• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya: West/Japan Gap Is Enormous; Horizon, FH3, Days Gone & GOW Caught My eye

Metro GameCentral was able to interview Kamiya-san at E3 2016 and once again, he didn’t disappoint in this regard. He stated without half measure that this year’s E3 highlighted the currently huge difference between Western and Japanese games; he then added which titles in particular caught his eye in Los Angeles.

But to kind of shift gears a little bit, I can’t really talk down to Western games at all. I really think they’re kind of setting the pillars for the quality of this generation. Every time I come to E3 I kind of look around and it’s like, ‘Wow, those games are really good!’ But this year in particular, the general level of quality of the games and the gap between what the West is doing and what Japan is doing is enormous. And it really left an impression on me.

Specifically, Horizon looks amazing. Forza Horizon 3 is great, I’m a huge fan of that. And Days Gone looks really cool too. And I’m really looking forward to seeing God Of War, just from an action game perspective.

http://wccftech.com/kamiya-westjapa...forza-horizon-3-days-gone-god-war-caught-eye/

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/27/scale...bout-making-it-so-everybody-loves-it-5969789/

Mediking

Interesting... there's some cool Western games I wanna buy. But Gravity Rush 2 is HIGH on my list along with FFXV, KH, Persona, Dragon Quest, Pokemon, etc...

I wonder what he thinks about the new Zelda. IIRC, he's a bit of a lapsed Zelda fan, so I'd think the new direction might impress him. Also, he made Okami
I'd ask him on Twitter but...👀💦💦

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I wonder what he thinks about the new Zelda. IIRC, he's a bit of a lapsed Zelda fan, so I'd think the new direction might impress him. Also, he made Okami

He was an old school Nintendo fan. The Legend of Zelda, Tetris Attack, Murasame, and Star Fox 64 were some of his favorites.

The games he mentioned in particular make for good E3 showcases because of the technical and artistic quality.

I was thinking that Japan is catching up this generation.

Mediking

"Zelda looks good. Will try to get Bayonetta amiibo to be a companion for Link. But still.... BLOCKED."

GWX

Not gonna lie I read that as Kanye West.

I need help.

If that is so, I need help as well, as I read it as Kanye too :lol

I'd say Kamiya has nothing to worry, as Platinum's offerings are generally way more exciting to me than the games he listed, but sadly Scalebound doesn't look too hot. I don't think he's pursuing the right genre/kind of game, it's not his forte.

Banned
AGAIN

ALL YOU ZELDA IDIOTS WILL BE BLOCKED! Ask Aonuma.

he might be on media blackout for that game :may have blocked all tweets from NOA

From a graphics perspective, I see where he's coming from.

I think Japanese devs are on the right track this gen after taking a little too much inspiration from the West last gen. A lot of games are returning to their roots, and there are just a lot of exciting titles coming out.

Be specific Gaffers. If they are closing the gap, tell us what games or developers. FFXV, Persona 5 and KH 3 are going to be awesome but let us know what else

I very much lean towards japanese games but its hard to argue with him here when talking about tech. Thankfully japanese publishers seem to be embracing UE4 and we are getting some really nice results from that partnership.

Kolx

From a technical side he might be right (I'd argue many games like FF:XV, GT:Sport&RE7 looks great but in general yes), but when it comes to how great games are I'm not really with him on this. Also, surprised he actually liked Days Gone.

The most western game franchise that has come out of Japan is the Souls series. That took on a lot of western influence when it came to RPGs.

Sorry to say that Scalebound doesn't look to be doing much to close this gap he talks about.

I really hope Kamiya can turn that game around, as a fan I would like to see him get a win in the sales and hype department

not sure why the game seems so boring to so many people and yet it sounds like a big game for P*/MS

The most western game franchise that has come out of Japan is the Souls series. That took on a lot of western influence when it came to RPGs.

In aesthetic only. When it comes to design choices its very far.

I'd say Dragon's Dogma is closer, but even then that game has more shared DNA with Monster Hunter.

I really hope Kamiya can turn that game around, as a fan I would like to see him get a win in the sales and hype department

not sure why the game seems so boring to so many people and yet it sounds like a big game for P*/MS

It doesn't look fun at all is why. Everytime they've shown it my interest has dropped more. Its sad being Kamiya's pet project but damn the game just does not look good.

dan2026

Japan shouldn't try to go for A+++ graphics.

They should just follow their same quirky ideas that they always used to and not worry if it doesn't look quite as good as western games.

Japanese games are always worse when they try to badly emulate western games.

I think the combat could be better than something like FFXV, but it looks a bit stiff and the multiplayer focus is usually not a great sign.

It's actually been a while since I've been so hyped for so many japanese games but there was a lot of great stuff from western studios as well.

Not gonna lie I read that as Kanye West.

I need help.

2890050-6.jpg

Regiruler

That title concerns me.

I feel like the Japanese developers that praise Western game design go on the decline shortly thereafter, especially when they focus on large-budget titles which I do not particularly enjoy.

That's from last year cheater. The 30th anniversary lanyards are a dead giveaway.

It's not really a large gap when the difference is really graphics quality. But I see what he's saying.

You can quote me: this game is gonna be gold.

I also read the title as Kanye West.

And as someone who prefers Japanese games to Western games, I think that Japanese games are just fine.

ReaperXL7

Japan shouldn't try to go for A+++ graphics.

They should just follow their same quirky ideas that they always used to and not worry if it doesn't look quite as good as western games.

Japanese games are always worse when they try to badly emulate western games.

The problem was never in them trying to ape western games in terms of graphics, the issue was with them trying to make Japanese versions of western games. Like that Gears of War clone from Techmo "Quantum something".

I'm anticipating a lot of Japanese games currently, but I wouldn't complain if the Japanese games industry were able to compete on a purely technical basis while keeping the design choices that make Japanese games so interesting.

Ivan 3414

Interesting how Kamiya is looking forward to the new GoW. I know quite a few Platinum fans, especially here, have conniptions at any moment GoW is spoken within the same breath as DMC and Bayonetta

Zophar

I wonder if this will be the generation that finally tips the balance on Japan's relevance in the gaming market. You could argue they were still leaders in game design (in particular Nintendo) last generation but it's starting to feel like the majority of innovations this generation are from Western developers.

There's been a huge gap in tech for the better part of a decade now, and Japan's probably never going to catch up. But as far as the quality of the games are concerned, it's pretty much the opposite.

Same, the game that impressed me the most in the entire E3 was by far Zelda, a Japanese game. It's still related to what he was saying, as interviews with Aonuma and others highlighted how little experience Japanese devs have with open world games, leading to the delays, but still.

Top Bottom