• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Star Citizen Plans to do Much of What No Man's Sky Doesn't

Roberts is at Gamescom showing off Update 3.0, the next expansion to Star Citizen, a massive MMO that hopes to combine first-person shooting, dog fighting, piracy, economic trading, and now, interstellar travel. Like Elite: Dangerous and the more recent No Man's Sky, Star Citizen is trying to build a seamless world on myriad planets and the space between them. If all goes according to plan, the bug he just saw will be squashed before his team livestreams the update on August 19--tomorrow night.

"We want to create texture--an emotional feeling for each location," Roberts says. "We need a history, a sense of place, for each of these worlds. Details are important."

This planet is one of thousands that Cloud Imperium is creating. While No Man's Sky uses its tech to generate new planets as you travel, Star Citizen uses procedural generation to build the skeleton of specific planets before artists fill in the vital details. There are far fewer planets in Star Citizen--the studio is aiming for about 100 solar systems, each containing an average of five planets with their own moons as well--but Roberts and his team are working to ensure that each planet is worth exploring and returning to.

Despite No Man's Sky's technical achievements and gargantuan size (around 18 quintillion planets), detractors point to its lack of memorable moments as its chief downfall. With Star Citizen, Roberts says there will be side quests, distinct landmarks, new characters, and more to find on each rock's surface. Cloud Imperium is also aiming for "Crysis-like visual fidelity" on each one.

"No Man's Sky does a really cool thing with its planet-building tech, and it uses it well," Roberts says. "But the coolest thing it does, to me, is that seamless transition between the planet and space. We're aiming for that seamlessness, too. Once you exit the atmosphere, we want you already thinking about where you'll head next."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-star-citizen-plans-to-do-much-of-what-no-mans-/1100-6442819/

Gamescom Alpha 3.0 video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l-epO6oUHE

Tagyhag

While I would LOVE for Star Citizen to be all its hyped up to be, I hope after NMS people don't fall for the exact same cycle and end up being disappointed again.

I feel it's a bit ironic media and some gamers are basically like "NMS might have failed to do this, but this time it's different!"

Mindlog

That's neat, but who cares about planets?
How does Star Citizen compare to FTL?
How does Star Citizen compare to Shenmue 3?

Instro

While I would LOVE for Star Citizen to be all its hyped up to be, I hope after NMS people don't fall for the exact same cycle and end up being disappointed again.

I feel it's a bit ironic media and some gamers are basically like "NMS might have failed to do this, but this time it's different!"

The main difference is that Star Citizen has the manpower and budget to actually make it happen(maybe).

The video looks incredible but I won't believe them until it's released and people verify this is real. The original NMS video looks incredible as well.

Trace

Banned
The video looks incredible but I won't believe them until it's released and people verify this is real. The original NMS video looks incredible as well.

Everything in that video should be in the game for players by the end of the year. Realistically I expect them to delay it to early 2017, but it won't be too long.

It's a prescripted demo. They did the exact same thing when they announced the 2.0 alpha, and what the released was nowhere close to what they had promised.

It's scripted as in "we're playing this mission and it's the only thing that will pop up". But everything aside from that was played live.

I still don't get what this game is. Tried to go see the pre-ordern and it was a pre-order of a single player campaign plus a bunch of REALLY FUCKING EXPENSIVE ships and content. Like ridiculously expensive, close to a grand for an in-game starship what the fuck.

selo

Im kind of out of the loop on this game... Can you play some sort of alpha/beta right now? Do they have a release date?

Footage looks really good, has anyone played it and confirmed if fun?

Thanks

Tagyhag

The main difference is that Star Citizen has the manpower and budget to actually make it happen(maybe).

Yeah definitely, but they're still promising the world.

If Star Citizen ends up meeting 100% of everything they've promised, it'll be the best space sim of all time and one of the best games of all time.

That's a tall order, especially for a game whose budget basically comes from people buying more ships.

I would just rather want people to keep their hype in check.

Trace

Banned
I still don't get what this game is. Tried to go see the pre-ordern and it was a pre-order of a single player campaign plus a bunch of REALLY FUCKING EXPENSIVE ships and content. Like ridiculously expensive, close to a grand for an in-game starship what the fuck.

You want either this or this. Those both get you a starter ship, along with the singleplayer portion Squadron 42 and the MMO Star Citizen when they release. Every other ship that's being sold will be attainable in-game.

injurai

Banned
Im kind of out of the loop on this game... Can you play some sort of alpha/beta right now? Do they have a release date?

Footage looks really good, has anyone played it and confirmed if fun?

Thanks

No release date, but as a backer you get access to test alpha content. You can engage in dog fights and such as of now. You'll only be able to use ships though that you bought through backing. Of course all ships can be earned in game upon final release.

gatti-man

Star citizen has been around log before nms. And always had more potential due to its sheer scale, funding, and man at the helm.

It's scripted as in "we're playing this mission and it's the only thing that will pop up". But everything aside from that was played live.

Nope, scripted as in more smoke-and-mirrors, just like the 2.0 demo. For example, the pirates during the space flight section were player controlled and not AI-controlled (source is the same guy that leaked the gamescom presentation).

Star Citizen always sounded overly ambitious to me, while they might have the budget to better realize their dream compared to NMS, there's still the matter of the truly immense amount of skill it's gonna take to do everything they say they're gonna do and fit it together as one seamless/cohesive FUN experience.

The presentation was really fun to watch, I'm really looking forward to Star Citizen.

It's like almost everything you could want in a space game!

Well it would be hard to do that since the devs are only promising what is in the stretch goals.

The biggest difference of course is that the game is getting built as it goes along, so there is a lot more transparency to keep hype in check.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

While I agree with you in principle, a lot of us are already playing Star Citizen and continue to do so with each iteration that is released so the situation isn't completely comparable.

Trace

Banned
Nope, scripted as in more smoke-and-mirrors, just like the 2.0 demo. For example, the pirates during the space flight section were player controlled and not AI-controlled (source is the same guy that leaked the gamescom presentation).

They already said the AI isn't fully done for now. If that's the only thing they "faked" in that demo I couldn't really give a shit.

Are you one of those "Star Citizen is a scam" people?

Are there going to be decent sized cities in star citizen? I'm not talking 7-8 building procedurally generated towns. More like actual cities, maybe on a smaller scale.

You want either this or this. Those both get you a starter ship, along with the singleplayer portion Squadron 42 and the MMO Star Citizen when they release. Every other ship that's being sold will be attainable in-game.

Hopefully it doesn't take you a century in-game to be able to upgrade ships because if stuff is that expensive for digital content I'm not too hopeful.

I'll wait until it's getting closer to release though, thanks for the links.

injurai

Banned
Star citizen has been around log before nms. And always had more potential due to its sheer scale, funding, and man at the helm.

It even had a lineup of investors that would have backed the game to the tune of up to 25 Million dollars had community backers not come through. It has always been a serious project helmed by industry veterans.

Coupled with their great snatching of a large team of CryEngine devs. They have the talent and resources to do something that no developer has done before. Even listening to their podcasts it's clear just how competent their technical team is.

Dougald

Is Star Citizen ever actually coming out? The game seems like a textbook example of scope creep for any software development class to use

Elite: Dangerous may have been lampooned as doing far less, but they were both kickstarted at the same time and Elite has been out a couple of years now, even having its first expansion, whereas Star Citizen seems to be trying to do way too much

They are, for generating planets I think, then they go in and handcraft bases and stuff on them. Dictator can correct me if I'm wrong.

Here was a nice convo from another thread about it:
So it's procedurally generated on the server and then the devs place settlements on it ?

If that's the case then it is indeed amazing because the game will have hundreds of planets. I like how the result of mixing procedural generation with manual work is something far far more dense and full of life than fully procedural 17 bazillion planets infinite universe.

Not on the server. This isn't being built real time from a base algorithm. Instead they use procedural techniques to develop a planet. They can then customize the result and that gets saved into some chunk of data, probably as as a mathematical function describing the planet

So while that data isn't necessarily stored in the same way as an asset would be, the end result is that the world is already built, so you can mix and match assets with procedural data. The NMS approach is to build everything in your view as you see it.

So imagine artists painting a planet with trees, rivers, etc. based upon pürocedural techniques. Landing zones on plnaets are then very customised whilst being made of prefabs that are modular based upon different style guides: industrial, high tech, low-tech, etc. as well as hero key art (levski has very specific statues and shops for example).

Molemitts

I haven't really been following Star Citizen much, but the recent demonstration really impressed me and I was kinda skeptical of NMS.

I think I'll hold out until a finished release comes out in about 20 years or so, though.

Mifec

Here was a nice convo from another thread about it:

So imagine artists painting a planet with trees, rivers, etc. based upon pürocedural techniques. Landing zones are made of prefabs that are modular based upon different style guides: industrial, high tech, low-tech, etc.

Nice, thanks for clarifying it.

CHC

Yeah definitely, but they're still promising the world.

If Star Citizen ends up meeting 100% of everything they've promised, it'll be the best space sim of all time and one of the best games of all time.

That's a tall order, especially for a game whose budget basically comes from people buying more ships.

I would just rather want people to keep their hype in check.

But part of the big difference is that, to some degree, they are shielding themselves from criticism by releasing it in such an incremental way. Star Citizen will, for much of the near future, be a transparently unfinished product. Which is fine - people can play it or not play it, that's up to them. Either way, it's smart (and realistic) of them to not reach some arbirtary point in development where they physically box up the game and go "OK this it guys - Star Citizen is here!"

It's more of an ongoing project that people can hop in or out of at their leisure. Obviously they aim to have a finished game at some point, but like I said, there is a certain degree of criticism they become immune to just by virtue of not calling it a finished game.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
The two games are going for completely different experiences. The whole point of NMS is to explore a near infinite galaxy without handcrafted worlds. This feels like they're just using the negative backlash at MNS to prop up their own game.

How a game with a $100 million budget and a team of 16,000 people plan to do what a game with a $10 budget and a team of 10 people doesn't, amirite?

Top Bottom