• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shots fired at Berlin university clinic (no signs of being a terrorist attack)

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN1061C1

Just breaking. Wow

Hopefully the doctor didn't sustain fatal injuries.

(Reuters) - German police said shots were fired at a university clinic in Steglitz, a southwestern district of Berlin, at around 1100 GMT on Tuesday.

German newspaper Bild said on Twitter that a doctor had been shot at and the gunman had killed himself. Police did not immediately give any further details.
MOD POWER ABUSE:
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN1061IM
(Reuters) - There are "no signs at all" of a link between a shooting that happened at a clinic in southwestern Berlin on Tuesday and terrorism, German police said.
Ignore the update/OP at your own peril.

Guys it is of course horrifying but we always had such "smaller" events. Don't panic.

I feel like there should be some new rules about posting a new thread for every violent incident around the world. It's counter productive and engenders unnecessary panic at worst and useless "I hope everyone is okay/not this again" posts.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Attempted murder-suicide or terrorist attack? Let's not jump to the latter first.

Seems like the former to me. He shot one guy and committed suicide. As much as it seems messed up to say, if that's the case, this isn't really threadworthy news at all.

Although, it seems OP had the breaking story of "Shots fired" and didn't know the rest.

epmode

Constant threads on everyday tragedies is really warping perception on this forum, not to mention the rest of the internet.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Sounds like somebody who could not cope with his medical condition, was disappointed by the treatment he received from his doctors, ultimately blamed them for his situation, and finally snapped.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I feel like there should be some new rules about posting a new thread for every violent incident around the world. It's counter productive and engenders unnecessary panic at worst and useless "I hope everyone is okay/not this again" posts.
Not a bad idea. But where to draw the line between what is thread worthy and what isn't?

Axe attack, shooting rampage, bombing and now this is definitely not normal in Germany.

Not like they're all connected but it's messy right now.

But it's better to leave the events that are connected separate from random murders or attempted murders. Lumping this in with the world is going to hell narrative just undermines other cases

No, they haven't. Things are worse than usual right now, Europe has a growing crisis on its hands.

Probably true, but the attack that this thread is about is just an "everyday" thing. Someone posted that St. Louis (?) had ~180 murders last year. I.e. you could make a thread about a murder in St. Louis every other day - and that would simply be "normal".

Slaythe

Are they really worse? By what metric?

I can't even reply to you.

I tried, but it would have led me to a ban, I tried to write 4 different messages.

I'm french, so I don't give a fuck about "metrics". Things haven't been that bad for decades.

justjohn

I can't even reply to you.

I tried, but it would have led me to a ban, I tried to write 4 different messages.

I'm french, so I don't give a fuck about "metrics". Things haven't been that bad for decades.
Seems like Gaf has decided to stick its head in sand and pretty much ignore reality. I wouldn't even bother.

Nah all GAF wants is some facts. Evidence trumps comments and knee jerk reactions whether justified or not. No need for that attitude.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
What? If you say "things are worse", people are going to ask "how so?". I'm not even saying they aren't worse, I just figured that because you are saying they are, you have an idea of why that you'd be willing to share.

Lots of strong reactions.

Razorback

Like half a million people are murdered every year worldwide. I don't know what the media is trying to accomplish by reporting on as many as they possibly can.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What terrorist attacks? What are you talking about? Everything is fine in Europe.

I know, its a pretty hard task, but if you would read the news that is linked in the OT you would see that there are no connections to terrorism in this case.

But I guess every murder is now a act of terror and they are all muslim even if they are not.

Bedlam

Seems like Gaf has decided to stick its head in sand and pretty much ignore reality. I wouldn't even bother.
Going into panic mode and labelling every violent incident an islamist terrorist attack before the facts are out is exactly the wrong way to go. Thanks, couch expert!

msv

So everyone's supposed to scream and shout as if every single murder relates to terrorism?

The overreaction seeping from these posts, towards a simple question, doesn't do anyone any good. You two are responding with straight up condescension to someone who might not even be disagreeing with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom