• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me some Wuxia Gaf

Wuxia has always been a genre I've had a passing interest in but never actually indulged in. Partially because i'm not all that interested in classical China but also because I've heard a lot that the genre is largely trash. But I feel I am a bit more open minded in regards to the type of films I watch and want to give it a solid chance. Only Wuxia film i have seen is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Which I did enjoy a lot. So what are some other good ones?

Llyranor

Are you interested in novels as well? The Deer and Cauldron 3-volume books are great and translated in English. It's really a shame that more novels by Jin Yong or Gu Long aren't translated.

bengraven

Iron Monkey is about ten million times better then crouching tiger to me, but then I do love comedy & donnie yen

The scene where the Monkey dresses up as the diplomat is straight up Chinese opera and so damn hilarious.

The "papers blowing away" scene is nearly more beautiful than any scene in CTHD.

massoluk

Banned
Are you interested in novels as well? The Deer and Cauldron 3-volume books are great and translated in English. It's really a shame that more novels by Jin Yong or Gu Long aren't translated.
Yeah, it is such a shame. There was a fan translation of Smiling Proud Wanderer last I checked, not sure how far the translator got to.

There are English fansub of the best version of Legend of the Condor Hero, I think it was 2003?

What a badass op
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=8hL4CJdqRyc

I have thought about asking to make wuxia ot thread, but I don't speak native chinese and I haven't read many of the recent authors' works

PS: The English version of the Deer and the Cauldron left out a lot of details.

If you want funny ones, Stephen Chow has about 5-10. I don't know how good is the Eng subtitle. But the best ones are Flirting Scholar, and Royal Tramp Duology. Also Beggar King.

As far as non comedic ones, I go to the classic Jet Li Bride of White Hair.

You can also do an anthology run on 20-30 movies based entirely on Jin Rong's works.

Jin Rong is the Shakespear of Wuxia novels.

4Tran

Wuxia has always been a genre I've had a passing interest in but never actually indulged in. Partially because i'm not all that interested in classical China but also because I've heard a lot that the genre is largely trash. But I feel I am a bit more open minded in regards to the type of films I watch and want to give it a solid chance. Only Wuxia film i have seen is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Which I did enjoy a lot. So what are some other good ones?
Wuxia films are a bit on the trashy side. But they're also pretty far removed from the core of the wuxia genre which lies in novels. They're largely long form works so films aren't going to do a very good job of capturing their stronger qualities. Sadly, the novels and TV shows that best exemplify the genre are mostly only available in Chinese and other East Asian languages. English translations aren't common and are often only exist as fan works. If you can read Chinese, check out Jin Yong's novels - he's by far the biggest name in the genre.

If you're restricted to films, then I prefer older Hong Kong films over the newer Chinese ones. Check out Once Upon a Time in China 2 with Jet Li and Donnie Yen, or for a more wuxia feel, Brigette Lin's Swordsman II (also featuring Jet Li) and Bride with the White Hair.

Last Hero in China & The New Legend of Shaolin are good too (though that may be closer to classic eighties kung fu films then wuxia). They've got lots of names, just check out the Jet Li bio.

Many, including me consider Deee and Cauldron Jin Rong's best wprk. Although its half historical fiction hald Wuxia. I think Conder Hero is a lot more beginner friendly.

If you like Deer and Cauldron, I think you will like 12 Kingdoms the anime.

Swordsman 1 & 2
Duel to the Death

Wuxia films are actually generally alright (either shaw era or the 90s wirework stuff) if you like HK films. The TV shows are usually low budget trash, yeah.

massoluk

Banned
Swordsman 1 & 2
Duel to the Death

Wuxia films are actually generally alright (either shaw era or the 90s wirework stuff) if you like HK films. The TV shows are usually low budget trash, yeah.

When was the last time you watch wuxia tv shows? Ever since CCTV rendition, the genre really stepped up their games

Llyranor

Yeah, it is such a shame. There was a fan translation of Smiling Proud Wanderer last I checked, not sure how far the translator got to.

There are English fansub of the best Legend of the Condor Hero, I think it was 2003?

What a badass op
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=8hL4CJdqRyc

I have thought about asking to make wuxia ot thread, but I don't speak native chinese and I haven't read many of the recent authors' works

PS: The English version of the Deer and the Cauldron left out a lot of details.

Maybe it's because I grew up with the 1982 version, but the 2003 version didn't do it for me. I found it was weirdly edited in some parts, and I would have been confused if I didn't know the gist of the story beforehand. Great music, though. For the most part, though, I hate how modern Wuxia series have replaced intricate fight choreography with shaky cams and CG overuse.

As for D&C, beggars can't be choosers :(((

Wuxia films are a bit on the trashy side. But they're also pretty far removed from the core of the wuxia genre which lies in novels. They're largely long form works so films aren't going to do a very good job of capturing their stronger qualities. Sadly, the novels and TV shows that best exemplify the genre are mostly only available in Chinese and other East Asian languages. English translations aren't common and are often only exist as fan works. If you can read Chinese, check out Jin Yong's novels - he's by far the biggest name in the genre.
Honestly, as much as I love Wuxia films, I mostly just watch them for the fights for the most part. The pacing of the films are all over the place (trying to squeeze a Jin Yong novel into 1-2 movies is just ridiculous).

It doesn't help that the poetic language of Wuxia is completely lost because of Engrish/Chinglish subs. Imagine watching a Shakespeare play translated by an ESL intern at the bottom of his class.

I don't mind older films. In fact I love 80s and 90s HK films so recommendations from that era are A-ok with me.

So far it's looking like I'm starting with Hero and Iron Monkey first, but I'm open to more recommendations. I want to have a nice list.

If you're restricted to films, then I prefer older Hong Kong films over the newer Chinese ones. Check out Once Upon a Time in China 2 with Jet Li and Donnie Yen, or for a more wuxia feel, Brigette Lin's Swordsman II (also featuring Jet Li) and Bride with the White Hair.

I've seen this film recommended a lot online but is the 1st one not good/required?

When was the last time you watch wuxia tv shows? Ever since CCTV rendition, the genre really stepped up their games

Sword Stained with Royal Blood in 2007 (I think?). There was just a huge amount of bad CGI and slow-mo in the shows after that and it just got too obnoxious for me to watch.

The Legend of the Condor Heroes
The Return of the Condor Heroes
Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils
The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber

forgot to add my favorite: The Smiling, Proud Wanderer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laughing_in_the_Wind) The best series with awesome wuxia choreography(I think they have a sub version of the series on youtube), the one that came out recently sucks major ass!

I love Jin Yong's work.

May I recommend the thoroughly unironically fantastic puppet 'anime' Thunderbolt Fantasy, currently airing and available on crunchyroll.com

7ezUkVsR4onu.gif

forgot to add my favorite: The Smiling, Proud Wanderer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laughing_in_the_Wind) The best series with awesome wuxia choreography(I think they have a sub version of the series on youtube), the one that came out recently sucks major ass!

I love Jin Yong's work.

Thanks. If I may ask, any particular versions you recommend? Looking around there seems to be at least a couple of each of them. For example I can find 1983, 1994 & 2008 versions of Legend of the Condor Heroes?

Thanks. If I may ask, any particular versions you recommend? Looking around there seems to be at least a couple of each of them. For example I can find 1983, 1994 & 2008 versions of Legend of the Condor Heroes?

The Legend of the Condor Heroes: 2003 was my favorite, 2008 was decent.

They're currently working on a 2016/2017 version of The Legend of the Condor Heroes which I'm sort of excited for.

Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils: Best version is 2003.

The Return of the Condor Heroes 1995 (I like this one more) and 2006

The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber: 2009

They're currently working on a 2016/2017 version of The Legend of the Condor Heroes which I'm sort of excited for.

Thanks a lot. Romance of the Condor Heroes is not any good?

massoluk

Banned

Hey, same taste as me. But I give Demi-Gods and Semi-Devil 1997 and 2003 a draw.

Llyranor

I'll be the voice of dissent. Condor Heroes trilogy 80's TVB versions are the best, as is Deer and Cauldron's (Tony Leung as Wei Xiaobao is soooo good). Demi-Gods and Proud Smiling Wanderer 90's TVB versions are the best.

I haven't really found the mainland productions nearly as good, despite their bigger budgets. The old series may be dated in parts, but I consider the new shaky cams/CG extravaganzas a regression.

80s/90s HK production of TVB imo, easily holds its own even today. They're dated, but quality.

Is the 2013 version of Smiling Proud Wanderer any good?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'll be the voice of dissent. Condor Heroes trilogy 80's TVB versions are the best, as is Deer and Cauldron's (Tony Leung as Wei Xiaobao is soooo good). Demi-Gods and Proud Smiling Wanderer 90's TVB versions are the best.

I haven't really found the mainland productions nearly as good, despite their bigger budgets. The old series may be dated in parts, but I consider the new shaky cams/CG extravaganzas a regression.
The current mainland stuff is so... sterile, I dunno.

I love Jin Yong's work.

This.

You cannot go wrong with any of his work. The world building and attention to detail is still unmatched by any other Wuxia author. There are some controversial plots to get through but overall the experience is amazing and can hardly be found anywhere else.

massoluk

Banned

Well, nothing is perfect. But for unknown reason, I'm more willing to overlook Hologram Go than Kungfu Polar Bear

Top Bottom