• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New in-depth 4Gamer interview with FFXV and Kingsglaive directors Tabata and Nozue

Koozek

̶N̶̶e̶̶w̶ (actually a few months old, but never fully translated yet) in-depth interview with Tabata and Nozue (Kingsglaive director) about the development and thought process of the game and movie on 4Gamer translated from Japanese (thanks to Mognet's @ChingleeTribal/ for posting/@NoctisPendragon on the official forum):

Unofficial English translation (spelling wonky at some parts, but you get the meaning):
http://www.one-and-zero.com/single-post/2016/07/16/20-page-4Gamer-FFXV-interview

Original Japanese interview:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/075/G007535/20160324131/

4Gamer:
For example, what kind of criticism did you get?

Tabata:
The biggest criticism was, “You arbitrarily changed Versus.”From a developers stand point we were shocked we couldn't change that.

4Gamer:
You set aside quite a bit of time in the ATR particularly to explain about the changes of the heroin.

Tabata:
As we made adjustments and tried to complete the story of FFXV in a single title, it soon became clear that we needed to change the heroin's role into something bigger. Despite not having completely making public the settings for Stella, an image had already formed itself in the minds of players. After that happens, it is difficult to simply change her role. If she appeared in the game with a completely different image of that first shown, of course there will be people who are upset.

4Gamer:
Ah, if she showed up in the game it might seem like her personality changed.

Tabata:
It's something that involves peoples feelings so no matter how much we explain, it's not enough. Even for developers, its difficult to work with characters that have their original role changed. If that's the case, I thought we should change the character to match the role.

4Gamer:
Ah, you've peaked my interested about the developers side.

Tabata:
We are also humans so we also can't bear the thought of putting our best effort into something we believe to be right and having that become the target of criticism. Or, when staff that didn't work on Versus XIII gets involved with a part of the project, I'm sure they feel like they are doing something wrong. That's not a healthy state to be in so I decided not to carry over the so called “soul”of things, which we could have left. This includes Stella.

4Gamer:
Did you prepare a chance ahead of time to properly tell the whole team about the heroine's changes?

Tabata:
I explained with specific reasoning to make a different character the heroine, not Stella. With the FFXV team, as long as it isn't top secret, I worked as open as possible and shared information. The trade off is, we have a policy to properly manage information.​

------

4Gamer:
What were the reasons you were fixated on having an open world?

Tabata:
“I wonder why it isn't open world?” This is how modern RPG's are thought of by oversea fans. Particularly, FFXV is a game where you travel the world so its normal for people to think it should be an open world.

Formerly, there was an era when FF was at the front line of RPGs. Making FFXV an open world is an easy way to understand modernization. We also aimed to once again return to that front line with FFXV. If we didn't make such a change, it wouldn't be very convincing if we said, “we are competing with Skyrim.”

This is why the game will progress alongside the story but we used open world technology to interpret the world. That is one principle I wouldn't bend on.

Nozue:
To exchange opinions with everyone, we went on a small camp and discussed until we were all satisfied.

4Gamer:
When was this?

Tabata:
Right as we merged together with Luminous Studio a few months after announcing FFXV at the 2013 E3. At that point in time, the engineers wouldn't listen and insisted, “With Square Enix's current know-how, an open world is impossible.” That trend was especially strong with our foreign engineers.

4Gamer:
As a person who is rooting for Square Enix and the FF series, there is something sad about the words, “an open world is impossible.”

Tabata:
That is how low the world thinks our technological skills are. Especially because the first HD game in the Final Fantasy series just so happened to be a linear creation, people started to think, “These guys don't have the technology to make a AAA open world title.”

With all that in mind, we distributed the demo and finally got a warm breeze blowing, “What? You guys could make an open world?”

4Gamer:
Even so, “Even if we fail, its okay.” That's quite the resignation.

Tabata:
If I hadn't said that the team couldn't have confidence and come together. By saying that, we were able to dynamically manage a seamless world, prepare an environment and the team could relax with the thought, “Even if it sucks Tabata is responsible.” However, in the end everyone said they didn't like how empty the field was.

Nozue:
They are really doing their best aren't they. (laughs)

Tabata:
I told them, “I told you it's okay if it's empty.” But they reply, “But we don't like that!” (Laughs)

4Gamer:
So your saying, even though they could do it if they tried, they were apposed.

Tabata:
That's because, technologically making an open world in itself is a tremendous task. The current methods for map layout, and loading system are completely different. At first, even I felt, “So this is how you create an open world map.” That's the situation we were in and when we look at Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead Redemption, it's normal to think, “Yeah, we can't do that.”

4Gamer:
Those are certainty two amazing games...

Tabata:
Well, I understood how they felt. At any rate, we overcame that and technologically learned how to design the map. It's not completely an open world but we were able allow players the experience of a seamless world. When we arrived at that juncture, I was really happy.

4Gamer:
Tabata, did you actually believe that you could make FFXV an open world.?

Tabata:
Of course I did. Technologically our competitors are already doing it and it's not some mysterious skill.

However, faced with new technology, I had doubts of whether the development staff could maintain their best performance until the game was properly completed. From there I firmly created our team, set a goal, and continued to consciously update our progress with a firm stance. In short, I emphasized issues with the mind rather than technology.

4Gamer:
They were getting down on themselves?

Tabata:
First, people look at the things they can't do right? They would say, “If it's an open world quality will go down.” Or, “We won't have content for it.” Thats why I continued to say, “It's okay if quality drops,” and, “An empty world is okay.”

4Gamer:
But, actually you had the hope, “They can do it if they try.” Didn't you?

Tabata:
Yes, 50% of me hoped. My standpoint for the remaining 50% was, it's okay if it's an empty world. If we can complete it that's enough.

4Gamer:
Being able do think like that for a numbered FF title is shocking.

Tabata:
However, I think I made it clear to the whole team that the "technology" we use, and our level of "content completion" were separate. I wondered if there was a good example and after searching I found Shadow of the Colossus. After showing it, everyone seemed to understand. Of course, I'm not making fun of Shadow of the Colossus by any means. It's because I respect it that I'm using it as an example.

4Gamer:
It's a good example, which goes to show you can make many great games depending on how you make it, even if you don't stuff it full of content. Actually, Shadow of the Colossus had great reviews overseas as well.

Tabata:
You can get a sense of the world just by moving to a destination right? The staff validated the appeal of Shadow of the Colossus. Another example of a game you can experience the world is, The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. If you compare it to games these days, it isn't exactly brimming with content. Even so, you become entranced just running around on a horse in a seamless world.

4Gamer:
At this point in time, is the completed from of FFXV the same as what you thought it would be when you started?

Tabata:
We were able to realize all the parts I thought were a “must have.”​

------

06bdb2_8dae29ee63c543948e4cedfe1147462c~mv2.jpg

06bdb2_b823d366522a449d84ac48fc9038b579~mv2.jpg

Abdiel

The use of heroin and peaked instead of piqued are killing me, but the content of the interview is good.

Sheesh though at heroin.

Setsu00

The XV team lied about the changes made to Versus XIII during TGS 2014. They said they didn't change the scenario, but they obviously did. They refused to comment on Stella when they had already cut her from the game. They weren't honest and it backfired for them.

Go_Ly_Dow

This confirms that Kingsglaives budget has been absorbed into FFXV as a whole.

Before the release of FFXV you are creating a type of time line with the movie and demo, like in Dragon Quest.

Tabata:
For that purpose, I had Nozue transferred from Square Enix's cinematic production division, Visual Works, to the secondary business division that is making FFXV. Visual Works gets orders from other divisions and makes things like game cinematic. Fundamentally their work is appraised to have no impact on game sales. However, I proposed to Nozue that I wanted him to create a video within a division that has results, in other words one that is evaluated with game sales. By doing that, I thought he could work bearing the same responsibility, resolution, and goal as us.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This interview isn't exactly new. Maybe newly translated but I remember writing about it a while back.

Edit: Yeah, back in April!

ST2K

The information about open-world design and dealing with the team's doubts is enlightening.

I have a feeling if FFXV doesn't hit, FF will never be the same again.

Ishida

Banned
"Despite not having completely making public the settings for Stella, an image had already formed itself in the minds of players. After that happens, it is difficult to simply change her role."

Yes, this is exactly what I've been saying about the Stella cult that formed during the Versus days. Glad that Tabata acknowledged it. If he says Luna's role is bigger than Stella's, I believe him. I believe the changes were for the better.

Koozek

This interview isn't exactly new. Maybe newly translated but I remember writing about it a while back.

Lol, yeah, just realized it, too, when I read the later parts and then checked the date of the original interview. Edited the post. Still, a few of the quotes could be new to some here.

Asd202

̶
Nozue:
To exchange opinions with everyone, we went on a small camp and discussed until we were all satisfied.

4Gamer:
When was this?

Tabata:
Right as we merged together with Luminous Studio a few months after announcing FFXV at the 2013 E3. At that point in time, the engineers wouldn't listen and insisted, “With Square Enix's current know-how, an open world is impossible.” That trend was especially strong with our foreign engineers.

No wonder SE was such a mess. They even say here that they thought they suck. A studio from mostly Polish background has better "know how" than Japan developers which were making games since 80s. Crazy.

Maniel

Banned
I have a lot of respect for Tabata for pushing the envelope in japanese game development no matter how the game ends up. Good interview.

Koozek

The XV team lied about the changes made to Versus XIII during TGS 2014. They said they didn't change the scenario, but they obviously did. They refused to comment on Stella when they had already cut her from the game. They weren't honest and it backfired for them.

xkV0kT7.gif

artsi

No wonder SE was such a mess. They even say here that they thought they suck. A studio from mostly Polish background has better "know how" than Japan developers which were making games since 80s. Crazy.

First you need to acknowledge the problem before you can fix it, it might suck to admit that they made a turd with XIII but at least they're on the right path now.

Engineers thought that HD towns are hard, open world is hard, airships are hard... but Tabata didn't take that crap and TA-DAH looks like they're not that hard after all when you got the right motivation.

wmlk

I don't think they lied about the changes, they just didn't speak about them. The whole 'no comment' thing on Stella included.

Maybe it would have been better to speak about them right when the occurred, but Tabata probably wanted to get Duscae out first so there's something tangible.

If you could find where he said nothing's changed, then that would change my mind on it.

Philippo

Good luck with that.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I think this has more chances of happening if XV fails, since his managerial skills will be highly regarded nonetheless, wheter if the game succeedes he'll go on developing another game (which i'm still down for of course).

Koozek

I think this has more chances of happening if XV fails, since his managerial skills will be highly regarded nonetheless, wheter if the game succeedes he'll go on developing another game (which i'm still down for of course).

Read your sentence again :D

Koozek

I don't think they lied about the changes, they just didn't speak about them. The whole 'no comment' thing on Stella included.

Maybe it would have been better to speak about them right when the occurred, but Tabata probably wanted to get Duscae out first so there's something tangible.

If you could find where he said nothing's changed, then that would change my mind on it.

Yeah, wanted to ask the same.

giphy.gif

Every FF game that I have played from releasehas given me a wooow feeling in it's own way. My first FF was X and I was amazed at the voice acting. Played XII at release and was blown away how far games had come, the world was so vast.

In HS, it was impossible to ignore the hallway complains for FFXIII but when I played it on Day1, I was again blown away by the visuals and by just how much they stepped up their story spectactle. Now here we are and I am still holding out in my 20s that FF will deliver in bringing me that bone chilling moment of a better step in quality for gaming. I got faith in u Tabata

Setsu00

Yeah, wanted to ask the same.

giphy.gif

The core of FFXV hasn’t changed in that time, Tabata explained. “In terms of the story and background establishing elements to the story, those have not changed,” he said. That said, since the platform change two years ago, Tabata and former Director Tetsuya Nomura have made minor changes over time, “so it’s not exactly the same.”

Kingsglaive (and Nyx) itself is a major change to the story's structure and was obviously planned to be part of the game.

Koozek

Kingsglaive started development in 2013, btw, when Nomura was still the director.

Well, "the core" hasn't changed, and whoever followed Versus knows that since 2006-2008 and also every time Tabata was asked about Stella before they officially revealed Luna he said he couldn't comment about the story and characters and would do so at a later time, so technically he wasn't lying.

This is from Wiki before FFXV was revealed:
Final Fantasy Versus XIII involves Noctis Lucis Caelum, a prince descended from an ancient lineage of royalty. His home country is an isolated and highly developed city state, which has his father as king. This city state holds the world's last crystal. The city state is in isolation of the outside world due to a desire to protect itself from all other nations. The story begins at the end of a long cold war. Unexpectedly, another nation invades Noctis' city state and steals the world's last crystal for their own. Once news of the crystal's capture spreads worldwide, it ignites a global conflict as all other nations begin to want the crystal for themselves and therefore send their military to capture it. Against this backdrop of a world at war, Noctis and his closest friends embark on an epic journey to try and get the crystal back.​

This is from the official FFXV site now:
Enroute to wed his fiancée Luna on a road trip with his best friends, Prince Noctis is advised by news reports that his homeland has been invaded and taken over under the false pretense of a peace treaty – and that he, his loved one and his father King Regis, have been slain at the hands of the enemy.

To gather the strength needed to uncover the truth and reclaim his homeland, Noctis and his loyal companions must overcome a series of challenges in a spectacular open world - that is filled with larger-than-life creatures, amazing wonders, diverse cultures and treacherous foes.​

It's still about the bros' road-trip to reclaim Noctis' throne (where the crystal resides in), taken by Niflheim.

But whatever, we could argue forever about whether he was willingly lying to deceive Versus fans, because why wouldn't he, or they just decided to find the right time to address all general changes at once and explain the reasoning behind it, like condensing Nomura's multi-title saga into one single, cohesive game and not wanting to mess too much with Nomura's original character that some felt attached to already, instead creating a new character, which they did in the ATR in 2015 with Nojima's approval also. I don't care about the changes as long as they felt they were for the better of FFXV. We don't even remotely know what Versus Stella would've been like at that point and everything Tabata said about the decision to create Luna implies that Stella's role was not big enough (as said in this interview). We'll probably never know, though I hope they disclose it fully in some future Making Of or Ultimania.

So, you choose whatever narrative you like the most. I choose the one where I trust a team of highly passionate and hard-working people, who obviously spent a lot of time and thoughts on these decisions during the development.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Seems like a lot of defense around his changes to the story and world, especially Luna. Why not let her speak for herself as a character? What about Stella's original role in which she plays opposed to Noctis made it smaller according to him?

The answers to these questions we'll never know about from anyone, but bringing it up in that manner seems like kicking up dirt just to get people riled up again.

Seems like a lot of defense around his changes to the story and world, especially Luna. Why not let her speak for herself as a character? What about Stella's original role in which she plays opposed to Noctis made it smaller according to him?

The answers to these questions we'll never know about from anyone, but bringing it up in that manner seems like kicking up dirt just to get people riled up again.

People are too sensitive, at least the man has the courage to address it front and center. The head canon people created have only themselves to blame. I'll say this would I prefer Stella over Luna? Sure, but I'm willing to give Tabata the benefit of the doubt that he did it in the best interest of XV.

Inuhanyou

People are too sensitive, at least the man has the courage to address it front and center. The head canon people created have only themselves to blame. I'll say this would I prefer Stella over Luna? Sure, but I'm willing to give Tabata the benefit of the doubt that he did it in the best interest of XV.

I don't like it because it feels like a way of throwing shade on Nomura and Nojima's original concept(without actually explaining anything about the original concept), whom obviously can't say anything about the project anymore because its no longer their property. I'd rather he not addressed it.

I don't like it because it feels like a way of throwing shade on Nomura and Nojima's original concept(without actually explaining anything about the original concept), whom obviously can't say anything about the project anymore because its no longer their property. I'd rather he not addressed it.

Throwing shade? I didn't get that feeling at all. The situation surrounding Stella is something fans still bring up and want to know more about. So it makes sense for Tabata to mention it.

He's not throwing shades, people keep asking and he responds honestly it's better than ducking like a coward. My theory on the matter is that Tabata was in charged with condensing the trilogy by SE bosses into a single game after the 13 disaster. I guess the reasoning was fans don't want sequels and in order for some things to make sense in XV decisions had to be made. I've been following this since 06 but rarely things in life go according to plan, shit happens ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Inuhanyou

Throwing shade? I didn't get that feeling at all. The situation surrounding Stella is something fans still bring up and want to know more about. So it makes sense for Tabata to mention it.

He's not throwing shades, people keep asking and he responds honestly it's better than ducking like a coward. My theory on the matter is that Tabata was in charged with condensing the trilogy by SE bosses and in order for some things to make sense decisions had to be made. I've been following this since 06 but rarely things in life go according to plan, shit happens ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

At one point he said(about the change) that Lunafreya was much stronger a character than Stella was. That was what first irritated me about it.

If he had not said that, i'd agree shit happens.

At one point he said(about the change) that Lunafreya was much stronger a character than Stella was. That was what first irritated me about it.

If he had not said that, i'd agree shit happens.

Meh, maybe my indifference is because I didn't really care about Stella to begin with. I find it hard to care about a character I know very little about haha. But hey, if Tabata thinks Luna is a stronger character than Stella, that's fine, it's his opinion. I'll see for myself whether or not I like Luna when the game comes out.

Subaru

Tabata seems a great guy to get things done, but I'm afraid that this is his only talent.
I mean it, I wanna see if the game is gonna be good.

At E3 I had the chance to go to a Roundtable and it was pretty obvious that his priority was getting the game released. Was his response to two questions (about PS4Neo version and DLCs - "we just want to finish the game"). And I'm pretty sure that the September 30th date is to avoid to have to have the PS4Neo version on launch - so they are rushing to release FFXV in the last possible day.

Their last presentations (E3, Platinum Demo and even Duscae) make me be very worried about FFXV, c'mon, that Titan fight was terrible.

I was so baffled that the camera was so awful in Duscae that I will wait until the game comes out to become more optimistic (if it is really good). I love Final Fantasy and I can't wait to play it, but something is strange about XV...

Famassu

First you need to acknowledge the problem before you can fix it, it might suck to admit that they made a turd with XIII but at least they're on the right path now.

Engineers thought that HD towns are hard, open world is hard, airships are hard... but Tabata didn't take that crap and TA-DAH looks like they're not that hard after all when you got the right motivation.
HD towns were "hard" for FFXIII not because they lacked the skill to make them, but because of time constraints. They messed around with the Crystal Tools for so long that once they got around to actually develop the bulk of FFXIII's content they had so little time left to develop the full game that creating cities with the level of FFXIII's production values with NPCs, stores, all kind of interactive elements, side quests, possible mini-games and whatnot + integrating those cities into the world & story well was impossible with how little time they got left for the development. It wasn't so much that it was too hard for them to make HD towns and more because it was hard to add such big time sinks into whatever limited time they had left to finish & ship FFXIII.

Ray Down

Banned
Tabata seems a great guy to get things done, but I'm afraid that this is his only talent.
I mean it, I wanna see if the game is gonna be good.

At E3 I had the chance to go to a Roundtable and it was pretty obvious that his priority was getting the game released. Was his response to two questions (about PS4Neo version and DLCs - "we just want to finish the game"). And I'm pretty sure that the September 30th date is to avoid to have to have the PS4Neo version on launch - so they are rushing to release FFXV in the last possible day.

Their last presentations (E3, Platinum Demo and even Duscae) make me be very worried about FFXV, c'mon, that Titan fight was terrible.

I was so baffled that the camera was so awful in Duscae that I will wait until the game comes out to become more optimistic (if it is really good). I love Final Fantasy and I can't wait to play it, but something is strange about XV...

No, it's been said that late September games need Neo patches...

Famassu

Really? Because Tabata said on that roundtable that they are just focused in XOne and PS4 versions (no PS4K).
They are probably focusing on finishing the OG PS4 & Xbone versions. Whatever possible PS4K patch will be released, it'll be worried about after FFXV PS4 has gone gold (and gotten its day 1 patch finished).

benzy

Really? Because Tabata said on that roundtable that they are just focused in XOne and PS4 versions (no PS4K).

I'm pretty positive a Neo patch will come eventually. I don't think there's a single dev who's mentioned they're already working on Neo patches even though we know it's coming. No one will say anything until Sony officially makes its big reveal detailing specs and release plans. Kaz Yamauchi, director of Gran Turismo Sport, avoids the question everytime someone asks if GT Sport will take advantage of Neo, he just says "Oh, it's been revealed? I haven't heard about it" despite being a Sony first party dev and the game launches in November.

Tabata was pretty interested in Scorpio and giving players the chance to play XV on new consoles.

http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xvs-director-says-he-found-out-about-scor-1782212512

Tabata: It’d be really great though if we could have Final Fantasy XV something we can play on the current-generation Xbox One and PS4 and also give them that choice that when the new, stronger-generation hardware comes out, to have them play at that level as well. I’d really like to be able give them that... I think you’ve probably got a 4K TV in your house, haven’t you?

Schreier: (laughing) No, I don’t!

Tabata: It’d be really great if we could give people the option, so the people who have hardcore 4K TVs, they could play on those. Just like you I don’t have a 4K TV, so we should play on the current generation.​

Tabata:
We are also humans so we also can't bear the thought of putting our best effort into something we believe to be right and having that become the target of criticism. Or, when staff that didn't work on Versus XIII gets involved with a part of the project, I'm sure they feel like they are doing something wrong. That's not a healthy state to be in so I decided not to carry over the so called “soul”of things, which we could have left. This includes Stella.
Am I wrong in thinking that Nomura was not particularly enthused about the changes going into his directorial debut based on this quote?

I get the feeling that he and Tabata could not co-exist more than he needed to focus solely on KHIII; it also sounds as if the KH team weren't happy to be usurped. I really hope the entirety of Stella's design and character gets a shot in another game.

Ray Down

Banned
Am I wrong in thinking that Nomura was not particularly enthused about the changes going into his directorial debut based on this quote?

I get the feeling that he and Tabata could not co-exist more than he needed to focus solely on KHIII; it also sounds as if the KH team weren't happy to be usurped. I really hope the entirety of Stella's design and character gets a shot in another game.

Why would you ever think that from that quote. Nomura leaving wasn't his choice but a company decision.

Nomura has trust in Tabata, he was the one to bring him in to direct Crisis Core after only doing phone games.

Inuhanyou

Nomura wasn't going to be working soley on KH3 to begin with, since he is working on FF7R more than anything.

Being displaced from his own original creation as a company decision was bound to be humiliating for him, and then to see the changes..yeah, i don't think it left Nomura feeling good.

Why are people so set on believing that Nomura and Tabata don't like each other? Is there an article or something I missed? (which is entirely possible) I simply assumed he got taken off the project because Nomura had the Kingdom Hearts series to deal with (no doubt Disney was putting on the pressure lol) and now FF7 Remake as well.

If he had kept Versus 13 going the way he wanted (a game with sequels), I imagine having so many games to work on would have driven that poor man to his grave, I can't imagine how much stress he must be under.

Subaru

They are probably focusing on finishing the OG PS4 & Xbone versions. Whatever possible PS4K patch will be released, it'll be worried about after FFXV PS4 has gone gold (and gotten its day 1 patch finished).

Exactly. That is what I was trying to say: they will make a PS4K version, but they don't need to release on day 1 because it is in September. From October onwards they need to release PS4K version Day 1.
Sorry guys, I was not expressing myself correctly.

Not a huge fan of Tabata saying 'an empty world is OK'. Was Nomura just lying when he said Versus had an open world? It sounds like the open world aspect was decided upon after the game became FF15.

Top Bottom