• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta cop who shot unarmed black man charged with murder

Status
Not open for further replies.
hopefully hes convicted

Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard announced that arrest warrants were issued Friday for the ex-Atlanta police officer who shot and killed an unarmed black motorist on June 22.

Howard said he will be seeking an indictment against Officer James Burns for felony murder, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and violation of his oath of office for killing Deravis Caine Rogers outside a northeast Atlanta apartment complex.

Burns, who joined the force in 2013, was fired from the department July 1 after an internal affairs investigation determined that the shooting amounted to excessive force. Howard said he will take the case to a grand jury early next month.

“By reason of the evidence presented by several eye-witnesses, videos, and the findings of the Atlanta Police Department, we will proceed in this case in the same manner as any other defendant similarly charged — arrest, indictment and resolution,” Howard said in a statement.

lock me up if old

spookyfish

Howard doesn't have the best record when it comes to high-profile cases.

We'll see. I hope they have this guy dead to rights, though. Be a good message to send.

Sulik2

At least he is getting charged. Lets see if a racist grand jury lets another murderer off the hook without an indictment though.

Elandyll

Banned
Starting to have some actual convictions (in clear cut cases, not for the sake of having one) of guilty police officers, it would go imo a long way in starting to heal the divide and distrust between authorities and minorities.

One can hope... (that justice is served)

Is this the one where they were walking upstairs and the guy shot someone who peeked out or something?

No, I believe the officer shot the man who was in his car before actually checking to see if the driver was the suspect he was after. He claimed the driver was about to run him over but eyewitness reports conflicted with the officer's summary.

Renoir

Seen this dude around while I was going trough the academy... That dude was clueless to begin with. He for in trouble before, and should have got fired then. They have a warrant for his arrest now.

Matty77

Either there is no conviction or more likely with how fast this has happened sounds like he was problem for them all around and with this they can get rid of him and even try to get brownie points by saying "look we did something" when really it's just opportunity.

Long story short no way this is an indication of things getting better, more an anomaly with a background we don't know but can only suspect as I outlined above based on how quickly they threw him out from behind the blue wall.

Renoir

Atlanta PD doesn't really have that shield for officers like other departments. If you get a DUI you will get fired. You won't get a ride home .. You will go to jail. Of course higher ups escape this, but for the most part, if You fuck up they're quick to drop you. If there is a shooting Atlanta PD doesn't investigate. The GBI does the investigation. Any one can get days on the street (suspended without pay) for some thing as little as a courtesy complaint. That guy better have a good lawyer, because the city coffers don't open for no one but the white shirts (upper brass)

Matty77

Atlanta PD doesn't really have that shield for officers like other departments. If you get a DUI you will get fired. You won't get a ride home .. You will go to jail. Of course higher ups escape this, but for the most part, if You fuck up they're quick to drop you. If there is a shooting Atlanta PD doesn't investigate. The GBI does the investigation. Any one can get days on the street (suspended without pay) for some thing as little as a courtesy complaint. That guy better have a good lawyer, because the city coffers don't open for no one but the white shirts (upper brass)
So he's fucked is what your saying?

Boney

Banned
I read it as he shot the guy because he was charged with murder, so this is at the very least a silver lining.

Anybody got the run down on how the situation escalated and the cop ended up unjustifiably drawing his gun?

Boney

Banned
So an off duty police officer called him to help him catch a car thief in an area that there were no car thefts the day earlier. So the cop without any cause to suspect that man, blocked him with his car, got out and walked towards the car and decided to shoot because the car could start and run him over because he was in front of the car.

And the shooting was not racial profiling because you couldn't see who was in the car.

MJPIA

Woah hes getting charged with felony murder?
I feel I probably know what'll probably happen but it'd be nice to see him convicted of that.
Code Sections Murder and Felony Murder: O.C.G.A. 16-5-1
A.K.A. "Criminal homicide"

What is Prohibited? Murder: A planned or intentional homicide of another person or a homicide while committing a felony.

Felony Murder Rule A person commits felony murder (murder) if any death (even an accidental one) results from the commission of certain violent felonies -- such as arson, burglary, kidnapping, rape, and robbery.
Penalty Capital punishment or life imprisonment. See O.C.G.A. 17-10-30, et seq.
Civil Case Possible wrongful death lawsuit

Degrees of Murder

None. Georgia classifies homicides into the following categories: murder, felony murder, voluntary, and involuntary manslaughter.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/warrant-issued-for-former-apd-officer-in-shooting/402901064
The Fulton County Sheriff's Office tells Channel 2 Action News there is no bond for Burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom