• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix projects stage of development

king zell

SolidSnakex said:
"- Final Fantasy XIII (PlayStation 3): 13%
- Final Fantasy Versus XIII (PlayStation 3): 1.3%"

Guh!
:lol :lol

damn why oh why?? I thought they were enhancing the PS2 port (regarding FF13) :(

ethelred

SolidSnakex said:
"- Final Fantasy XIII (PlayStation 3): 13%
- Final Fantasy Versus XIII (PlayStation 3): 1.3%"

Guh!

Bubububut everyone told us they'd be out in 2007. It was only because of Matsuno that everything lagged, and now that he's gone, we're back to yearly installments!

Bebpo

Banned
Hahahahahahahaha

Like I said, FFXIII is 2008, NOT 2007 :p

Square is just going to get by on cheap and easy small budget games until 2008/2009 when their next wave of big titles hit.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
oh shit....ff13 2009 release date confirmed -.-

DS gonna get a lot of ff spin-offs till then...

I thought 2008 for FF13 was pretty obvious myself... I know better than to anticipate huge profile games like that only a year or so after they're shown. 2008 always seemed more believable than 2007. I was thinking late 2007 in Japan at the absolute earliest.

Bebpo said:
Hahahahahahahaha

At this rate, I'm not even sure of this now...

I don't even know if we'll get 3 FF games this generation. Every generation we get at least 3 main FF games (SNES = 4, 5, 6 PS1 = 7, 8, 9 etc), but as this is going to take forever, AND they're making tons of games related specifically to 13, the whole series might just evolve into the subseries of 13. :lol Not that I'd mind. The whole 13 universe so far seems very interesting, and every game seems to be entirely seperate (gameplay, story, AND character-wise) from each other, similar to the main FF series.

edit: oh yeah WTF Crisis Core isn't on that list? :lol

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
cw_sasuke said:
:lol good question.... switched on ps2 ?

that's just stupid. there's a lot of projects they're doing that they haven't said anything about in that list. should we assume that new DS RPG is going to go to PS2 too?

ethelred

davepoobond said:
that's just stupid. there's a lot of projects they're doing that they haven't said anything about in that list. should we assume that new DS RPG is going to go to PS2 too?

This one?

Well, filtered. Oh well.

How much of the game is complete so far approximately?

Nomura
Maybe… 50 percent.

davepoobond said:

Hey he's right. That is pretty stupid. Why would they move it to the PS2? PS3's releasing like next month.

Moving it to the DS would be much more reasonable.

Ceb

Different company, but DMC4 was "5% complete" at last year's TGS. FFXIII playable demo in fall 2007, confirmed.

...believe

Bebpo

Banned
davepoobond said:
Chrono Trigger 2???

Maybe :p

Square's changed to this model lately though since the PS2 launch. They have like 2-3 HUGE titles that they show off for 2-3 years and then finally release, and in the meantime they'll put out a few small titles (some decent, most sucky) and keep showing trailers of the 2-3 big guys until release. Then start showing trailers for the next 2-3 big hits that will come 3 years down the line.

Square Enix is just not that much of an rpg powerhouse anymore. Sure they make great games that sell a ton, but they make less than 1 big rpg a year, while other rpg companies are pumping out 1-2 per year.

With Tri-Ace working on Infinite, gotta wonder if they'll even be a single big SE game released in Japan until 2008.

bud

Wyndstryker said:
Oh snap...that video sequence that they showed in E3 might be the only part of the game actually made o_O

OR IT MIGHT BE ALL CG MADE BY THE SAME GUYS WHO DID THE KILLZONE VID :O

Doube D

and according to the tecmo dude NGS is 20 % and yet it will be out sping 07. Percentages mean shit when it comes to dev cycles with games since they are for the most part made up on the go. Now given that this IS an FF game for the ps3, i say a winter 07 date or an early 08 (march) date for the jpns release is likely.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
ethelred said:
Also, I'm pretty sure this means the Wii games have been cancelled.

i read next month there will be new infos for dqs wii .....

ethelred

tanasten said:
I think not every game is in there. No DQMJ at least.

