• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam official app released for Windows mobile devices

Iokis

Shame I ditched WP for Android a couple weeks ago. Haven't regretted it either, don't miss an OS that couldn't handle (a horribly broken version of) Spotify and certain websites on Edge at the same time.

Happy for those still keeping the faith with WP, though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not surprised. This was a very nice gesture on Valve's part but I'm guessing it's mainly motivated by the need to provide the authenticator for these phones/users. Doesn't make sense to have the authenticator on the same device you are accessing Steam from (i.e. your PC) since it would then no longer be a barrier to anyone who stole/took over your PC.

Speaking of the Authenticator, I really wish you could just use Google's authenticator instead. I hate having to open the Steam app on my phone just for a code, when all my other 2nd factor codes are on the Google app.

whats this authenticator? I have the steam app on ios but often just use the web page as they seem so similar. I do have to enter a steam guard code via email if I access steam on a different computer/browser, but if there is proper two factor authentication that'd be great.

Durante

whats this authenticator? I have the steam app on ios but often just use the web page as they seem so similar. I do have to enter a steam guard code via email if I access steam on a different computer/browser, but if there is proper two factor authentication that'd be great.
It's a replacement for the email code. (On a different device, thus presumably more secure)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The thing is, people wanted it to install on their gaming PC, which would eliminate Valve's need for it anyway, which is exactly what most people want to do.

Security is inconvenience.
Valve would never invalidate their entire 2FA scheme for the sake of customer convenience. Having your PC and the device which receives security codes/verification is the entire point of 2FA security.
The Steam app serves as the 2FA authenticator for Steam Guard, if enabled. In doing so it actually offers two factors of authentication rather than the email-based Steam Guard which isn't actually two-factor authentication as that can be accessed on the same device as your normal Steam client.

This.

So much this.
Yes, RFC 6238 standard please Valve. Having codes generated in your 2FA app of choice, or password manager would be much more convenient. But I'd also argue this is the reason Valve is not employing RFC 6238 in the first place due to the ease of access to PC emulator apps that'd essentially break the integrity of the 2FA.

I can't believe Valve went through the effort of creating an app instead of just switching to an open 2FA standard that you can use with an app of your choice.

last time I checked, open standard solutions would help with logging in, but not with market transactions, due to details needing to be displayed. This is the exact reason my bank keeps sending SMSes over unencrypted channels with codes for money transfers, they can throw in part of recipient data, amount of cash etc. Otherwise a hack involving a fake Steam page wouldn't be detectable.

Echoplx

Valve would never invalidate their entire 2FA scheme for the sake of customer convenience. Having your PC and the device which receives security codes/verification is the entire point of 2FA security.

The Steam app serves as the 2FA authenticator for Steam Guard, if enabled. In doing so it actually offers two factors of authentication rather than the email-based Steam Guard which isn't actually two-factor authentication as that can be accessed on the same device as your normal Steam client.

Yes, RFC 6238 standard please Valve. Having codes generated in your 2FA app of choice, or password manager would be much more convenient. But I'd also argue this is the reason Valve is not employing RFC 6238 in the first place due to the ease of access to PC emulator apps that'd essentially break the integrity of the 2FA.

https://github.com/Jessecar96/SteamDesktopAuthenticator

jetsetrez

I can't believe Valve put out a native app in the modern Microsoft ecosystem. It's like if Google put out a new Windows UWP app.

Bluth54

Well that's insecure. :)

Well it's not meant to be secure, more of a work around for people don't have access to a device the mobile authentication runs on. The guy who created it runs some automated TF2 item trading sites so he built that for his sites/the bots accounts for his site.

SMpmfTr.jpg

That pixel-y header logo though lol ...

Top Bottom