• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nightclub shooting in Florida - several injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned

dc89

Two people have been killed and 13 others injured in a mass shooting at a Florida nightclub, according to US media reports.

There are conflicting reports about casualties. Another unconfirmed report said up to 17 people had been shot.

The shooting took place at Club Blu in the early hours of Monday morning, according to Lt. Jim Mulligan of the Lee County Sheriff's Office.

The incident is thought to have taken place during a 'teen night' at the club, with some of the people at the event as young as 13.

One witness says that she heard around 30 gunshots from the scene and believes that these came from a number of weapons.

At least 20 police officers are at the scene and roads in the area have been sealed off.

http://news.sky.com/story/mass-shooting-in-florida-nightclub-report-10511953?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

Vice

That mean it happened 4 hours ago. Why are we just hearing about this?

There are a lot of shootings that just don't get any attention. It takes awhile to get the details, news stations run small crews at night and if it happened around midnight people were just getting in/starting the night shift when it broke.It's also not in a huge city so it has to go local > regional big city > whatever national outlet you're affiliated with, most likely.

Kyonashi

We literally can't go a single week without one of these anymore, huh? It's feeling like every other day.

I'm so, so tired.

EDIT: Teen night? Fucking hell...

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Good god no. I was hoping maybe someone had bumped the other night club shooting thread. Ain't nothing say at this point besides this is sad.

rikichi

This is just terrible. This is not going to stop unfortunately. I'm going tell my kid that this is the norm in the coming years :(

Some days I wish I could be more ignorant of the world around me, if only because every single time something bad like this happens, it drains me so. My condolences to all the victims, poor things will be scarred for life, and to the 2 dead, this should never have happened...here's hoping there are no more casualties.

Hjod

Banned
It's terrible, horrific every time.

But we got to remeber that this happens every day, it's been happening every day for a long time, media just reports it more than they did before.

My heart goes out to the affected of this horrible act.

antonz

PD is reporting there was 2 shootings. A car and house were shot up then the incident at the Club parking lot. Starting to sound like some sort of feud. Ft. Myers has some bad gang related problems

Banglish

It's terrible, horrific every time.

But we got to remeber that this happens every day, it's been happening every day for a long time, media just reports it more than they did before.

My heart goes out to the affected of this horrible act.

Indeed, as horrible as it already is.. it needs to be public knowledge how this is happening every. damn. day. The only way people will start to realize America might need some improved gun regulation.

grumble

Oh for fuck's sake this is almost daily now.

There is a huge issue in society with how people's perceptions of what is common and normal is affected by news reporting. If the news reports every single instance of an uncommon event (like a mass shooting in a counting of 300 million +) then people will get the impression that this is common. If the news reports it more, then people think that it is increasing, or vice versa.

Joni

There is a huge issue in society with how people's perceptions of what is common and normal is affected by news reporting. If the news reports every single instance of an uncommon event (like a mass shooting in a counting of 300 million +) then people will get the impression that this is common. If the news reports it more, then people think that it is increasing, or vice versa.

The list for 2016 is already up to 8 pages though. While 2015 was 14 pages total, 2014 12 and 2013 11.
http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting?page=8
It is 206 events, with the 24th being day 206 of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom