• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hero helping autistic man; on ground, hands in air, shot by Miami gang (police)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another case of being shot because black.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article90905442.html

When a 23-year-old autistic man carrying a toy truck wandered from a mental health center out into the street Monday, a worker there named Charles Kinsey went to retrieve him.

A few minutes later the autistic man was still sitting cross-legged blocking the roadway while playing with the small, rectangular white toy. And Kinsey was prone on the ground next to him — a bullet from an assault rifle fired by a police officer having struck his leg.

“He throws his hands up in the air and says, ‘Don’t shoot me.’ They say lie on the ground, so he does,” Kinsey’s attorney Hilton Napoleon said Wednesday. “He’s on his back with his hands in the air trying to convince the other guy to lie down. It doesn’t make any sense.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article90905442.html#storylink=cpy

Wilsongt

http://wsvn.com/news/local/video-shows-moments-before-north-miami-police-shot-unarmed-man/

NORTH MIAMI, FLA. (WSVN) - A therapist who works with people with disabilities is telling his story after he said police shot him while he was trying to help his patient with autism.

Cellphone video was released Wednesday afternoon showing Charles Kinsey lying on the ground with his hands in the air, telling officers that weapons are not necessary. “When I went to the ground, I went to the ground with my hands up,” Kinsey said, “and I am laying there just like this. Telling them again there is no need for firearms. He is autistic. He has a toy truck in his hand.”

In his hospital bed and wearing bandages, Kinsey said, he was attempting to calm an autistic patient who ran away from a group home. Kinsey could be heard in the video saying, “All he has is a toy truck. A toy truck. I am a behavior therapist at a group home.”

He is also heard asking his patient to calm down. “Rinaldo, please be still, Rinaldo. Sit down, Rinaldo. Lay on your stomach.”

The ordeal went on for a few minutes before Kinsey said one of the officers shot him. “I’m like this right here, and when he shot me, it was so surprising,” Kinsey said. “I thought it was a mosquito bite, and when it hit me I had my hands in the air, and I’m thinking I just got shot! And I’m saying, ‘Sir, why did you shoot me?’ and his words to me were, ‘I don’t know.'”

Do you even have to ask?

Kieli

The brave officer will not face any repercussions because the entire legal system of America is currently occupied with fighting heinous pirate kings in Poland.

Please understand.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
‘Sir, why did you shoot me?’ and his words to me were, ‘I don’t know.'”

#ConversationsIn2016America

"I don't know."
Well lets fucking find out America. The biggest thing I take out of this is that cops should answer to a federal authority, and be under very similar scrutiny as American civilians. My inner-revolutionist is going to get out of hand if I'm expected to endure this day after day

when all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail

I don't know how to read this other than another meaningless jab at gun control. This is about failed police culture, mentality, and education

Zubz

Banned
How did that call for any kind of retaliation? We needed police reform decades ago, but this past year's really brought it into the public eye. And yet we have nothing to show for it except for a bunch of middle-ager on Facebook chanting "#BlueLivesMatter" or something equally uninformed. It's disgusting, and as a guy who works with people with mental health disorders, it's terrifying, too.

Gattsu25

Banned
The brave officer will not face any repercussions because the entire legal system of America is currently occupied with fighting heinous pirate kings in Poland.

Please understand.

Different part of the legal/justice system.

You'll likely still be right, though.

My brother has mental disability so this hits a little close to home. And the guy shot was working with and taking care of people with autism.

Please make sure that Cop is jailed. Goddamnit America.

Nephtis

Let's suppose we can give the cop the benefit of the doubt here and say he just had a itchy trigger finger, and could have been accidental.

OK, so it was an accidental shooting right? So... Why the fuck did he cuff the victim and why was he laying there for minutes instead of the cops administering first aid? Why have the cuffs at all? I mean FFS.

geardo

"I don't know."
Well lets fucking find out America. The biggest thing I take out of this is that cops should answer to a federal authority, and be under very similar scrutiny as American civilians.

Federal Administration of Policing the Police has a nice ring to it.

Thank god he survived and this was recorded. Will be much tougher for any character assassination to occur.

That being said, I'm still not confident that the cop will get punished in any significant way.

Thank god he survived and this was recorded. Will be much tougher for any character assassination to occur.

That being said, I'm still not confident that the cop will get punished in any significant way.

Of course not. "Shit happens" when you're part of this master-race brotherhood of glorified criminals. Let's embrace what they're pedalling so we can effectively deal with it

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Let's suppose we can give the cop the benefit of the doubt here and say he just had a itchy trigger finger, and could have been accidental.

OK, so it was an accidental shooting right? So... Why the fuck did he cuff the victim and why was he laying there for minutes instead of the cops administering first aid? Why have the cuffs at all? I mean FFS.

Why would you still have like fucking assault rifles trained on a guy who's gone beyond the realms of sanity in co-operating and an autistic kid with a toy truck.

YEAH THIS IS GONNA DEVELOP ANY SECOND NOW.

They're not in a fucking warzone, but the equipment and the training and everything has trained these people more like Starship Troopers than custodians of justice or whatever the fuck.

I dunno why this is the incident thats made me the most angriest. Maybe because its just the stark fucking contrast of someone actually doing their job to protect a weak member of society set upon by fucking thug cunts with assault rifles. America you are the fucking worst.

Krejlooc

Banned
Of course the dude is black, lmao. As though it isn't obvious enough by the pains he went through to try to communicate that he was complying and unarmed.

God fucking dammit.

This dude better get a good lawyer and get paid.

And the officer should lose his job. It sounds like the gun went off by accident but there was no reason for it to be out of the holster in the first place.

North Miami isn't Miami. Well..not where the good folks live. Move, so you don't get shot..

giphy.gif

kirblar

Racism + utter incompetence = this

Hopefully this results in a cop off the force (since he clearly can't handle a gun properly) and this guy making a full recovery along with a big paycheck from the government.

"I don't know."
Well lets fucking find out America. The biggest thing I take out of this is that cops should answer to a federal authority, and be under very similar scrutiny as American civilians. My inner-revolutionist is going to get out of hand if I'm expected to endure this day after day

I don't know how to read this other than another meaningless jab at gun control. This is about failed police culture, mentality, and education

Gun control? No.

It's more of a point about police seeing erratic behavior or seeing something unusual or seeing non-compliance as a threat that must be neutralized.

Ploid 3.0

Maybe this would happen far less if we could hire a private military cooperation instead of cops? Do PMCs turn on the person they serve like this?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
This dude better get a good lawyer and get paid.

And the officer should lose his job. It sounds like the gun went off by accident but there was no reason for it to be out of the holster in the first place.

No.

The officer should go to prison for a year or two and be banned from owning or operating a firearm ever again.

You CAN NOT just shoot social workers for no reason and say "my bad."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom