem bizzare on the surface, but it's well established that you are statistically far more likely to use a gun to shoot yourself or a family member than an intruder to your house.

Yeah pretty much this. Owning a gun requires a lot of discipline and responsibility that a lot of people lack.

Some people get extremely violent during arguments and fights, I imagine it's a very visceral, emotional thing for some people - having a gun nearby in that state can sometimes just lead to disaster.
I guess in that regard it's similar to suicide by gun. Having it there is dangerous with incredibly fragile people.

RIP to the daughters.

This is really the flaw with the "responsible gun owner" argument. Gun activists/enthusiasts who crack and shoot themselves/others always believed themselves to be "responsible gun owners".

Mat-triX

RIP to the daughters.

This is really the flaw with the "responsible gun owner" argument. Gun activists/enthusiasts who crack and shoot themselves/others always believed themselves to be "responsible gun owners".

No one believes themselves to be evil or bad, and this goes into the 'Good guy with a Gun' mentality; Nobody believes THEY'RE the bad guy with a gun, just the possibility that everyone else is.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
This is up there with the guy who wrote against seat belts dying because he didnt wear a seat belt.

At least you can't kill someone else with a disused seat belt, short of something ludicrous like flying out your windshield and hitting someone. It's hard to have sympathy for those who die alone from doing something stupid, but with guns the probability of taking someone else with you is just too high.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
At least you can't kill someone else with a disused seat belt, short of something ludicrous like flying out your windshield and hitting someone. It's hard to have sympathy for those who die alone from doing something stupid, but with guns the probability of taking someone else with you is just too high.

You can seriously injure or potentially kill someone if you are in the backseat of a car without wearing a seat belt.

You become a flying projectile at the point of crash and the closest opening to fly through in front of you has a person with an exposed head and neck.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
You can seriously injure or potentially kill someone if you are in the backseat of a car without wearing a seat belt.

You become a flying projectile at the point of crash and the closest opening to fly through in front of you has a person with an exposed head and neck.

I see, I was referring mainly to just drivers.

Actually you can, depending on your position in the car in relation to other passengers

http://www.nationalroadsafetycouncil.org.jm/faqs.htm

There are some front seat passengers that die as a result of being hit by a back seat passenger not wearing their seat belt.

Yagharek

She wanted guns to protect her family?

Jesus fucking christ what a disaster. How on earth can someone do that.

Completely senseless.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Your family is dead because of the "right" you fought so passionately to protect.

Pretty much shows that it isn't a "right" worth protecting

Sianos

I see no rational argument against mandatory psychological testing as a part of a process to earn your gun licence. Why should someone so unhinged that they would kill their own children over an argument be allowed to have a gun? How could anything good come of that?

Call it the "Good Guys With Guns" bill, since that's the level of discourse in the media lately.

Frankly, this isn't that unusual. There have been studies that show the presence of a gun during a domestic dispute increases the chance that an argument will end in murder. This is not at all a mental health issue. Otherwise regular people absolutely can and do get mad enough in the heat of the moment to do abominable things and guns facilitate the worst possible end result.

Madness

Everyone is a responsible gun owner until they aren't. This moron probably spent her years fantasizing at the thought she'd use her guns to save her daughters one day only to be the one to use those guns to actually kill them.

SaviourMK2

More evidence you're statistically more likely to die by a gun meant to protect you than an intruder.

I wish I would make a snide remark, but 2 girls where killed in their prime. I honestly don't have it in me to make a joke.

black_13

Banned
That's horrible.

This is the problem with guns. Once you get into a heated argument you just don't think as rationally as you like to think. Everyone can snap if pushed the wrong way and at that point you just don't care and want to make the other person pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom