• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An example of the facial capture being used for Resident Evil 7

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
vNJul4O.gif
heh

Is the final game gonna look a lot better than the beginning hour demo or something? Because it did not impress me graphically. PT looked a lot better in comparison. But it's 60fps and looks good enough so I don't really mind, but it would be cool for RE to go back to being a visual stunner.

That gif looks real nice.

This might sound silly, but I think that the hands are getting into some uncanny valley territory. They look better and more realistic than most 1st person hands in video games, but that also makes the small flaws stick out more. Something about the movement of the ring finger and pinky looks off, particularly around the knuckles.

Verder

after 6's crazy ass mosh pit of gameplay ideas im excited for a slower game.

ACTUALLY i dont know shit about the game. we will see around tgs.

Is the final game gonna look a lot better than the beginning hour demo or something? Because it did not impress me graphically. PT looked a lot better in comparison. But it's 60fps and looks good enough so I don't really mind, but it would be cool for RE to go back to being a visual stunner.

The only thing that looked off to me was the texture resolution.

Having good textures should be essential for a first person game.

KageMaru

This game can't come out soon enough. Hopefully we get an updated demo.

Photogrammetry wasn't used in the first hour demo, was it? Thought I read in the last thread that it wasn't implemented until later.

Crossing Eden

It'll look a lot better, the demo was made super quickly and cheaply in comparison to the full game. Especially in terms of asset quality, game will be a looker on pcs.

Wait a second...i thought it was said that the game would not have these visuals as Capcom mentioned during the presentation? I thought a user here confirmed this?

vlcsnap-2016-09-11-00jmufu.png

vlcsnap-2016-09-11-00a9ure.png

vlcsnap-2016-09-11-00l2ud3.png

I would love more than anything if the ps pro/pc version could activate these visuals but i'm keeping optimistic for now. The latest trailer didn't even have skin translucency and looked almost the same as the released teaser from e3.

It's not even in the same damn league.
vlcsnap-2016-09-11-001zuhx.png

residentevil7teaser_bozsgl.png

Simple WIP showing how they capture facial animations for the game before polish:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7jA7jvxSro

and a test for first person hand animations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5-POmPWQUQ

This game will end up looking insanely gorgeous thanks to Photogrammetry.

Wait a second...i thought it was said that the game would not have these visuals as Capcom mentioned during the presentation? I thought a user here confirmed this?

I would love more than anything if the ps pro/pc version could activate these visuals but i'm keeping optimistic for now. The latest trailer didn't even have skin translucency and looked almost the same as the released teaser from e3.

[/IMG]

Not on VR/consoles at least. Gotta dig up the other thread since it's tied in on the subject matter.

DrNeroCF

This might sound silly, but I think that the hands are getting into some uncanny valley territory. They look better and more realistic than most 1st person hands in video games, but that also makes the small flaws stick out more. Something about the movement of the ring finger and pinky looks off, particularly around the knuckles.

Doesn't help that the hands are mimicking a decidedly 'video game' movement of bobbing up and down while idle, so it comes off as someone pretending to stand still instead of actually standing still.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It'll look a lot better, the demo was made super quickly and cheaply in comparison to the full game. Especially in terms of asset quality, game will be a looker on pcs.

On-top of that, the demo was based off of an older build of RE7 and was developed separately from the main game.

However, from my understanding of it is that the RE Engine handles optimization and prioritizes performance over graphical fidelity. RE7 is aiming to run at 60fps on both Xbox One & PS4, what I think the RE Engine does is optimize the graphics when you reach 'load doors' (you can see these in the demo and lantern gameplay), but it forms the graphical niceness based around what can be done in a loaded area while still hitting 60fps on the platform.

And of course as the demo is its own separate thing done much earlier in development, and Capcom is polishing RE7 right now, while I don't think it'll look as good as some of the stuff the engine is capable of, I do think it'll look better than the demo.

For each area they show, they have much nicer looking versions of the areas they release screens from, so they do have high quality assets of what they use in RE7, and if the RE Engine works as I suspect it does, on a good PC RE7 should look pretty good.

One thing to keep in mind is all footage released so far (and the demo) is from the PS4 version (as the game has VR on PS4, and Sony is obviously helping some with its funding).

RikkTheGaijin

Capcom Artist
Those videos are from the CEDEC presentation, they are not representative of the quality of the game, they are pretty much tech demos.

Crossing Eden

Yea it won't look this good and these are simple tests showing the tech used for the game's engine, the facial capture can be translated in game if the game doesn't compress animation data too much.

On-top of that, the demo was based off of an older build of RE7 and was developed separately from the main game.

However, from my understanding of it is that the RE Engine handles optimization and prioritizes performance over graphical fidelity. RE7 is aiming to run at 60fps on both Xbox One & PS4, what I think the RE Engine does is optimize the graphics when you reach 'load doors' (you can see these in the demo and lantern gameplay), but it forms the graphical niceness based around what can be done in a loaded area while still hitting 60fps on the platform.

And of course as the demo is its own separate thing done much earlier in development, and Capcom is polishing RE7 right now, while I don't think it'll look as good as some of the stuff the engine is capable of, I do think it'll look better than the demo.

For each area they show, they have much nicer looking versions of the areas they release screens from, so they do have high quality assets of what they use in RE7, and if the RE Engine works as I suspect it does, on a good PC RE7 should look pretty good.

One thing to keep in mind is all footage released so far (and the demo) is from the PS4 version (as the game has VR on PS4, and Sony is obviously helping some with its funding).
I just wanna see what the final game looks like on PCs.

Yea it won't look this good and these are simple tests showing the tech used for the game's engine, the facial capture can be translated in game if the game doesn't compress animation data too much.

I just wanna see what the final game looks like on PCs.

567MB of used memory on just the face wow. I can imagine the body can be lower res just like the demo but keep the faces and hands as detailed as this. It's not like this game will have 20 characters on screen. One can dream but that is some amazing detail!

platina

This game can't come out soon enough. Hopefully we get an updated demo.

Photogrammetry wasn't used in the first hour demo, was it? Thought I read in the last thread that it wasn't implemented until later.

Source? That would mean big changes to the visuals like we see in these videos.

Top Bottom