• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Elite Beat Agents Thread: EBA>Ouendan

Elite Beat Agents comes out this week! You need it so badly!

EBA>Ouendan, and Why:

Elite Beat Agents isn't just Ouendan with the songs and graphics swapped out. They've made a number of improvements. Such as!

*You can SKIP THE INTRO to songs if you want, and jump straight to the gameplay. Perfect for songs that require a lot of tries, such as all of them.
* You can see your high score and rank on the map screen when you click on a level.
*Said map screen is rendered in glorious THREE-DIMENSION GRAPHICS.
*In general, the 'charts' (the actual beats) are just on a significantly higher level of quality than Ouendan's. They clearly spent a lot of time tweaking these.
*The dance moves are crazy, wait until you unlock the final level and the
rump-shaking pelvic-thrusting craziness that is the ELITE BEAT DIVA squadron
*SPOILER:
There are sixteen songs you have to clear to beat the game, but as you rank up (based on your aggregate score) you unlock three bonus songs with stories that are even crazier and more ridiculous than the main-game stuff.
*MAJOR ENDING SPOILER:
The final stage is ****ing EPIC. There's an alien invasion, and EBA gins everyone up to the tune of "Without a Fight." But then, just as you think that Hoobastank is the final song, there's another lengthy, awesome cinematic, and "Jumpin' Jack Flash" kicks in! It's SO AWESOME.

SONG LIST in case you forgot:

This is not in order of how they appear in the game!

1. Walkie Talkie Man - Steriogram
2. ABC - Jackson Five
3. Sk8er Boi - Avril Lavigne
4. I Was Born to Love You - Queen
5. Rock This Town - Stray Cats
6. Highway Star - Deep Purple
7. Y.M.C.A. - Village People
8. September - Earth, Wind and Fire
9. Canned Heat - Jamiroquai
10. Material Girl - Madonna
11. La La - Ashlee Simpson
12. You’re the Inspiration - Chicago
13. Survivor - Destiny’s Child
14. Without a Fight - Hoobastank
15. Believe - Cher
16. Let’s Dance - David Bowie
17. Jumpin Jack Flash - Rolling Stones
18. Makes No Difference - Sum 41
19. The Anthem - Good Charlotte

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
The '>' bugs me... And hurts my brain. Will wait till wednesday or thursday to be sure though.

Tsubaki

If it were truly a sequel with new mechanics, I'd be interested. But this is just an "English expansion pack". Pass.

Opium

Banned
I've been playing it all day yesterday, damn it's so good :D Why must this game be cursed upon me when I have exams!

If you have an hesitations about this game just buy it, it truly deserves the 9.5 ign gave it.

carlos

Sorry Kobun but I can't agree...

ouendan guys appearing outta nowhere > EBA's party bus
ouendan's sucky song list > EBA's sucky song list

I'm sure EBA has more longevity and I still hope everyone buys it, but I'm still not feeling it...yet... i'm not looking forward to repeating most of these song at various difficulty levels

Long live OUENDAN!

typhonsentra said:
I can't tell you how glad I am they finally are allowing you to skip the opening scenes.
Agreed. And some of them are actually REALLY expansive this time around, so more than ever it's a good thing.

Jeff-DSA said:
Agreed.

The difficulty really gets insane though...although that's a good thing in the end I guess.
Yes and no. It gets extremely difficult, but you also get used to it. By the time you're done, you won't want to go back to an easier mode because it's significantly less fun.

Jeff-DSA

Kobun Heat said:
Yes and no. It gets extremely difficult, but you also get used to it. By the time you're done, you won't want to go back to an easier mode because it's significantly less fun.

Yeah, that's true. I'm just saying the first time I tried Canned Heat it was a huge jump in difficulty over the set of songs that came right before it, like Y.M.C.A.

Kobun Heat said:
Agreed. And some of them are actually REALLY expansive this time around, so more than ever it's a good thing.
By the way, is it as hard as Ouendan? The songs didn't grate on you at all? I don't recognize every song listed, but I'd imagine listening to Cher over and over would piss me off.

Sugarman said:
How about multiplayer options?
I haven't played any multiplayer, but they've gone back and really fleshed that out as well.

This is all just from the manual:

- There's a Co-Op mode for up to four players in which everybody plays their own part.
- There's a Versus mode in which players split up into two teams of two. You can launch "attacks" on the other team, which I think (from seeing that one video) makes the beat circles smaller.
- Download Play lets you send a limited number of songs, I think. I don't know the details.
- With Multicart play you can play any song in any difficulty level that the Host has unlocked in single player.
-There's a VS. Ghost mode in which you can play versus your own saved replay data.

typhonsentra said:
By the way, is it as hard as Ouendan? The songs didn't grate on you at all? I don't recognize every song listed, but I'd imagine listening to Cher over and over would piss me off.

I don't know if it's harder than Ouendan, because I've been playing Ouendan for a year and thus I ripped through EBA in a couple days. I can say this: just because you're an Ouendan master doesn't mean you'll never die, or get stuck. You have to learn the songs. It's much easier if you already know the tunes.

Did any songs grate on me? Not really. Are there some I could have lived without, like La La? Sure. I like Believe though :(

ivysaur12

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
I don't know if it's harder than Ouendan, because I've been playing Ouendan for a year and thus I ripped through EBA in a couple days. I can say this: just because you're an Ouendan master doesn't mean you'll never die, or get stuck. You have to learn the songs. It's much easier if you already know the tunes.

Did any songs grate on me? Not really. Are there some I could have lived without, like La La? Sure. I like Believe though :(

Yeah, me too >.<

Is the Believe song sort of like the ghost song in Ouendan?

ivysaur12 said:
Yeah, me too >.<

Is the Believe song sort of like the ghost song in Ouendan?
Nope, although there is an equivalent:
You're The Inspiration.
It's about ten times as sad as the Ouendan one.

7Th

Kobun Heat said:
2. ABC - Jackson Five
15. Believe - Cher

Yuck.

NME

2. ABC - Jackson Five
15. Believe - Cher

How did I let you people talk me into getting this game?

WindyMan

Kohler speaks the truth. EBA is better, faster and stronger than Ouendan. If the Blues Brothers made a videogame, it would be Elite Beat Agents.

Kobun Heat said:
You're The Inspiration.

When I was playing through that song I didn't want to lose because I was afraid that
that little girl wouldn't get to see her daddy again
. So sad. :(

datruth29

2. ABC - Jackson Five
15. Believe - Cher
This list literally makes you go back and forth from "**** YEAH!" to "**** NO!" But for the most part, I could live with most of it. Also, notice the correlation between newer songs being more suckier then older. Interesting....

WindyMan

There are only two or three songs that don't fit in with the game, and just one of them is a dud. That doesn't stop the stories from being hilarious, though.

dyls

Kobun Heat said:
You're The Inspiration.

I remember being super impressed by the 'sad' Ouendan song. Everything about the presentation was suddenly turned on its ear for one brief moment in the middle of the game. The way the Ouendan crew showed up, without any fanfare, quietly and respectfully, rather than their normal boisterous entry, was fantastic. The way the character called out for them softly and pleadingly, the lack of a 'ready-set-go' countdown-- the whole thing was just an entirely different feel.

Also, that was the only song where the player actually, briefly, controlled a melody in the game. The little beeps at the opening, which are not in the original song, were entirely player-dependant and really set up the whole mood.

Kobun, are there any times in EBA when you control an actual melody or harmony, rather than the bass/snare/cymbal(whistle) hits of normal?

dyls said:
Kobun, are there any times in EBA when you control an actual melody or harmony, rather than the bass/snare/cymbal(whistle) hits of normal?
In the equivalent spot, actually.

iNiS loves their surprise ballads. It's getting to be a trademark.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Kobun Heat said:
In the equivalent spot, actually.

iNiS loves their surprise ballads. It's getting to be a trademark.

Considering that all the games iNiS has made have had surprise ballads, that is their trademark.

ivysaur12

Banned
WindyMan said:
Kohler speaks the truth. EBA is better, faster and stronger than Ouendan. If the Blues Brothers made a videogame, it would be Elite Beat Agents.

When I was playing through that song I didn't want to lose because I was afraid that
that little girl wouldn't get to see her daddy again
. So sad. :(

Wow, that IS sad.

IVYSAUR12, SO HYPED RIGHT NOW.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
EBA>Ouendan

I DON'T BELIEVE IT! IT CAN'T BE!!

esb_luke72.jpg

WindyMan

akachan ningen said:
That is a terrible songlist. Reminds me of the one in Taiko Drum Master. I'll stick with Ouendan.

Claiming that the EBA soundtrack is bad when you haven't yet played the game is like saying the GameCube version of Zelda is better without having played the Wii version.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
WindyMan said:
Claiming that the EBA soundtrack is bad when you haven't yet played the game is like saying the GameCube version of Zelda is better without having played the Wii version.

OH SNAP! Two crowds with one stone!

WindyMan said:

Right, because those songs are exclusive to the game? They're not old songs you can find anywhere, right?

WindyMan

akachan ningen said:
Right, because those songs are exclusive to the game? They're not old songs you can find anywhere, right?

They are exclusive renditions sung by sound-alikes, made completely awesome because it's a fvcking Keiichi Yano iNiS-developed DS music game that is the American followup to Ouendan.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Check your local Costco for this game. My friend and I went earlier and he picked it up today.

Kobun Heat said:
1. Walkie Talkie Man - Steriogram(don't know)
2. ABC - Jackson Five(crap)
3. Sk8er Boi - Avril Lavigne(super crap)
4. I Was Born to Love You - Queen(im ok with it)
5. Rock This Town - Stray Cats(don't know)
6. Highway Star - Deep Purple(don't know)
7. Y.M.C.A. - Village People(ew)
8. September - Earth, Wind and Fire(don't know)
9. Canned Heat - Jamiroquai(good artist)
10. Material Girl - Madonna(no)
11. La La - Ashlee Simpson(MY GOD)
12. You’re the Inspiration - Chicago(don't care)
13. Survivor - Destiny’s Child(EW)
14. Without a Fight - Hoobastank(lumines all over again)
15. Believe - Cher(wtf)
16. Let’s Dance - David Bowie(hell yes)
17. Jumpin Jack Flash - Rolling Stones(hell yes)
18. Makes No Difference - Sum 41(no)
19. The Anthem - Good Charlotte(nonono)

that is 80% crap

WindyMan said:
They are exclusive renditions sung by sound-alikes, made completely awesome because it's a fvcking Keiichi Yano iNiS-developed DS music game that is the American followup to Ouendan.

I see, so they are inferior fake versions of songs that were terrible to begin with? The gameplay is moot if the songs are terrible.

Cherubae

I have no problems with the wide variety of music artists that are on the EBA soundtrack. Old fogies such as myself have no issues with the selections available :D My only wish is that the selection by Chicago was replaced with Journey.

And screw any of you who are bitching about the mighty Jackson 5.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Kobun Heat said:
SONG LIST in case you forgot:

This is not in order of how they appear in the game!

2. ABC - Jackson Five