There's no need to give a completion percentage for DQMJ given that we have a hard and firm release date on it and it's coming out in a couple months.

cw_sasuke said:
i read next month there will be new infos for dqs wii .....

Nuh uhhhh.

Doube D said:
and according to the tecmo dude NGS is 20 % and yet it will be out sping 07. Percentages mean shit when it comes to dev cycles with games since they are for the most part made up on the go. Now given that this IS an FF game for the ps3, i say a winter 07 date or an early 08 (march) date for the jpns release is likely.

Hohaho. I rather doubt it, actually, given that no one from Square Enix has said they're looking at that kind of timeframe for a release (and bear in mind that NGS is a much smaller scale project than a brand new full-installment FF game).

Bebpo said:
Square Enix is just not that much of an rpg powerhouse anymore. Sure they make great games that sell a ton, but they make less than 1 big rpg a year, while other rpg companies are pumping out 1-2 per year.

With Tri-Ace working on Infinite, gotta wonder if they'll even be a single big SE game released in Japan until 2008.

I guess that really depends on how you're defining big.

Quality? Way more than one a year. Many of their non-FF/DQ/KH games are still fantastically high quality.

Sales? Way more than one a year. Even many of their non-blockbuster, tentpole, flagship games sell waaay more than the highest selling RPGs from other companies.

And no big Square Enix games in 2007? I rather doubt that, as we already know several are going to be released then.

Bebpo

Banned
ethelred said:
And no big Square Enix games in 2007? I rather doubt that, as we already know several are going to be released then.

As in?

The only SE games I would count as Major Titles this gen would be:

FFX, FFX-2, FFXI, FFXII, KH, KH2
DQVIII, SO3, VP2, RADIATA STORIES
(Radiata is iffy, since it was almost a small pet project)

*edit*Actually I guess World of Mana will be a pretty big deal and should be '07 but we know nothing of it so far so it's kinda hard to tell.

snatches

Bebpo said:
Hahahahahahahaha

Square is just going to get by on cheap and easy small budget games until 2008/2009 when their next wave of big titles hit.

Hold on for one sec. There were people at GAF of all places that actually thought that FFXIII would be out in '07? What the hell were you guys smoking?

snatches

Bebpo said:
As in?

The only SE games I would count as Major Titles this gen would be:

FFX, FFX-2, FFXI, FFXII, KH, KH2
DQVIII
, SO3, VP2, RADIATA STORIES
(Radiata is iffy, since it was almost a small pet project)

*edit*Actually I guess World of Mana will be a pretty big deal and should be '07 but we know nothing of it so far so it's kinda hard to tell.

Sales wise, there is a huge gap between the bolded and the rest of your list. But as a fan, I can see why you selected the others.

Bebpo

Banned
snatches said:
Sales wise, there is a huge gap between the bolded and the rest of your list. But as a fan, I can see why you selected the others.

Actually I'm just going by budget rather than sales :p

RaijinFY

Star Ocean 3 is a million-seller btw.

Oh and i'm the only who thinks SE will can Crisis Core or something? :p
Maybe on port it on the PS2, who knows...

Bebpo

Banned
RaijinFY said:
Star Ocean 3 is a million-seller btw.

Oh and i'm the only who thinks SE will can Crisis Core or something? :p
Maybe on port it on the PS2, who knows...

I think it will come out on PSP, just around the same time as FFXIII :p

Plus who cares, it's an action game so it's going to be 100% shit.

Ganondorfo said:
Why can square-enix go the EA way and release every year a big final fantasy release? :)

cuase they care about quality. Yearly sequels suck dude! Just look at the Battlefield series. After the White Engine is up and running the development time will decrease.

Soul4ger

Square Enix will get by on cheap and easy games on the DS. No wonder there's been so much content announced for it recently. Between ports and relatively easy to develop new titles, I'm sure they won't have any issue maintaining a decent profit line next year. If you consider the possibility of additional FF remakes, and maybe even some DQ ones... Throw in a Chrono Trigger...

Top Bottom