• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Drakengard 1

self-flagellation.jpg

If you are a fan of Nier, have you ever thought to yourself "I've heard of the Drakengard/Drag-on Dragoon games and know Nier is a result of the last ending of Drakengard. Nier is a cool albeit flawed game, I wonder what its predecessor is like?"

Well, curiosity killed the cat. Now when I went into the game, I knew the two things everyone knows about Drakengard.

1. Ending D involves gigantic babies coming down from the sky during the apocalypse
2. Ending E involves you taking a portal to real world Tokyo and destroying the world after fighting the worst boss ever, and this leads to Nier

And the game does indeed go completely insane starting at Ending A. It devolves into some really, really, really surrealist horror shit. Not just flying baby monsters, but giant demon children. It makes the weirder parts of Nier and the second half of Bloodborne look tame. This game is on the level with some Illbleed or Phantasmagoria, where the game is pretty fuckin' bad but you want to keep playing just to see what the hell happens next.

While playing Drakengard, you are likely to think "Well it can't possibly get any worse" in regards to story and gameplay and then be proven wrong very fast. Now I'm known to like some pretty bad games like No More Heroes 1/2 or Deadly Premonition but I'm going to scratch Nier off this list because Drakengard's gameplay makes Nier look like Bayonetta. Drakengard came out a full two years after Devil May Cry 1 but has more in common with crappy PS1 games like Nightmare Creatures. Drakengard isn't designed to be fun. This isn't the only game I can think of thats like this - in No More Heroes 2 there is a very long, very poor level before the Alice boss fight and a 45 minute long arena before the Margaret boss fight where you will think your game has broken because it just keeps looping new enemies in. I fully believe those were designed to be crap on purpose. Undertale's genocide run shares some of this DNA, where the final boss is so absurdly difficult that he appears impossible to beat at first glance. The difference is that those games have good moments at times. Shooting dudes in Deadly Premoniton sucks and so does the driving, but walking around and doing quests can be enjoyable. No More Heroes has awesome boss fights. Drakengard is never fun. Never good.

Drakengard takes this to sadistically cruel levels. There are two different types of stages in Drakengard - on foot and in the air. Well, there are Diablo-like isometric levels but they are so easy I'm not even going to count them. Neither of them are fun. On foot I would describe as "Dynasty Warriors 2, but worse" and in the air as "Lair, but worse." You may be saying to yourself "But neither of those games are very good to begin with." And you'd be correct because Drakengard is way worse then either of them. Drakengard starts out as a simple game (that runs very very very poorly) where you just hack down hundreds of dudes. When you get the dragon you shoot things out of the air. I would say the dragon levels are slightly better because they are shorter, but you still have to wrestle with the absurdly awful controls. If that wasn't enough, every level is 5x longer then it needs to be. You will mindlessly cleave your way through thousands (and I actually mean thousands, I think I ended up at around 30,000 enemies killed) of soldiers on your quest because Caim is a psychopath. Caim is the most interesting part of the game to me because eventually you lose the duality of good and evil and just turn into a force of nature that can't talk and can only proceed by slaughtering everything. As the world turns more and more hellish it doesn't effect you because there's still shit to kill in front of you and I guess thats me playing this game because I'm only beating it cuz im so pissed off and spiteful that I have to win.

Now the game doesn't start out fun, but it likes to mix shit up by getting worse as you go on. First its the magic immune enemies, to rob you of dealing with the hordes as easy as possible. Then its annoying flying enemies like the reaper or anything that blocks your attacks. Then its guys with two shields that just run you over and knock you on your ass all the time. This is the main difficulty point in the on foot missions, enemies that knock you on your ass constantly. Then they get magic immune later. Then its the giant Manah boss fight. To be fair, Manah isn't that difficult but until that point in the game I was not aware that you could shoot single bursts as the dragon and not lock-ons that are far weaker but better for more enemies. I got so mad trying to kill Manah with just the bursts. Then its the dragon vs dragon fight. Then its you vs the dragon. Then its giant flying babies. Then its the babies again except they kill you in 4 hits now and you have to avoid all their bullshit. Then its the actual final boss. The game never stops getting worse. Right when you think you're at the bottom of the barrel its revealed there's a false bottom and theres more bullshit. Did I mention the part where to get the last ending you need to collect every weapon with such fun requirements as "Stand still like an idiot for twenty minutes" or "beat this bullshit level in 3 minutes with 75% hp left" or my favorite "examine these four paintings in order by running up to them despite there being zero indication that this does anything and being the absolute only time in the game where you need to do this." You absolutely need a guide for this game. It's Simon's Quest levels of nonsense at times.

But lets talk about the final boss for a second. Yoko Taro, I fucking hate you. It's not the actual worst final boss ever despite what I had heard because Sonic Generations exists but holy crap is it a tedious piece of work. The actual boss is not a real encounter that you fight like other bosses. You fly on your dragon in a circle around her gaping mouth in the center of a black and white Tokyo with a bell ringing. She will erupt out white rings and black rings, and you must match them with your own. This sounds really simple, and it is most of the time. You must keep this up for three minutes. However there are 3 or 4 times when the game just punches you in the dick with extremely difficult sections. You are allowed to screw up normally, but in these rapid fire sections if you fuck up even once you have to start over. So the vast majority of the fight consists of tedium that a toddler could do until the game decides to be an asshole and blast you with a metric ton of bullshit. Once you do beat the boss the Japanese Air Force shoots you down with fighter jets and you die, which is pretty awesome. The entire Ending E sequence is really cool, except for the part where you fight the boss. If you do the free expedition mission after you can turn your dragon into a jet which is a really cool easter egg.

Did I enjoy Drakengard? Absolutely not. As I said above as a game its terrible. But as an experience where you just sit there and wonder what the FUCK is going on its pretty cool. Is it worth shifting through hours of tedium and garbage so you can see some weird shit? No. Would you be better served just watching the game on YouTube? Yeah probably. There are really cool things about it, but I came out of it with the feeling of wondering what the game would be like if it didn't suck.

But I'm going to continue to Drakengard 2 (unless I am convinced otherwise) because I've heard some shit about 3. If I need a guide for the weapons for those two like you do for the 1st, I'd appreciate someone linking the best ones.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
But I'm going to continue to Drakengard 2 (unless I am convinced otherwise)

Not written by Yoko Taro and out of Cavia's hands, generally not considered canon. I would not bother. Great remixed theme song of the original though.

because I've heard some shit about 3. If I need a guide for the weapons for those two like you do for the 1st, I'd appreciate someone linking the best ones.

Don't bother with 3 either, it was a victim of its lower budget, and a lot of the script itself is cringey with the backstories being kept in outside the game material. Gameplay is also monotonous

SephLuis

Drakengard 1 was made to be unfun. If I am not mistaken, Yoko Taro said that genocide shouldn't be fun, thus how the game turned out.

I played Drakengard 2 until half of the game and stopped. Don't know if I will ever come back to it.

Drakengard 3 is something of a guilty pleasure of mine, but if you could go through Drakengard 1, you can finish Drakengard 3 without any problems. It's slightly worse than Nier in the gameplay department.

The game was never intended to be fun and it isn't. There's a limit to the amount of nihilism I can handle, Drakengard knocks on that wall pretty hard. The game ends up in this weird nebulous state where I simultaneously despise and appreciate almost everything about it. At least I can say that it is satisfactory unlike the other Drakengards for me.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The game was never intended to be fun and it isn't. There's a limit to the amount of nihilism I can handle, Drakengard knocks on that wall pretty hard. The game ends up in this weird nebulous state where I simultaneously despise and appreciate almost everything about it. At least I can say that it is satisfactory.

That was indeed the point. Its a horrible experience(for many reasons) but a rewarding one at the same time

Drakengard 2 is a shit game for reasons that don't make it endearing like the first game. You're better off just reading this LP instead.

Drakengard 3 is still worth checking out, though while mediocre in the areas of gameplay and technical performance it's got that patented Yoko Taro weirdness that still makes it stand out from the rest of the series. Drakengard was bleak as could be, NieR was a tragedy with a lot of heart, and Drakengard 3 is a black comedy. Like, so much so that I wondered if The Dark Id somehow happened to ghost write the plot.

Good write up though. I live for this kind of stuff, people experiencing this masterful train wreck of a game for themselves.

I have very similar thoughts about the game. I absolutely love the balls to the wall story and characters, and how the utterly horrible and bizarre music compliments the tedious killing. I love the ridiculous final boss, I love the atmosphere of utter chaos and despair.

But MY GOD, I CAN'T STAND PLAYING IT.

Edit: I also appreciate the care put into the weapon collection, and how each of them has a backstory, and their appearance changes when you level them up. Probably the only redeemable aspect to the gameplay.

In regards to the other games, I can't say anything about Drakengard 2. However, unless you're really itching to play it, I wouldn't recommend playing Drakengard 3. Instead of the mechanics of the gameplay being abhorrent, it's the framerate. It constantly drops to the single digits, and I hated every moment I had to take control. Story and characters are pretty on point though. Not as well developed as Nier's cast, but they have their own spice, and I appreciate the shift in tone.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The music of the original Drakengard will always fascinate me.

So those who haven't ever heard the music in the original Drakengard have some context:

Drakengard
has
an
odd
but
fascinating
soundtrack
if
you've
never
listened
to
it

Drakengard is odd since it's a wholly fascinating game with a lot to like about it if you find its fascinatingly twisted and dark, yet completely strange world fascinating with a lot of depth to it. Interesting story, music, art, atmosphere... It just... Isn't very fun to play. Which I know it's what they were going for, and it fits with everything else artistically. But it makes it a game I really want to love, but I just don't enjoy it. It's a lot more fun to watch and talk about than it is to actually play it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
You can skip 2 it's kinda not in line with the others without Yoko at the helm, and 3 is pretty decent besides the abysmal performance and final boss. That said now that you've played 1 and Nier you can take a look at Yoko Taro's mindset in creating both of them in this Drakengard 3 pre-release interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD6xCLlF5dY
It doesn't actually contain much of any info on D3 if you're worried about spoilers.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, crazy ride. I actually just finished the Let's Play of Drakengard. Was it worth the time? Yeah, it was. Mostly for 1) Reading all 64 weapon stories, which were some of the most hilarious drunken high shit ever, 2) For the dude's comments as he was playing, some which were pretty funny, and 3) To fully get how the final path plays out where basically everybody dies lol. Now I'm ready to play Drakengard 3, although if it's anything as miserable as #1 was, I may bail out and read/watch a Let's Play of the rest.

Also going back to #1, the weapon stories are amazing. Like the whole game is Swervy levels of drunken programming (my favorite error in the game is how there is a sidequest that takes place while the monk dude Verdet is kidnapped and missing, and OUT OF NOWHERE HE IS IN THE PARTY TALKING TO EVERYONE DURING THE SIDEQUEST :eek: Magic!), but some of these weapon stories were just like "WE GAVE UP". Like I think there were about 2 where instead of writing the 100 words, 4 paragraphs for the story, they just give up and write a 4 line poem that makes no sense and that is the weapon story :lol

Anyhow my favorite weapon story was (paraphrased):

There was a noble who loved hunting and killing the animals in the forest
One day the animals of the forest all had a meeting and decided to kill the noble before he killed them all, so they surrounded his manner
To which the noble replied "Alas, they have come to hunt!"
And then the noble went out and killed every animal in the forest
And lived happily ever after

Also there was a great one about how a town of poor people with a ruthless mayor who took all their money through taxes, saved up to build a single mace and rushed the mayor's manor to kill him only to find out that alas he was as poor as them as the king was taxing him just as much as everyone in town. So they dropped the mace and all lived as happy poor people together.

I was thinking that if I didn't have a full time job and had read this stuff back when I was artsy teenager, I totally would've tried to make a community sourced movie, where all 64 weapon stories were turned into 5 minute short films. It would be AMAZING.

You can skip 2 it's kinda not in line with the others without Yoko at the helm, and 3 is pretty decent besides the abysmal performance and final boss. That said now that you've played 1 and Nier you can take a look at Yoko Taro's mindset in creating both of them in this Drakengard 3 pre-release interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD6xCLlF5dY
It doesn't actually contain much of any info on D3 if you're worried about spoilers.

I'll skip two but this interview just makes me want to play 3. Will I need a guide like 1?

Yeah, crazy ride. I actually just finished the Let's Play of Drakengard. Was it worth the time? Yeah, it was. Mostly for 1) Reading all 64 weapon stories, which were some of the most hilarious drunken high shit ever, 2) For the dude's comments as he was playing, some which were pretty funny, and 3) To fully get how the final path plays out where basically everybody dies lol. Now I'm ready to play Drakengard 3, although if it's anything as miserable as #1 was, I may bail out and read/watch a Let's Play of the rest.

Also going back to #1, the weapon stories are amazing. Like the whole game is Swervy levels of drunken programming (my favorite error in the game is how there is a sidequest that takes place while the monk dude Verdet is kidnapped and missing, and OUT OF NOWHERE HE IS IN THE PARTY TALKING TO EVERYONE DURING THE SIDEQUEST :eek: Magic!), but some of these weapon stories were just like "WE GAVE UP". Like I think there were about 2 where instead of writing the 100 words, 4 paragraphs for the story, they just give up and write a 4 line poem that makes no sense and that is the weapon story :lol

Anyhow my favorite weapon story was (paraphrased):

Also there was a great one about how a town of poor people with a ruthless mayor who took all their money through taxes, saved up to build a single mace and rushed the mayor's manor to kill him only to find out that alas he was as poor as them as the king was taxing him just as much as everyone in town. So they dropped the mace and all lived as happy poor people together.

I was thinking that if I didn't have a full time job and had read this stuff back when I was artsy teenager, I totally would've tried to make a community sourced movie, where all 64 weapon stories were turned into 5 minute short films. It would be AMAZING.

I need to look up the weapon stories because i only got 2 weapons to max

I'm never going to play Drakengard, but its experimental soundtrack, splicing together snippets of orchestral recordings of classical works, justifies the game's existence. As much as I appreciate Okabe's work on Taro's recent games, his music is comparatively a model of conventionality.

A few years ago my friend bought me unopened copies of Drakengard 1 and 2 for my birthday. I played D1 back when it was new-ish, never beat it. Never played D2. Bought Nier twice (360 and PS3), love it.

D1 and D2 remain unopened.

Everyone is better off reading Dark Id's LP of it

Bebpo

Banned
I need to look up the weapon stories because i only got 2 weapons to max

Yeah, definitely at least skim a bunch of the weapon stories. There's some pure gold in there. Some of the best entertainment in the game.

Also like half of them end with "and then the guy kills himself with his weapon" ^^;

theofficefan99

Is the gameplay of Drakengard 3 that absurdly terrible?

The game seems... really charming, in a strange way. I actually care about Zero and Mikhail and I don't even have the game.

I remember playing D1 many, many years ago as a rental and it was so repetitive and un-fun that I didn't pursue buying the full game once my week was up.

BigSauce

Neo Member

The game seems... really charming, in a strange way. I actually care about Zero and Mikhail and I don't even have the game.

I remember playing D1 many, many years ago as a rental and it was so repetitive and un-fun that I didn't pursue buying the full game once my week was up.

I wouldn't say that the the gameplay of Drakengard 3 was THAT bad. I actually kinda enjoyed it. Though it does have performance issues that can hinder the experience. I tended to avoid summoning Mikhail when the option presented itself because the frame rate would tank severely.

It's worth experiencing imo.

This really surprises me, I liked Drakengard 1! Sure, it was very VERY repetitive but it was a satisfying brawler where you take on entire armies and kill everyone in sight. I had fun.

Now 2 was a piece of shit. I tried it right after and remember being incredibly frustrated with it. I gave up only a few levels in.

I have 3 and intended to play it after completing 2 but since that never happened I never played it. I don't know if I'll ever go back to 2 and move on to 3 or just skip it and play 3 some day.

Verelios

Drakengard 2 is a shit game for reasons that don't make it endearing like the first game. You're better off just reading this LP instead.

Drakengard 3 is still worth checking out, though while mediocre in the areas of gameplay and technical performance it's got that patented Yoko Taro weirdness that still makes it stand out from the rest of the series. Drakengard was bleak as could be, NieR was a tragedy with a lot of heart, and Drakengard 3 is a black comedy. Like, so much so that I wondered if The Dark Id somehow happened to ghost write the plot.

Good write up though. I live for this kind of stuff, people experiencing this masterful train wreck of a game for themselves.
I played Drakengard 1 and 2 as they both came out because firstly, they were gifts and I didn't want to be a jerk and refuse DG2, and secondly, I had a lot of time on my hands as a kid. At this point, I really wish I'd spent my time better. Last year I was on a replay kick after trying to see if LOdragoon was as tedious as I remembered, it was, and came across DG1. I figured it was a good time to replay the game, relive some memories and laugh about them, but no. It was brutal. It's like sewing honey cakes to your eyes and then letting ants eat through them, except worse. So I just went and got a LP!

The LP's for 1 and 2 are great. If anyone's interested in the games that's definitely my preferred way of experiencing them, though they can get a little liberal in characterizing. It's always nice seeing other people's interpretations of characters and events.

Drakengard 3's awesome.

Do not play Drakengard 2. Read the Dark Id LP instead.

It's the best playing Drakengard game (better than Nier too imo), but also the worst performing so most tend to prefer Nier's gameplay. At the least it's a lot better than 1's combat though.

The game is around $20. Totally worth it for that price (and yes, Zero and Mikhail make a great duo).

Kouriozan

Damn, now I feel weird to like Drakengard 1, I also finished it and the second game at 100% but never touched or heard of Nier nor Drakengard 3.

Id recommend playing Drakengard if your interested. Reading about a game is never the same as playing it. 2 can most defiantly be skipped, some of the characters are cool, and it has some good music, but that's about it, the story is nowhere near the original.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I worked on this game! Had no idea if people were gonna be into it or not as some of those endings were so weird -- first time we saw the "modern Tokyo" ending we were like "whaaaaaaaaat."

And the babies. Oh god, the babies.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Drakengard 1 - still my favorite Let's Play in the history of Let's Plays:

FINAL BOSS OF DRAKENGARD: CAIM VS DRAKENGARD'S OST (RHYTHM GAME EDITION)

Still alive, eh? Strap in, motherfuckers! Cavia stops pissing around at this point. This final wave demands your eyes and thumbs become one locked entity in-tune with the universe... allowing time and sound to flow through you like a stream.

If you fuck up pretty much any part of this next sequence, you are done.

Final Wave:
Black
Black
White
White
White
Black
White
White
White
Black
White-White-White-White
White
Black
White-White-White-White
White
White
Black
Black-White-Black-Black-White-Black-White-Black-White-Black-White-Black-Black-White-Black-Black-White-Black-White-Black-White-Black-White-Black-White-White-White-Black-Black-Black-White-Black-White-Black-White-White-Black-Black-Black-White-White-White-Black-White-Black-White-Black-White-White
Black

No...that is not a typo...that is not hyperbole...that is Drakengard... That is a forty-nine sequence of button presses that come out non-stop for thirty seconds and must be hit flawlessly or it's back to the very beginning of the entire mission.

This is the final challenge of Drakengard: A barebones Action Brawler/Aerial Combat game with light RPG elements. A game that has an entire soundtrack that is nothing but chaotic dissonance has a rhythm game for its final challenge...

I love Drakengard. I became best friends with someone because of it.

I also love Drakengard 2. Seems I'm the odd one out.

Drakengard was a great game because of how fucked up and oppressive it was. Everyone was awful (except Seere), there were no happy endings, and everyone was just fucking crazy. To this day, nothing has beaten the Furiae/Inuart/Egg scene. Nothing.

Gameplay was bad and clunky, but I still enjoyed it because it was awesome seeing the crazy magic and leveling them up for the short stories. The requirements for some weapons were insane, but my friend and I bonded over the phone back in the day to collect them all. I didn't have internet at home back then, and my friend had hand-written all weapon locations. Bless her. It was just a great bonding experience for us--bonding over things no 12/13 year-olds should be exposed to, but that's how we rolled.

Drakengard 2 was really fun to play because of the revamped combat: smoother, flashier, and your party members were great and unique to play as, too (plus you could switch characters at any time during combat). It also has one of my favorite OSTs of all time: it's completely orchestrated and of insane quality. Seriously, the music is incredible.

The game's not nearly as fucked up as the original--or at all, really--but it was still interesting in terms of lore, especially when you reach a certain place and basically get infodumped/teased.

Drakengard 2 had some genuinely sad moments, and one of the climaxes before one of the endings is just so... real. Also, Drakengard 2's Caim is still a sexy beast. Drakengard 2 also has Urick.

Drakengard 2 is the better game, but Drakengard is the better experience.

I haven't gotten Drakengard 3 (I know, I'm awful) even though it was a dream come true when it was announced. Like, an actual dream. I've been a Drakengard fan since 2004... Jesus... So, Drakengard 3 happening was surreal, and I was broke (like always) when it released, and eventually I just kept pushing the purchase back because of other games and some other shit. And here we are.

Angelus is the best video game dragon of all time, by the way.

I also think it's easier to be a Drakengard fan that likes Nier than it is to be a Nier fan that likes Drakengard. Nier fans are definitely in for a rude surprise like you, OP. I commend the curiosity, though.

I worked on this game! Had no idea if people were gonna be into it or not as some of those endings were so weird -- first time we saw the "modern Tokyo" ending we were like "whaaaaaaaaat."

And the babies. Oh god, the babies.
Oh, that's awesome. Anything you'd like to share? I'd love to hear any stories you might have, honestly.

Yep, sounds about right. I bought this for PS2 when it came out and never bothered suffering through it. Like you, I only later became interested in it after finishing and loving Nier. I just went the YouTube route and watched the 3 games being played while skipping most of the actual gameplay. But even thought I've seen all there is to see, I occasionally want to go back and actually play them. I'll never get around to it though.

Bebpo

Banned
I love Drakengard.

Drakengard was a great game because of how fucked up and oppressive it was. Everyone was awful (except Seere), there were no happy endings, and everyone was just fucking crazy. To this day, nothing has beaten the Furiae/Inuart/Egg scene. Nothing.

Seere is just as awful, he wines and wastes the party's time searching for his sister (who received the brunt of punishments from their mother for bad things Seere would do and blame on Manah), but then when he finds her she lariets him and he responds by CRUSHING HER INTO GOO with his golem pact buddy which in turn causes the end of the entire fucking world (and Tokyo!)

Yeah he's an awful human being in the game's lore. They all are.

Baalzebup

Haha, good read. All true as well, except perhaps the comparison of the air combat being worse than Lair. I definitely liked Drakengard better in that regard. I could even go so far as to say that I even liked playing those parts, which is more I could ever say about Lair.

Drakengard 2 definitely did need a guide to get all the weapons, I remember that much. I'm also a lunatic who 100%'d that game and didn't consider it a total waste of time. It doesn't have the proper brand of crazy to it, but it was still... ok. There were some really good moments, like the scene that marks the return of Caim. I still wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't have enough time, as there are much better games out there. The weapon stories were still dope.

I haven't played Drakengard 1 but

MB6wmZp.jpg

I played D3 and there were some times I wanted to rip my hair out.
Nier is game of generation 7 for me though.

A shame that OP didn't enjoy it, since Drakengard 1 has been on my backlog for awhile. And everybody seems to agree that D2 has no redeeming qualities.

cj_iwakura

In his D3 LP, Dark Id claims that Cavia were fans of his D1 LP, and actually reference it with some of D3's insane jokes.

dragonlife said:
I haven't gotten Drakengard 3 (I know, I'm awful) even though it was a dream come true when it was announced. Like, an actual dream. I've been a Drakengard fan since 2004... Jesus... So, Drakengard 3 happening was surreal, and I was broke (like always) when it released, and eventually I just kept pushing the purchase back because of other games and some other shit. And here we are.

Angelus is the best video game dragon of all time, by the way.

This blows my mind. GO PLAY IT RIGHT NOW. You'll be in heaven.

mcz117chief

I dunno about the weapon stories in Drakengard 1 but 3 has some incredibly good ones. These two are my favourite.

Didja get lost, sir? Well, I'm sorry to hear that. ...A scholar, ya say? How excellent! This village has a fine library. I wager you'll like it very much. There's a kind and beautiful lady what keeps the library runnin'. She loves them books, she does. Spends all day copyin' tomes to make sure they ain't lost to time. But such beauty can be deadly! Aye, her twin sister sings by the village fountain, and she'll have yer head on a plate if ya make false moves on the librarian. Those twins protect the village, they do. ...Eh? Since when? Oh, I couldn't say for sure. Long and longer still. I reckon they'll probably do so until the end of time.

A visitor? Ah, yes. Come hear the song, then. The innkeeper and her daughter will greet you warmly. Their food and drink is without compare, and the girl is a feast for the eyes. The girl's song is the best thing about the place. A single listen will drive all your troubles away. Did you know she has a sister? Ah, if only they sang a duet...

Welcome back, traveler! It's been a while. Come to see the girls again? You certainly do like them! It's been decades since I first told you of them, and yet here you are again. What's that, traveler? You wonder why the girls never age? Ha ha ha! Those are the children of the girls you once knew! Surely you didn't think they were immortal! ...Did you?

I cried T_T

eXistor

I kinda loved Drakengard. It's an obvious shitty game, but there's something there man. For me the music is mind-blowingly good; the monotonous drone of instruments, it gets you in a certain mindset. Actual gameplay is repetitive as fuck, but I was never bored tbh. I have a very high tolerance for shitty elements as long as important aspects are done well and Drakengard fits this bill.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I stopped playing around when you're going to different temples and the game just ups and says "welp, we failed, might as well forget those last two temples we told you about LOL"

It goes to Tokyo? What the heck? I see absolutely no way that can work with what I've seen of the game so far. Overall, the game's atmosphere reminded me of Berserk a little.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
In his D3 LP, Dark Id claims that Cavia were fans of his D1 LP, and actually reference it with some of D3's insane jokes.

That Dark ID Let's Play is in my opinion the absolute best way to experience the sublime insanity of Drakengard.

The others are all worth reading through, particularly the Nier one as the base material is far and away the strongest, and I'd particularly recommend the Drakengard3 one as it covers all the DLC material which substantially inflates the price of the game.

On which note, yes D3 is pretty much a straight-up black comedy, but Yoko certainly isn't phoning it in: The twist reveal of the nature of the apostles is a wonderfully underplayed gag that I found oddly touching, whereas if you think he's dialled back on his desire to really upset his audience... allow me to direct you to the final chapter of Mikhail's diary from the zero (I think) DLC . Like a fucking blade of ice to the heart.

Aki-at

I remember when GamesMaster and a few other magazines say it was like a mashup of Panzer Dragoon and Dynasty Warriors but conviently ignoring what the storyline was like. I was not prepared.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the future entries haha.

I'm never going to play Drakengard, but its experimental soundtrack, splicing together snippets of orchestral recordings of classical works, justifies the game's existence. As much as I appreciate Okabe's work on Taro's recent games, his music is comparatively a model of conventionality.

The entire series has a great soundtrack and it's one of the things I love about it. Seriously it's one of gaming's underrated OSTs.

one last question - will i need an ending guide/weapon guide for drakengard 3 like with 1 and does anyone have a recommendation for the best one? At times it was hard to find out exact locations/criteria for weapons in D1 because no one played that game

mcz117chief

one last question - will i need an ending guide/weapon guide for drakengard 3 like with 1 and does anyone have a recommendation for the best one? At times it was hard to find out exact locations/criteria for weapons in D1 because no one played that game

You just need gold and you can farm that super fast in the challenges.

Top Bottom