• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tesla Model S Now the Quickest Production Car in the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnax

https://www.tesla.com/blog/new-tesla-model-s-now-quickest-production-car-world
j6x10fh.jpg

The Model S P100D with Ludicrous mode is the third fastest accelerating production car ever produced, with a 0-60 mph time of 2.5* seconds.

However, both the LaFerrari and the Porsche 918 Spyder were limited run, million dollar vehicles and cannot be bought new. While those cars are small two seaters with very little luggage space, the pure electric, all-wheel drive Model S P100D has four doors, seats up to 5 adults plus 2 children and has exceptional cargo capacity.

The 100 kWh battery also increases range substantially to an estimated 315 miles on the EPA cycle and 613 km on the EU cycle, making it the first to go beyond 300 miles and the longest range production electric vehicle by far.

While the P100D Ludicrous is obviously an expensive vehicle, we want to emphasize that every sale helps pay for the smaller and much more affordable Tesla Model 3 that is in development. Without customers willing to buy the expensive Model S and X, we would be unable to fund the smaller, more affordable Model 3 development.
Wow

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
That 315 mile EPA cycle has me salivating more than its speed capabilities.
I welcome the age of longer mileage EVs!

Hesemonni

Banned
While the P100D Ludicrous is obviously an expensive vehicle, we want to emphasize that every sale helps pay for the smaller and much more affordable Tesla Model 3 that is in development. Without customers willing to buy the expensive Model S and X, we would be unable to fund the smaller, more affordable Model 3 development.
Strikes me a bit odd to plead like this selling an other product.

Unfortunately the Model S gets smoked on longer runs because the battery gets too hot and the car throttles back on acceleration.

Getting launched is pretty fun though.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Strikes me a bit odd to plead like this selling an other product.

It's obvious, but it's just them saying that the sale is also an investment in the company, and in the future of electric cars. A future that I'd imagine most Tesla owners are interested in seeing happen.

Minus_Me

As someone whose driven a 918, the acceleration is insane but looses its luster quickly considering you're breaking the law immediately on most roads.

That range though is quite something, really amazing achievement and makes these cars that much more attractive to prospective buyers.

Kudos

Neo C.

Not interested in the ludicrous mode, but 100D is fantastic.

Edit: I've just realized there's only P100D but no 100D. Meh.

Dre3001

The real question is has the interior improved at all?

Outside of the touch screen the model s interiors are seriously lacking when you consider the price tag.

Once Mercedes, BMW, etc all launch their electric models in the next year or so things will get interesting.

Neo C.

Once Mercedes, BMW, etc all launch their electric models in the next year or so things will get interesting.

They can't compete in this price range. Tesla makes tens of thousands each year, while others build like hundreds at best.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I've never been super impressed by Tesla, to be honest, as the initial reliability reports have been utter poopoo. But 2.5 is fast, yeah. A 2016 Corvette can do 0-60 in 2.9 seconds though, and that probably costs a %10 of what that Tesla does. So it's not over-the-top impressive considering the trade-offs.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
But it doesn't have the feel of a real powerful car.

It doesn't.

If you mash it from say...40MPH, any other sports car making 400HP+ will walk away from it.

Tesla's launch really REALLY hard because full torque comes on immediately. But they run out of steam at around 80MPH. So basically, production supercars and virtually most higher-end sports cars will be passing them around thereabouts.

For the everyday Joe, it's a tremendously quick car, but it's hardly the fastest production car. It's just the fastest to 60 thanks to its traction and instant torque advantage. :p

I've never been super impressed by Tesla, to be honest, as the initial reliability reports have been utter poopoo. But 2.5 is fast, yeah. A 2016 Corvette can do 0-60 in 2.9 seconds though, and that probably costs a %10 of what that Tesla does. So it's not over-the-top impressive considering the trade-offs.

$13k for a Corvette?

giga

Please show me where I can buy this corvette.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
1/4 mile ?

Should dip into the mid/high 10s. And trap around 122-125MPH, depending on track conditions and tire condition.

P90Ds with a fresh charge were low 11s and trapped between 117-120MPH. They make that speed mostly from launch. A comparable sports car running low 11s or high 10s will be around 130MPH.

Futureman

Ludicrous speed is such a dumb marketing term. It's like they are trying to be Apple and come up with products terms (retina display) but it's pretty cringey.

I like Tesla though. Go go electric.

ascii42

The Corvette Z06 (which is the one that can do 0-60 in 2.9 seconds), is $80k. Also completely different type of car. The Tesla is a fairly large sedan that seats 5 (or 7, if you get the jumper seats), and the Corvette is a 2 seater. But the Corvette has a big handling advantage due to weighing around 1500 lbs or so less.

Can't wait for those 'whisper quiet' drag races in Fast 8.

They would have to find a way to shift gears in a car that only has one forward gear.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Imo, once every car maker has an electric model out, these numbers will be pretty normal for a BMW M3 class of car.
Its not that its some rocket science to slap thousand of laptop batteries together and get a fast as shit electric car out of it, two Croatian students did this like five years ago.
Most carmaker on the planet have not shown much interest in pure electric vehicles, because of the billions they spend on optimizing their combustion engines.

sikkinixx

Neat car with outstanding performance out and about in the city. Though I find them kinda vanilla, the giant tablet controlling everything is ugly and looks shoehorned in, plus the fit and finish didn't feel like something I would expect from a luxury car price-tier.

That said, I'm stoked to see once other major players have something available to compete with it and eventually all this electric jazz gets down to regular human pricing.

KHarvey16

Ludicrous speed is such a dumb marketing term. It's like they are trying to be Apple and come up with products terms (retina display) but it's pretty cringey.

I like Tesla though. Go go electric.

You realize it's a reference to a joke in a movie, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom