• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Queens NY imam and his assistant killed by gunman walking home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayons

Banned
This occurred not to far from me and I felt it should be posted. Hopefully the killer is caught soon and put behind bars

article-liberty-2-0813.jpg

A lone gunman killed a Queens imam and his assistant as the pair walked home from Saturday afternoon prayers, shooting each in the head from close range, cops and witnesses said.

Both victims were dressed in Muslim garb when targeted by the shooter, who fled the scene on foot and remained at large. Members of the mosque quickly denounced the double homicide as a hate crime.

Imam Alala Uddin Akongi, the married father of three, was a revered religious leader since his arrival in Queens from Bangladesh less than two years ago. His assistant, 65-year-old Thara Uddin, died about four hours after the attack.

The shooter left his victims lying in their own blood just one block from the Al-Furqan Jame Masjid Mosque in Ozone Park, where the two prayed together only minutes earlier.

The gunshots rang out around 1:55 p.m. on 79th St., said police sources. It was unclear if the killer said anything before he started shooting.

Witnesses described a chaotic scene where the shooter started blasting at the two unarmed victims in the middle of a blistering August afternoon.

“We are devastated,” said Kobir Chowdhury, president of a second neighborhood mosque. “We need to get to the bottom of this. We need to know if they did this just because of our religion.”

The imam was “a very sweet, soft-spoken, humble man,” said Chowdhury, 40. “He’s a role model as an imam, as a father, as a community member. He didn’t have any disputes with anybody.”

Cops and witnesses described the shooter as tall and Hispanic, carrying a large handgun, and wearing a dark blue shirt and short pants. Police received a 911 call with a report of shots fired.

Police, without providing a motive, said initially that the shooting was not a hate crime. The gunfire erupted near a storage facility and a block away from the elevated A train station, officials said.

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/drive-by-shooter-queens-gravely-injures-men-article-1.2749901

_Nemo

Not a hate crime, not terrorism, so what exactly is this? Oh that's right, just a random isolated incident.

Crayons

Banned
Not a hate crime, not terrorism, so what exactly is this? Oh that's right, just a random isolated incident.

Whenever a religious leader is killed like this it has to be investigated

It's possible it's a hate crime, it's possible it's a random act of violence but we can't reach any conclusions until the killer is caught. They were dressed in religious clothing and killed a block away from the mosque, there is definitely some reason to believe it was a hate crime.

Killing innocent, kind, and peaceful people... Pigs with blood thirsty traits need to do something better with life. Go fight an actual war, you sluts. Rest in Peace to the victims and condolence to their families. God knows that if he exist, they'll be in a better place compared to this scumbag. Rot for eternity.

BajiBoxer

Banned
"Police, without providing a motive, said initially that the shooting was not a hate crime."

How can they say this? Shouldn't the correct answer be "we don't know the motivation yet".

Crayons

Banned
"Police, without providing a motive, said initially that the shooting was not a hate crime."

How can they say this? Shouldn't the correct answer be "we don't know the motivation yet".

I agree completely, just because you don't shout some slur before shooting someone in the head doesn't mean it wasn't a hate crime. I don't know why they would say that. Maybe the NYPD are trying to avoid civil unrest

I wonder how sure they are the shooter was Hispanic, he could have also been a Muslim. We have some general resemblance.

Hopefully whoever did this gets caught before hurting anyone else. RIP

Certainly appears at first glance to be a possible hate crime. Perhaps the police know something that they aren't sharing yet. There could be a twist.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I agree completely, just because you don't shout some slur before shooting someone in the head doesn't mean it wasn't a hate crime. I don't know why they would say that. Maybe they are trying to avoid a panic

They don't want people jumping to conclusions or fights getting started over this. Or it could be they have information they haven't released to the public yet because they don't want to guy who did it to know they know until they knock on his door.

Not

Banned
Hate-based crimes in general need harsher punishments than vengeance-driven or need-based crimes. It's the worst reason to do anything to anyone and should have the worst sentence. Would discourage acting on prejudices I think at least.

How do they rule out a hate crime without a motive?

Awful story all around. Cold blooded murder in the middle of the afternoon? Just horrible.

Valhelm

contribute something

Just a guess, but maybe their wallets were taken?

The Argus

The suspect(s) could be an (ex) member of the mosque. Queens is literally the most culturally diverse place on earth, so men and women walking around in their culture/religious clothing is hardly rare.

Two men shot in broad daylight and not mugged is weird. This was premeditated. Very sad.

Crayons

Banned
The suspect(s) could be an (ex) member of the mosque. Queens is literally the most culturally diverse part on earth, so men and women walking around in their culture/religious clothing is hardly rare.

Two men shot in broad daylight and not mugged is weird. This was premeditated. Very sad.

Had to be premeditated.

And I'm not going to say that they don't exist, but I've never met any hispanic muslims, so I don't think it would be an (ex) member of the mosque. Unless the killer wasn't actually hispanic and just looked it.

Deku Tree

So horrible.

Police possible know more about it than they are saying. Maybe they have information that it's not a hate crime, but disclosing the full story would impede the investiagation. There are a lot of possibilities.

Lamel

Banned
Damn dude that's really scary, ruthless murder. There are a lot of Muslims in queens and I bet they are feeling pretty scared. Hopefully the killer is caught soon and the motive revealed.

emag

Had to be premeditated.

And I'm not going to say that they don't exist, but I've never met any hispanic muslims, so I don't think it would be an (ex) member of the mosque. Unless the killer wasn't actually hispanic and just looked it.

Totally OT, but there are lots of Hispanic Muslims in SoCal (as well as various parts of the Spanish-speaking world). I'm sure there are some in Queens as well.

Zapages

Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raajioun.

My Father is so scared due to this type of things... He is blaming Trump's rhetoric...

Seriously, how is this not considered a hate crime and like the Chicago incidence... The whole election season is bad for minorities and Muslims. :|

Our government needs to come out and say something and stop the hate speech that Trump is doing right now before more innocent folks die.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Stay safe muslims in Queens.

Hope they catch the piece of shit, but let's be real, they won't even fucking bother to investigate.

Walpurgis

Banned

Because the police are racist. They gun down black people and spy on Muslims (and if you're both...). I would never step foot in such a hostile place.

Be at peace to the victims.

NastyBook

Disgusting. Shitheel probably thought he was doing something patriotic. Hope he rots in jail when they catch him.

R.I.P. to the victims.

Polari

Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raajioun.

My Father is so scared due to this type of things... He is blaming Trump's rhetoric...

Seriously, how is this not considered a hate crime and like the Chicago incidence... The whole election season is bad for minorities and Muslims. :|

Our government needs to come out and say something and stop the hate speech that Trump is doing right now before more innocent folks die.

Disgusting. Shitheel probably thought he was doing something patriotic. Hope he rots in jail when they catch him.

R.I.P. to the victims.

Jump to conclusions much?

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Jump to conclusions much?

It really isn't much of a jump.

Just like it isn't a jump when a cop shoots an innocent black person and people call the cop racist.

It is clear in American culture where Middle Eastern and Muslims fall, and that is on the bottom of the totem pole.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

It's called murder. You don't need additional inflammatory descriptors.

Polari

It really isn't much of a jump.

Just like it isn't a jump when a cop shoots a black person and people call the cop racist.

It is clear in American culture where Middle Eastern and Muslims fall, and that is on the bottom of the totem pole.

Sarcasm?

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
It's called murder. You don't need additional inflammatory descriptors.

You do when the murder stems from an overlaying issue that has to do with someone's race, religion, sexual orientation, ect...

What Sarcasm.

That Middle Eastern and Muslim Americans face similar prejudice and racial profiling as African Americans?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

R.I.P. to the victims.

Look. Muslim Americans are subject to racism and violence. New York cops have a history of all sorts of crap. But when police immediately say things like, "it's not a hate crime" or " we do not suspect this is a random incident" or "the general public is not at risk" there is sometimes a good reason. So maybe wait a few hours.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Look. Muslim Americans are subject to racism and violence. New York cops have a history of all sorts of crap. But when police immediately say things like, "it's not a hate crime" or " we do not suspect this is a random incident" or "the general public is not at risk" there is sometimes a good reason. So maybe wait a few hours.

Or maybe you don't give a benefit of the doubt to an organization that has proven time and time again that they don't deserve it.

"He really had this aggressive look in his eyes this time, we promise."

Please, get our of here with that. Generally the good reason is to cover their asses or that they just can't be damned when the victim isn't white.

4Tran

The correct statement would be "We don't know the motivation yet, but we're investigating it as a hate crime." That way they're covered if it turns out to be a random murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom