• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence: John Williams' finest work of the 21st century?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Was just listening to this soundtrack for thousandth time.

Honestly, what a beautifully haunting, grossly underrated score (just like the movie itself! :D) Probably his best of the 21st century, despite three Star Wars movies and an Indiana Jones (blergh).

Stored Memories
The Reunion
Where Dreams Are Born
The Mecha World

Williams really knows how to hit you in the feels.

For anyone that might care, a complete, 3-disc score was released last year.

AI_environment-Web.jpg

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The answer is yes. I've been pretty tempted by that expanded score, but haven't pulled the trigger.

Not

Banned
I still like Goblet of Fire the most. I don't know why.

Its score is good too. I think people sleep on Patrick Doyle. The Eragon soundtrack is the only thing about the word "Eragon" that has any good connotations

I still like Goblet of Fire the most. I don't know why.

Its score is good too. I think people sleep on Patrick Doyle. The Eragon soundtrack is the only thing about the word "Eragon" that has any good connotations
I like the Goblet of Fire soundtrack too. It's my favourite out of all the non-Williams HP scores and one of the few good things about the film. I also like Doyle's Thor soundtrack.

Gonna have to YouTube the Eragon soundtrack because I watched it once like 9 years ago and can't remember shit.

jb1234

It's really good, yeah. Better than the movie probably deserved. I loved his riffs on John Adams for the Mecha World cue.

You're not going to reach any kind of consensus when the man has put out such a plethora of great work. That piano-centric composition to end the movie is just god-tier though.

Was just listening to this soundtrack for thousandth time.

Honestly, what a beautifully haunting, grossly underrated score (just like the movie itself! :D) Probably his best of the 21st century, despite three Star Wars movies and an Indiana Jones (blergh).

I had the OST for 15 years and can say confidently, you're right. It's masterful.

It works well in the film and as a standalone experience.

ajf009

Idk if I'd give A.I. The best of the 21st century.. But I'll definitely give 1993 the best year overall behind Schindler's List & Jurassic Park

GCX

Prisoner of Azkaban is an inspired, varied and full of great, memorable tracks that form an incredible score. I also really like its medieval soundscape.

So yeah, that wins. Shame it was Williams' last Potter score so the new themes introduced in the movie were never developed further.

jb1234

I'd also agree that Azkaban is his best score of the 00s. But Memoirs of a Geisha and A.I. tie for second place.

"Where Dreams are Born" is such a good song!! I always put it on the Christmas play list during the holidays in the my household and no one notices that it's not a Christmas song haha

jb1234

Well sonuvabitch, I had no clue he composed for that until now.

It was kinda an unexpected choice for him. By the mid-00s, he was only working for Spielberg and Lucas. I guess he just really wanted to do this film and it certainly inspired him.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
It was kinda an unexpected choice for him. By the mid-00s, he was only working for Spielberg and Lucas. I guess he just really wanted to do this film and it certainly inspired him.

The way it sounded, I also could've sworn it was by Zimmer or James Newton Howard.

Knowing this now, I gotta give this I re-listen - only ever saw the film once.

GCX

Memoirs of a Geisha was a real passion project for Williams, he put a lot of effort and passion into that one.

Spielberg was supposed to direct the movie originally but only ended up producing it so there's that connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom