• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop CEO says sales up 100% in stores with Poke Stop

RyanW

I should probably go by my Gamestop and see if it's a Pokestop. Was this something that's been in since launch or just recently added?

Kenai

I should probably go by my Gamestop and see if it's a Pokestop. Was this something that's been in since launch or just recently added?

I think the OG Pokestops are based on the map of another game that is the basis for GO's map, but I also think businesses are capable of adding and/or removing themselves if they ask. I know some businesses have removed themselves anyway.

galvatron

I've been telling everyone this is a real game changers for marketing brick and mortar. Even if it's not going to last, for right now, pokemon lure/stops >> groupons or facebook ads.

Trojan

Wow, I would have thought there would be a significant spike, but wasn't expecting double revenue. The impact of this game is insane.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Nintendo should make them allocate shelf spaces for NX in exchange for rare pokemon spot

udivision

So when trading gets added to go, and since trading will most likely be done through pokestops... Will GameStop be the best place to get used Pokemon?

I've been telling everyone this is a real game changers for marketing brick and mortar. Even if it's not going to last, for right now, pokemon lure/stops >> groupons or facebook ads.

If you wanna max your profits, make a decent boost posted social media deal, target the local area, and reap the rewards.

There you go, businesses. That one is for free.

Sterok

But I thought putting Nintendo's games on mobile could never lead to an increase in sales on their dedicated devices because everyone is satisfied with free apps. Well, now they're boosting the entire retail industry. Amazing how things work out.

Bgamer90

Banned
The NX needs to have some connection to the Pokemon Go app -- even if it's just a basic TV app that shows your stats.

This app is the biggest thing Nintendo has done since Wii Sports.

Bgamer90

Banned
But I thought putting Nintendo's games on mobile could never lead to an increase in sales on their dedicated devices because everyone is satisfied with free apps. Well, now they're boosting the entire retail industry. Amazing how things work out.

Well, we don't know if it's Nintendo's devices yet. This month's NPD may show it though if there's a notable boost in 3DS sales.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
if Gamestop has any goddamn sense they're asking customers if they want to preorder Pokemon Sun and Moon right now

Toki767

The NX needs to have some connection to the Pokemon Go app -- even if it's just a basic TV app that shows your stats.

A free Pokemon Stadium game on NX that just uses your Pokemon Go account I imagine would sell some NX hardware.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I would imagine it most certainly will.

Nintendo finally figured out where their original Wii player base went, and they would be insane not to capitalize on that with the NX to draw those same players to it.

Meier

A free Pokemon Stadium game on NX that just uses your Pokemon Go account I imagine would sell some NX hardware.

Man, this would be a great idea. I think the only concern would be the fact they're sharing a lot of the revenue for Pokemon Go. They'd probably want to monetize this on the NX somehow.. but if it drove sales of the system, it'd obviously be worthwhile.

It seems like there would be a higher markup and lower barrier to entry with a cheap Roku type box with Bluetooth, or an inexpensive Apple TV app.

FStubbs

I would imagine it most certainly will.

Nintendo finally figured out where their original Wii player base went, and they would be insane not to capitalize on that with the NX to draw those same players to it.

Are you certain the Wii Fit crowd is playing Pokemon Go? I think it's a different audience.

Niantic can make so much easy money from advertisements. McDonalds is already rumored, imagine what they would pay for a PokéStop in every McDonalds.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Are you certain the Wii Fit crowd is playing Pokemon Go? I think it's a different audience.

I said the Wii owners in general. Wii-Fit is a subset to that as mentioned by others. It is no mystery that a lot of those Wii owners that jumped on the hype, later graduated to other things, mainly mobile (judging by the perceived retraction in the console market due to the Wii anomaly).

Now it is time for Nintendo to capitalize on that, with also the millions of other new gamers who play this on mobile with NX integration in some way. That could potentially be huge for them.

Somnia

Sales up 100%

So normal sales?

Haha, jk

The store I help at in the winter/fall season as a part time job said their sales are way up due to this.

Now to be fair the sales being up aren't as much on games as they are on accessories like t-shirts, pops, figurines, etc. as the store I work at is a Thinkgeek/Gamestop store so the first 20% of their store is all Collectibles and the like.

That's the real money maker for GameStop going forward, but not many stores have been converted to the new 20% front section like this yet.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
The grave of Susan B. Anthony here in Rochester is a highly contested Gym.

Even the dead serve the Pokémon.

cyba89

NX console will act as a personal Pokéstop.
Profit!

Niantic should also implement Amiibo functionaltiy for phones with NFC readers.

I'm sure they're desperately trying to contact Niantic to get all their stores to be Pokestops.

Actually it'd be cool if you could buy a little Pokestop device. So stores and small businesses could just make their own Pokestops and increase traffic for a price.

This is a pretty good case study for excitement over mobile Nintendo games leading to more traditional gaming and games merchandise purchases, when the opportunities present themselves.

Meanwhile all we've seen is a massive increase in the number of groups of teenagers walking in, standing around blocking every aisle while they swing their phones around and chat, being a nuisance to customers, then walking out without buying anything. The odd one might buy a tacky Pop figure or phone charger if we're lucky.

Top Bottom