• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midas

If that weight is accurate, then this thing is huge (4500 grams = 9.9lbs). The original Xbox was 8.5 lbs. Original Xbone was 7.05 lbs.

Those are the largest consoles we've ever had, right?

Well, weight doesn't equal size. It might be that the cooling system or other materials weigh a lot.

vin-buc

215240hhsfnf2nj8hk8dnh.jpg

His remark. White is the color of PS logo, console is black.

I don't know how I feel about the look of that console (per mock-up) lol. It kinda looks strange. I'll hold judgement for the 7th ofc

onQ123

Foxconn artist latest update on our mockup.

- button on the first layer, not second.
- light bar(?) together with button
- 2 USB, at layer 2
- disc drive at layer 1
- power plug (that hole) bigger than OG PS4
- weight 4500g
- white

Veteran worker said....around RMB3000.

It really is 10lbs? wow

Also back to the PS3 OG 3 prong power plug. guess it was true about the PSU being 2X the PS4

I think they are using a high end CPU or this thing has a 2nd chip something is up for this box to be so big & use so much power if it's using 14/16nm chips

1. button on the first layer, not second.
2. light bar(?) together with button
3. 2 USB, at layer 2
4. disc drive at layer 1
5. power plug (that hole) bigger than OG PS4
6. White logo
7. Weight 4500g

Wait... the power plug is BIGGER than OG PS4? How big is this thing?

THE:MILKMAN

It really is 10lbs? wow

Also back to the PS3 OG 3 prong power plug. guess it was true about the PSU being 2X the PS4

I think they are using a high end CPU or this thing has a 2nd chip something is up for this box to be so big & use so much power if it's using 14/16nm chips

I doubt that. The OG PS4 was right on the limit for the figure 8/C8 connector at 250W? I guess the Neo will have a 300-330W PSU.

farisr

Damn it, finally when the xbox one s makes it easier and has the same type of plug as the ps4 (making it easy for me to shift/swap consoles without having dedicated wires). The Neo goes ahead and changes that up.

Oh well, still better than a power brick though.
I see some people doing a direct conversion by this comment. But regions differ in pricing.

The PS4 launched at RMB2899 (around 3000) over there in March 2015.

Jonboy

That mock-up looks horrendous, hopefully it's something better looking than that.

Agree. It looks terrible.

No offense to the mockup creator. I think you did a great job with the mock itself. I just hope it looks nothing like that, lol.

Edit: If they're going for that 2-tiered look, I hope it's more similar to the PS2 like this mock...
My version of the Foxconn artist's work.

I guess it's cool. You could use the front side as a mini skateboard ramp, or plow snow with it.

ardkxSl.jpg

Theonik

If that weight is accurate, Sony can probably fit a pretty beefy TDP in that thing. They might be upgrading the clock to hit 5TF at least.

THE:MILKMAN

I missed the last couple of days, has the Chinese Foxconn guy said anything about the name they will use?

This is a good question. You would think the Neo will have a proper name or subtitle on the console itself which would easily be seen by this worker given the details he's given.

Maybe he doesn't want to spoil it?

Theonik said:
If that weight is accurate, Sony can probably fit a pretty beefy TDP in that thing. They might be upgrading the clock to hit 5TF at least.

I doubt that right now (not completely ruling it out, though). There have been hints here at GAF that there is something under the hood we don't know about but it isn't clear if that relates to the main specs, APU/RAM or is something else.

I do wonder what could add so much weight though, if true. Going from 2.8KG to 4.5KG is a lot. Made of premium aluminium!?

Midas

I don't think you should put too much weight in these rumors. Especially not the price, how would a Foxconn worker know Sony's MSRP for a yet to be released product?

wapplew

This is a good question. You would think the Neo will have a proper name or subtitle on the console itself which would easily be seen by this worker given the details he's given.

Maybe he doesn't want to spoil it?

Factory code for PS4
C for OG
D for slim
G for Neo

Can we name Neo base of this?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

3. 2 USB, at layer 2
4. disc drive at layer 1
6. White logo
7. Weight 4500g

This actually looks like 1 and 1/2 PS4's put together.

wapplew

You know what most interesting? As reckless as the Foxconn artist with Neo and slim drawing, he don't dare to leak any more info of that portable thing.

PaNaMa

Banned
Jeeze I don't suppose they are going dual GPU are they? I just don't see where all the extra weight is coming from.A marginal CPU over clock and a (theoreticaly) newer GPU with lower tdp and less heat doesn't translate into pounds more weight. More curious now than ever.

Jonboy

Jeeze I don't suppose they are going dual GPU are they? I just don't see where all the extra weight is coming from.A marginal CPU over clock and a (theoreticaly) newer GPU with lower tdp and less heat doesn't translate into pounds more weight. More curious now than ever.
Yeah, something feels off about that. The current PS4 is just over 6 lbs.

Perhaps they just really wanted to make it run super quiet? Who knows. 10 lbs is a beast though. Would weigh more than the OG Xbox and come in just under the OG PS3.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Agree. It looks terrible.

No offense to the mockup creator. I think you did a great job with the mock itself. I just hope it looks nothing like that, lol.

Edit: If they're going for that 2-tiered look, I hope it's more similar to the PS2 like this mock...

Forgot about the PS2 look. And I have a phat model sitting right on my book shelf...lol.

Ok, that tiered look isnt so bad now... :)

Guys I got a feeling its gonna look like that latest mock up. Either the Neo or the PS5. The PS2 similarity is enough to convince me. Might make sense with the PS4 keeping pace with the PS2 in sales.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Sony are in a difficult position here. The need to show that there is a difference between the two models at the same time not annoying OG PS4 owners.

Thinking that the best they can do is keep repeating that all versions of PS4 can run any PS4 title.

PaNaMa

Banned
Yeah, something feels off about that. The current PS4 is just over 6 lbs.

Perhaps they just really wanted to make it run super quiet? Who knows. 10 lbs is a beast though. Would weigh more than the OG Xbox and come in just under the OG PS3.

Like, according to the leak the PS4 has 18 AMD GCN CUs on GPU and the Neo has 36. Clock speed goes from 800 to 911. What if, for Neo, they literally added another GPU(think crossfire) and bumped the clocks. That could account for the weight. Nah, that'd be crazy right?

kennyamr

3. 2 USB, at layer 2
4. disc drive at layer 1
6. White logo
7. Weight 4500g

$449 huh?

hmm I wonder if that will be the price specifically for the non-japanese asian region or if that is a direct conversion to the dollar price in America.

As long as it's powerful, I'm definitely in.

PS: They should promote our favorite Foxconn artist to Junior Associate in the marketing department of Sony Asia, he's doing a good job so far promoting this console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom