• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Active shooter in Austin, TX. 'Multiple victims' reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately we live in a world which these things are becoming normal. :( It would be a surprise if we have a week without these...

Dishwalla

Banned
Any news stations covering this yet?

Got an NBC News alert on my phone but no coverage on the TV stations yet as far as I can tell.

Edit: CNN has it, saying the situation is over but to still avoid downtown. 1 fatality so far, a woman in her 30s.

Ihyll

Separate shootings

Both scenes secured no word yet if any suspect(s) have been caught or identified

Mecha

I really hate how the frequency of mass shootings and the subsequent media cycles are starting to feel like something out of Groundhog Day.

Machina

Banned
Not entirely true, while atrocities will always happen not all of us live in countries where this is now the norm.

Here are a few:

- Afghanistan
- Iraq
- Brazil
- Venezuela
- Most of Africa
- United States

One of these things is not like the others

Hylian7

I live up north in Round Rock/borderline Austin.

As said every single time something like this happens, and what Obama says every single time: How many more times does this have to happen before something is actually done about the gun problem?

We are quickly approaching the world where 1 mass shooter takes out the other

You know how many common variety acts of gun violence go unreported everyday? The numbers are ridiculous. But as soon as it's indiscriminate or on a mass scale we lose our minds. Just in the last week, I've seen stories of shootings at three different teenage gatherings with numerous people killed and it doesn't even set off a blip. Hell, one of them was a nightclub in Florida.

amar212

Modern media is simply not responsible.

They know reporting on shootings anywhere in the "west world"will bring clicks, so every damn outlet is pushing every story like it is 9/11

Crotian media, and mind you, Croatia is a 3.5M country in the miidle of Southeastern Europe, have this news as "Breaking News" at this very moment.

In the same time, we got 2 murders within our own country in short time and it didn't even catch outside the "black chronics" reports nor it ever got "Breaking News" tagline.

platakul

Banned
You know how many common variety acts of gun violence go unreported everyday? The numbers are ridiculous. But as soon as it's indiscriminate or on a mass scale we lose our minds. Just in the last week, I've seen stories of shootings at three different teenage gatherings with numerous people killed and it doesn't even set off a blip. Hell, one of them was a nightclub in Florida.

yeah. I don't expect this thread to be one the first page when i wake up. Too common

Henkka

Banned

They know reporting on shootings anywhere in the "west world"will bring clicks, so every damn outlet is pushing every story like it is 9/11

Crotian media, and mind you, Croatia is a 3.5M country in the miidle of Southeastern Europe, have this news as "Breaking News" at this very moment.

In the same time, we got 2 murders within our own country yesterday and it didn't even catch outside the "black chronics" reports.

Yeah, same in Finland. Because of Orlando, Nice, Paris, etc, every shooting incident in the west is assumed to be ISIS until proven otherwise. It gets a big headline, then slowly fades as it turns out to be just some personal dispute, murder-suicide, or gang related.

Tugatrix

In the same time, we got 2 murders within our own country in short time and it didn't even catch outside the "black chronics" reports nor it ever got "Breaking News" tagline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4

they ignore this on every occasion

Hip Hop

Yeah, these "breaking news" here in the US are getting bullshit.

samn

Okay so one person has died. Very sad, but how is this a big story?

Personally I don't even read mass shooting news stories anymore. They'd be less frequent if they were starved of publicity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom