• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Universe; I hate Sega now.

Alex

I didn't want to seem like I was trolling the other thread, so I figured I'd post this here.

Just how much is locked? Do we have any idea? Because I am reading so many random posts around the internet that makes it seem like this game could be so much more.

I am *really* unimpressed so far. Not only is this game nowhere near as polished and well presented as PSO, it has bled a metric freaking ton of content.

Every cool step forward they took resulted in two steps back.

I'm sick of seeing catastrophic omissions and gigantic red gates indicating locked content every time I turn around. I've never been so disgusted with a company in all of my gaming as I am with Sega now.

People talk shit about EA, and they deserve it, but EA doesn't bolt down 50%+ of your game and force you into paying a fee, threatening to delete your character if you go inactive while they slowly release content thats already on the disc. That's a new kind of evil!

I really want to like the game, but it feels like if I just sat back, and waited six months to make a character, I'd be treated to the real deal, rather than waiting around for all the content I already paid for to simply become avalible to me.

It's not a bad game at its core, although I have some pretty choice complaints over the visuals, presentation and UI, but this whole locked content thing is horrific.

MegaTen

Banned
Are you saying you can't unlock other areas of the game world through your own progression, but rather have to wait for Sega themselves to unlock it for everyone? If true, I may think twice about picking it up..

Alex

There is a ton of content on the disc that Sega has locked, and is releasing in little chunks as updates.

An entire planet, tons of missions, tons of equipment, vehicles, modes, clothes, a stifling of the level cap, expert classes, new techs and photon arts, half the goddamn weapon types, additions and small changes that greatly affect the game balance.

So, it's like this; they took away the free month, they also erase inactive characters. So youre pretty much ****ed into paying a fee and waiting around for months on end to simply play the game youve already paid for.

They're not going to patch anything except for small files. With 8 megs on the PS2 card, this shit is all on the disc

demi

It's the same way overseas, they just get the content first. Welcome to the world of bad business, you missed the turn to the world of warcraft.

taddpoll

Ya gotta love Next-Gen!!!!!!

Hopefully this kind of stuff comes to bite these companies in the ass. This junk costs too much money for it to be so inconvenient.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Alex said:
There is a ton of content on the disc that Sega has locked, and is releasing in little chunks as updates.

An entire planet, tons of missions, tons of equipment, vehicles, modes, clothes, a stifling of the level cap, expert classes, new techs and photon arts, half the goddamn weapon types, additions and small changes that greatly affect the game balance.

So, it's like this; they took away the free month, they also erase inactive characters. So youre pretty much ****ed into paying a fee and waiting around for months on end to simply play the game youve already paid for.

They're not going to patch anything except for small files. With 8 megs on the PS2 card, this shit is all on the disc

That is pretty sad, let alone the fact that a game of this style should not have a monthly fee in the first place. Thanks for the post

demi

It's not a next-gen thing at all, it was originally planned for PC and PS2, X360 was slipped in at the last minute I thought.

Alex

The single player is okay, it's most inspired as an entity than what existed in PSO, but it's still of very mediocre quality. The localization is horrendous to boot.

Most people are just taking it as the glorified tutorial that it is.

Alex

Contrary to any opinions of the game; WoW is probably the best example on how TO run an online game, especially considering the size of half of their content patches would qualify as expansions for other games. Blizzard really isn't an evil company. :p

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
bjork said:
So... are you asking for a gameshark code to unlock it all?

ZOMG GameShark really is useful after all.

seriously, if more games did this and have stuff on the disc that doesn't allow you to access without paying first...GameShark may become necessary.

Alex

bjork said:
So... are you asking for a gameshark code to unlock it all?

Haha, the content thats locked is just the online stuff, and security is something they seem to have done fairly well this time. :p

Safe Bet

Banned
Don't play the game until they unlock more content?

I don't see any other way around it.

Subscription fees should go toward creating new content, not unlocking "existing" content that was paid for when you bought the game.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Just Based of the demo, it was OK. Interesting, but i didnt get that feeling that i did from PSO. I dont know what it was. It just wasnt there.

The best way i can put it is that they over-complicated things that needed to be simple, and didnt built enough on the parts that needed to be built on.

Overall, a big let-down for me. :( A Sonic Team letdown (Sonic Team did do this one, right?)

Alex

Mike G.E.D. said:
ETA on unlockification?

edit: and whats the timeframe for inactive character deletion?

They kinda release them without much of a schedule as far as what I've read. I believe that it was noted that the first Japanese content update was about 2 or 3 months post release?

They seem to release bursts of content every so often.

And the timeframe was in one of the PSU threads, I just read of the gist of it. =/

demi

White Man said:
Yeah, from what I've played, this is a huge disappointment. I guess it's deserving of the descriptor "Sega quality."

And you kept telling me to buy it! See what you could have made me do?

So far the only glaring oversight I've noticed is the complete lack of guild missions. I mean WTF?! :lol

Better yet, folks on-line are running to the general melee area and there's this massive line of player characters outside the entrance like, "HAY GUYS! IS THIS THE LINE TO PRE-ORDER A P$3?!"

Still from the perspective of a complete casual on-line gamer (Not humping my console to death, not grinding 18 hours of the day), it's PSO on my PS2.

I imagine it would be even more bothersome to be playing it on something more than the PS2 and experiencing a super port-up of what's there. That's a swift kick to the balls for sure. :lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just wait till the game bombs to $5 for the Circuit City sale. You'll get the game for cheap with the entire game unlocked

Alex

I saw this floating around:

"Phantasy Star Universe: Illuminas no Yabou" it pops up on Gamefaqs and Gamespot, as well as a few other JP lists.

Apparently an expansion, I read. But that's all just guesswork, seems pretty early anyway.

perhaps a one meg file that unlocks all the content on your PSU disc!

yeah ...

The story mode is pretty weak, but it IS something...and is fairly entertaining. Plus, yes, a tutorial! The online mode is fine...but it's all too everywhere, and yet at the same time...limited. Hard to explain at the moment. It also is disapponiting to see...well...this hasn't been improved really. A few things here and there, but there's a lot of backspaces it does as well. Overall so far (ch 6, lvl 8 on XboxLive), this is alright/decent, but Sega disappoints yet again. But I'm still giving it more time.

And yea - the localization is pretty weak.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
It's your own fault IMO.

You keep paying and taking it up the ass from Sega so they'll continue to pull shit like this.

Me? I choose not to support this BS by not buying the game at all.

scarybore

Since EU players will play on the same servers as the US peeps we should at least have less of a wait for the first unlocked content when the game is finally released here but Sega really are handling this the wrong way and it sucks for players who have the game now. I think it is just to give unknowing players the idea that Sega are actually making new content justifying that online fee. Just typical Sonic Team stupidity if you ask me.

After my first six months are up, if I am still imterested in the game I think I will play the game bi monthly if they are still unlocking content at that stage.

Alex

Cerrius said:
It's your own fault IMO.

You keep paying and taking it up the ass from Sega so they'll continue to pull shit like this.

Me? I choose not to support this BS by not buying the game at all.

But I loved classic PSO. :( I paid for PSO, PSO; Episode 1 + 2 and PSO: BB, they were all worth the cash.

I want a Wii version with all the content unlocked and more!

Because I'm a sheep, and I'd buy it again. :( Online RPGs save money though!

mikeGFG

Banned
hmm. I might have to backpedal on my purchase. Besides, after getting the game for cheap today, I could actually make a profit returning it to WalMart.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Buy Marvel and jump on this bandwagon in a few months when this shit is released proper.

ElyrionX

Ummm, it's SEGA. Shit like this coming from them should be expected by now. That company is managed by monkeys and retards.

demi

Brandon F said:
Buy Marvel and jump on this bandwagon in a few months when this shit is released proper.

I didn't want to buy it period because of the many games coming out within the next few months.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Well, I asked your opinion on something I saw in another thread, and I got it. =D Thanks, I'll stick to lvling up my rogue/playing the AH for money in WoW for my fix. FFXII this week anyways.

CoolTrick

Banned
The reason things are crapy is because companies who make MMORPGs have been sending out the game when it wasn't fully complete so they can make money quicker.

All that extra stuff you see locked probably isn't even actually in the game yet. Everquest did this all the time.

Alex

PSU isn't an MMO, it shouldn't even require a fee and didn't need to be rushed, and I expect better from one of the non-shady online game publishers.

The stuff is genuinely locked, they do not have the means to patch anything siginifigant in when the lead platform is the PS2. Plus a bunch of the shit that is locked online is avalible in Story Mode. :p

And from what I am reading (if I am reading it right), some bits of Story Mode are also locked out .. >_>

Alex

ElyrionX said:
Ummm, it's SEGA. Shit like this coming from them should be expected by now. That company is managed by monkeys and retards.

Oh, it's probably a good business decision. The problem is it's the most greedy, asshole thing a game publisher has ever done.

White Man

How the hell do I cancel my account?

I'm playing on 360 and I see no way to cancel my account. There's no option in account management or anything.

White Man said:
How the hell do I cancel my account?

I'm playing on 360 and I see no way to cancel my account. There's no option in account management or anything.

Finally a good financial move by sega!

White Man

Kabuki Waq said:
Finally a good financial move by sega!

The description of the subscription in marketplace says to go to www.xbox.com/live/accounts for info on canceling. So I went there, and it's actually an Xbox (Xbox 1, not 360) page about ending your XBL account.

Thanks Sega, you really can't do anything right! I swear to god, if I have to make a phone call to cancel this account, I will never purchase another Sega product again, which won't be difficult given their current quality level.

White Man said:
The description of the subscription in marketplace says to go to www.xbox.com/live/accounts for info on canceling. So I went there, and it's actually an Xbox (Xbox 1, not 360) page about ending your XBL account.

Thanks Sega, you really can't do anything right! I swear to god, if I have to make a phone call to cancel this account, I will never purchase another Sega product again, which won't be difficult given their current quality level.

:lol :lol :lol

but VF5?

White Man said:

Enjoy missing out on VF5 then.

So all the stuff is locked, I thought it would open when your character reaches a certain level? Its all in the single player is it not, that makes no sense. What about extra mode, is that totally unlocked?

That is just plain stupid.

mollipen

Wait wait wait... they have Motaab (or whatever it's called) completely locked off online in the retail version?

Wow, that's... wow. Yet another reason for me to think that PSU is just a big joke.

White Man

DJ Brannon said:
Doesn't it just run out on its own?

Nope, it's automatically a recurring payment.

There are a bunch of topics asking the very same question at Xbox.com's forums. It seems you do have to make a phone call. Way lame. Sega ****ing sucks.

Top Bottom