• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP Prey, and looking ahead to Arkane's version

Spoo

A week or two ago, I dug up my old tin for the Collector's Edition I bought of Prey back when it released. To my amazement, the code printed on the back of the manual activated a copy on Steam (this was a nice surprise, since I couldn't find the disc anywhere). Having fond memories of the game, I loaded it up and started a new game.

If you've never heard of or played Prey, take a couple minutes to watch a trailer for the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ishWEzGFr7k

Looks kinda neat, huh? The game is actually pretty good. I'll break down a few reasons why I think so:

1) The level design is amazing. It has a slower start, and some of the puzzles decay into simple formats, but there's a surprising amount of depth to their design. It's kind of a mix between 90s FPS fundamentals, and more modern set-peice fluff. It's always in the service of a simple story set in an awesome environment -- a dyson sphere filled with aliens trying to murder you and your friends and family. That last bit is, apparantly, the connective tissue between this Prey, and Arkane's upcoming Prey reboot.

2) The guns are really memorable. They're all alien; which would be confusing if they didn't all have a design which reflected their purpose. These weapons almost all have alternate fire modes, and some of them work in fairly interesting ways: for example, there's a weapon that harnesses alien energy; you get ammo for it by sucking different types of ammo from various energy stations. The different types result in a completely different kind of gun. The lighting leads to a sort of close-range sniper effect, whereas the fire one results in a pulse rifle effect ala Quake 3.

3) The game runs on a modified Id Tech 4 engine (Doom 3 engine), and isn't completely dark. It's a better use of technology overall. But what's more is, if memory serves, this was the first game to have "Portals" in it -- even before Portal had Portals. Or something. They're used here in less mechanically strict ways; some rooms you don't even know there are portals in until you start noticing strange things, like seeing yourself at the end of a hallway. There's also a really cool use of changing gravity prevalent throughout most of the game. Because of all these different elements, a simple room might turn out to be an interesting environmental puzzle.

4) It's not totally serious. Being a game idea initially conceptualized by Duke Nukem creators 3D Realms, it seems like some of their humor rubbed off on Human Head. There's a lot of darker humor here, some snarkiness, and some stuff that, like 3DR games tend to have, doesn't land. If you liked the interactive elements of some of 3DR games, Prey has less than that, but still more than usual. The first area of the game, for example, has some arcade machines you can play on -- one of them being a Rune-skinned Pac-Man.

5) It has excellent pacing. The game gets faster and faster until it ends, and it ends in a more-or-less satisfying way. Going through it again, I was actually surprised by how much stuff the game was throwing in my face by the end -- it becomes confident in the player to create some interesting challenges. I died a lot, actually. Which is fine in this game because...

6) You can't die. Or, well, you can, but there's a trick to death in that you can come back to where you were without reloading a save. The theory was that this method was faster than a load (not true anymore, probably), and kept you playing while introducing a small mechanic to it to keep death a bit more interesting. Honestly, I'm not sure if I "like" this about the game, or if it's just a thing that I think was a cool thing to try. YMMV.

By the time I finished the game I sat back and thought two things. The first is, Prey here actually had a lot of innovations. Games came along that did some of this stuff better, and some of the dialogue is cringy, but it had actual *ideas* that were risky and unique and actually worked pretty well. The second is, I wonder if Arkane's Prey is actually up to the task of following up this game? I've seen some trailers, and I think they are on track to follow the spirit of the game -- with a darker tone -- but are they going to lose out on some of what made this game a blast to play?

For anyone who hasn't played this (and wants to), there's really not a lot of good news for you. You can dig up a Steam key on some key reseller websites, or buy a used copy on a previous generation console. Not great options -- a Prey remaster feels unlikely, but perhaps a re-release on Steam could be in the cards?

Anyway, for those of you who have played Prey, what'd you think, and do you think Arkane's vision for their "version" of Prey looks as interesting?

Z_Y

Stared it twice on 360. First save got accidentally wiped and second save was a victim of a RROD (this was before the days of cloud saves). Still have my copy though. Might be time to give it another go. I remember enjoying it a lot.

Spoo

Stared it twice on 360. First save got accidentally wiped and second save was a victim of a RROD (this was before the days of cloud saves). Still have my copy though. Might be time to give it another go. I remember enjoying it a lot.

I'd recommend it. The latter half of the game really goes crazy.

It even has something for No Man's Sky players -- you can land on asteroids!

DemWalls

Man, it's already been 5 years since I played this game (on PC, found it for <5 bucks at a bargain bin, feel very lucky). The memories are sparse, but it certainly left a very good impression. The fact that I got to finish it in a few days has to mean something, since I usually can hardly stand first person shooters :p
Shout-out to the soundtrack by Jeremy Soule, I like it quite a bit.

On a side note, I'm not really one who takes matters of diversity in gaming at heart, but having a Native American as protagonist felt really fresh, even if (I suppose) the references to their culture were superficial at best. Was really looking forward to seeing the continuation of Tommy's story in the sequel, too bad Bethesda f*cked it up big time. I'm not giving them any money for the reboot, as much as I respect Arkane's work.

Loved this game, it is one of my favorite games from last gen. The mechanics were fun and unique at the time. Hell, some of the mechanics are still unique. I have to say, one of my favorite memories from the game is
Walking into a portal that takes you onto a small planet that was housed in a display case. Then watching enemies, who looked like giants because you were shrunk walk into the room housing this tiny planet thing.

I am very upset about Arkanes Prey game , but I will give it a try. I am honestly very mixed on the subject. I want them to fail because I think it is shit what happened to Human Head and their game, but on the other hand I want it to be a good fun unique new game.

I would do the whole "vote, with your wallet" thing, but i honestly don't want to miss a potentially good game out of spite.

nOoblet16

I only ever played this briefly on Xbox 360 at a friend's place then never got around to it when I bought the console and also built a new PC.

If only there was a way to buy this game on PC today, it's not on GOG or steam.

Spoo

Shout-out to the soundtrack by Jeremy Soule, I like it quite a bit.

On a side note, I'm not really one who takes matters of diversity in gaming at heart, but having a Native American as protagonist felt really fresh, even if (I suppose) the references to their culture were superficial at best. Was really looking forward to seeing the continuation of Tommy's story in the sequel, too bad Bethesda f*cked it up big time. I'm not giving them any money for the reboot, as much as I respect Arkane's work.

Fuck, these are two really good points I left out of the OP :\ Thanks for bringing them up; the soundtrack is excellent, and while I agree the representation of Tommy et. al. wasn't as good as it could have been, it tried.

Also, for people looking for the game on PC, your best bet is to go on amazon and pay ~7 USD for a PC key. There may be other key sites out there that have better deals, but Amazon is nice and safe, and it's *easily* worth that price. (The PC codes *should* unlock on Steam)

dmshaposv

Although I remember beating the game in 2 days, it had a unique quality about it that most FPS games could really do with.

Native American protag
Interesting sci fi/native indian mixed art direction (except the characters which looked Awful)
A goofy story
Original death mechanic even if it isnt completely successful
Very cool gravity switching gameplay
Levels that generate in front of your eyes

A lot of superior games used some of the ideas explored in Prey (Portal especially) and did them better. But it really was quite a unique game for all its flaws. Especially around 2006 before the abundance of grey/brown military shooters.

The new Prey is such a let down. A focus tested Dead Space rip off with dishonoured gimmicks. Ugh.

Top Bottom