• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michigan State Police: Multiple people shot at Berrien County Courthouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanafan

ST. JOSEPH, Mich. -- Berrien County dispatch says shots were fired at the Berrien County Courthouse in St. Joseph just before 2:30 p.m. Monday.

Michigan State Police tell WZZM-TV (Grand Rapids) more than one person has been shot.

Update 4:09 PM EST

FOX News reporting that this may have been a situation involving an inmate (or recently sentenced individual) who was being taken to jail and somehow got a hold of a deputy's gun.

Two bailiffs and suspect confirmed dead;

WNDU ‏@WNDU 1m1 minute ago
Berrien County Sheriff Paul Bailey says suspect shot & killed two bailiffs. Other officers shot & killed suspect.
https://twitter.com/WNDU/status/752594639920635905

WNDU ‏@WNDU 4m4 minutes ago
A deputy sheriff is in stable condition at a local hospital.
https://twitter.com/WNDU/status/752593909348376577

This is terrible. I hope those who are not already dead make it through.

I feel like I live in the movie Brazil, when attacks are happening all the time and people just ignore them and keep eating their dinners and talking about plastic surgery.

MIMIC

Banned
CNN reporting that one officer has been shot and nothing more (so far)

EDIT: FOX News reporting the same

MIMIC

Banned
FOX News reporting that this may have been a situation involving an inmate (or recently sentenced individual) who was being taken to jail and somehow got a hold of a deputy's gun.

You never think these things will happen if your town.....Damn. I'm a couple miles away from there right now.

Not as bad as it sounds. Someone took a deputies gun off him and shot a couple people. Still scary.

BiggNife

That time probably never existed. We are just hearing about more of these incidents.

Yeah, I don't really think anything has changed. It's just that social media makes people aware of far more incidents than in the past as soon as they happen. Also people are super sensitive to news about shootings right now due to the Sterling, Castille, and Dallas shootings.

What is this, some kind of vigilante justice angle?

I think it was a slip of the tongue and he meant either tragically common or thankfully uncommon.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Damn, that's a serious screwup.

MoeDabs

Horrible :( My best friend makes regular trips there for his law firm. Holy fuck I'm glad he wasn't on a run today.

obin_gam

The coverage has changed, but we've had gun violence in the US like this for a long time.

Looks like we've had 179 mass shootings, and over 7,200 killed by firearms so far this year, alone. Very little of it rises to the level of national coverage.

That time probably never existed. We are just hearing about more of these incidents.

In America? You mean shootings that happen to make the news?

ah ok, then I dont know how to feel... ignorance is sometimes bliss i guess

Boke1879

Yea and for the shooter to have enough time to kill 3 people as well? Crazy.

MIMIC

Banned
USA Today: 3 people dead (including shooter) and 1 person injured. The two other deaths are court bailiffs

studyguy

If it was in an actual courtroom, then likely he pulled it off the bailiff, I mean normally that's the only armed officer in a place at all. Least that's what I saw when I had to go in to sit on a jury.

Retro

Scene is secure as of a half hour ago, apparently;

BREAKING: Sheriff Paul Bailey just confirmed shooting at the courthouse.Tells me scene is secure. (source)

Worth pointing out that Berrien County was the site of a riot in 2003 after an African American man was killed while fleeing police. Growing up in the area, everyone basically knew what a slowly simmering shitstorm St. Joseph / Benton Harbor is; an affluent (median income: $49,982) white (88.1%) city and a predominantly black (89.2% African American), low income ($17,301 median income) one separated by a river.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom