• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here are all the Universal apps launching with the Xbox One Summer Update

LewieP

I still wonder if they'll let VLC or emulators on there. I suspect not.

Is there any published guidelines for what the criteria for getting on Xbox One vs getting on the Windows 10 App Store are?

It's a shame that they'll most likely be letting apps on there on a case by case basis rather than being a bit more open.

mike4001_

It's a shame that they'll most likely be letting apps on there on a case by case basis rather than being a bit more open.

Actually we just don´t know that yet.

At the moment MS picks out apps they want but obviously the goal is that everyone can publish.

If they then can say yes or no remains to be seen.

LewieP

Actually we just don´t know that yet.

At the moment MS picks out apps they want but obviously the goal is that everyone can publish.

If they then can say yes or no remains to be seen.

I would be happy if that were the case, but I really can't see them letting emulators on there. I'm actually surprised Nintendo hasn't taken action to get MS to take down emulators of their systems from the Windows App Store, but you can bet they would have something to say about the same emulators being on Xbox.

mike4001_

I would be happy if that were the case, but I really can't see them letting emulators on there. I'm actually surprised Nintendo hasn't taken action to get MS to take down emulators of their systems from the Windows App Store, but you can bet they would have something to say about the same emulators being on Xbox.

They might have something against it.

But to my knowledge, emulators are 100% legal. Sometimes they use the original BIOS, but they don´t ship with this :)

farisr

I wish Kodi would somehow make its way over, but that has even less of a chance than VLC. I've been wanting a SMB based media player capable of playing 10-bit or x265 files, but have too many upcoming hardware purchases to buy a dedicated one at this point in time.

Edit: wait, it seems like the VLC guys are going to try to bring it over and they've been making updates this year to other versions of their vlc apps (like android) to allow you to browse smb shares. If that happens, and the smb shares can be configured for easy access (like shortcuts or favorite folders or something) then I'll be set.

I can't see them approving emulators, at least not knowingly.

Nintendo and Sony would have a cow the moment a PS1 or N64 emulator popped up on there. It's one thing for emulators to happen through homebrew, but another thing entirely for it to happen on a MS-sanctioned online storefront.

Is there any published guidelines for what the criteria for getting on Xbox One vs getting on the Windows 10 App Store are?

You can play videos with the media player and Plex apps already. Plus there's more to VLC than pirated movies

M3d10n

I suppose they aren't going to whitelist apps that aren't fully usable with a controller. A whole bunch of them requires a mouse to work.

At build they said the plan is no extra curation on Xbone, though they are still wary about emulators.

VLC already confirmed support, I'm sure it will be allowed.

I suppose they aren't going to whitelist apps that aren't fully usable with a controller. A whole bunch of them requires a mouse to work.

The uwp platform supports controller natively, the dev doesn't even have to do anything to support xbone.

However, design wise there are plenty of stuff that simply doesn't work well with controller, some might even get your app in a way that some of the UI is inaccessible, so for now they ask that if you add xbox support for xbone, to at least change the UI placement to avoid these scenarios.

Cyneck

Banned
I can't see them approving emulators, at least not knowingly.

Nintendo and Sony would have a cow the moment a PS1 or N64 emulator popped up on there. It's one thing for emulators to happen through homebrew, but another thing entirely for it to happen on a MS-sanctioned online storefront.

I mean emulators are already available on Google Play store and no one said anything.

jelly

I still don't get what's so amazing about UWA. They still have to be tailored to each platform so they might as well be three different things. Same code base, great but still three bunches. If it doesn't make sense for one of the platforms it won't happen just because it isn't suited or needs a better user input to function well.

Zedox

I still don't get what's so amazing about UWA. They still have to be tailored to each platform so they might as well be three different things. Same code base, great but still three bunches. If it doesn't make sense for one of the platforms it won't happen just because it isn't suited or needs a better user input to function well.

You do realize for apps (not games) using Visual Studio for development is relatively easy to create the UI once you have it for desktop/mobile. You would want things bigger on a TV and use the controller to move around. It's really easy to do that. The logic behind it is the same and that's always the biggest and most complicated part of development. It's just making sure that your design makes sense for a TV.

JP

I may well just be missing it but what's happened to the "Waiting to Install" section in games? Not sure if that was the exact title but it was where I would go when they added new 360 games and I would download them from there.

mike4001_

I may well just be missing it but what's happened to the "Waiting to Install" section in games? Not sure if that was the exact title but it was where I would go when they added new 360 games and I would download them from there.

It´s not a seperate "Ready to Install" section for both games and apps, but you can apply a filter to only show games/apps

JP

It´s not a seperate "Ready to Install" section for both games and apps, but you can apply a filter to only show games/apps
I'm sorry, maybe I'm something as I'm not seeing any way of listing the games that I own which I haven't downloaded. I can't find a sectioned in the store for that either which makes it look like I'll have to search for each game individually to download them.

Before the update I could get straight into Games & Apps and there was a section there for all the games that I owned which I hadn't downloaded to the console.

mike4001_

I'm sorry, maybe I'm something as I'm not seeing any way of listing the games that I own which I haven't downloaded. I can't find a sectioned in the store for that either which makes it look like I'll have to search for each game individually to download them.

Before the update I could get straight into Games & Apps and there was a section there for all the games that I owned which I hadn't downloaded to the console.

OK, you might be blind :D

system-update-04.png

Third item from the top in the left part => Ready to install.

JP

OK, you might be blind :D

system-update-04.png

Third item from the top in the left part => Ready to install.
Thanks. That's weird, as it wasn't listed on mine. I had to go to store and search for Gears of War 3 and download it but it does show the Ready to Install section now...with Triggerheart Exilic being a nice surprise. Maybe it just took a bit of time to update everything as it does seem a bit clunky at the moment.

I'm happy with it now though. :)

Top Bottom