• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is out on Early Access! (September 15th for all)

The long wait is over: Divinity: Original Sin 2 is now out in Steam Early Access for $44.99.

(A note about Early Access: it currently consists of Act 1 playable in singleplayer or 2-4 player co-op and the PvP Arena; most stretch goal content, including the Undead Origin by human stretch goal Chris Avellone, have yet to be introduced. The only official word for full release points to some time in 2017.

Steam-Banner-v1-1.png

ABOUT THE GAME - Developer gameplay livestreams.
Divinity: Original Sin 2 is turn-based "open" RPG developed by Larian Studios and funded through Kickstarter-- and in short, it is the sequel to one of the most impressive RPGs of the last decade. Marrying pen & paper-esque freedom/roleplaying with the videogamey-complexity of computer games, DOS2 aims to achieve even more than its predecessor, particularly when it comes to story.

What makes the Original Sin series so remarkable is its dedication to freeform gameplay. In DOS, every element exists; fire ignites oil, water douses flame; lightning electrifies water, and fire evaporates water. And then it goes a step further--the smoke that fire creates obscures vision; the blood lost from an enemy or ally can, too, be electrified; those explosive barrels strategically placed around a door... can be moved. It doesn't just let you do what the designers have allowed--it actively encourages everyone to think outside the box and embrace the freedoms given to them. However you approach a quest, Divinity will accomodate you.

KEY FEATURES (over DOS1)
  • Original campaign. Personalised questlines--called origins--and user-specified tags work on a per-character basis to provide immense replayability and personalisation to their party, and thus the campaign. Particularly when two characters have conflicting goals.
  • Full 4-player online co-op... with a dash of competitive. Y'know, co-mp. Thanks to the above bullet point, there is now motivation for characters do more than mere jolly cooperation: with mutually-exclusive goals, who will decide their reward matters more and betray a party member?
  • More customisation! Beyond new traits, skills, equipment, and a personal instrument, now players can select their race. So, Dwarves, check. Elves, check. Lizardfolk? Check. And Undead... ehh, they'll get here eventually. Don't even ask about Humans--y'all know the answer.
  • Even deeper combat. With a refined combat engine and handful of new terrain-based effects, it promises to be more interesting than ever. Elevation is only the beginning.
  • PvP Arena. Play online in a no-holds barred deathmatch and master Divinity's combat. Can you become the best? ...Can you take out Swen?
  • Dungeon Master Mode. Harkening back to Neverwinter Nights, not much is known about this DM mode yet, except that it's planned. See this thread for more info.
  • MODDING! (again, but better this time!) Same as above.
  • IT LOOKS BEAUTIFUL Divine in form and in motion.
  • PET PAL RETURNS! With this trait, you can talk to animals. You don't want to miss it.
Awoken.png

EARLY ACCESS FAQ
Q: Why can't I change my character's name/race/gender???
A: You must select a custom origin to adjust these things. All origins lock the name, race, gender, and personality tags to suit the origin.

Q: Why can't I customise my character's skills???
A: That option is currently disabled, but will no doubt return in the future.

Q: Why can't my co-op buddy make their own character?
A: They must join during character creation to have such priviliges. Otherwise, they will assume control of an existing party member.

Q: When is DOS2 leaving Early Access? (i.e. hitting full release)
A: Some time in 2017.

Q: When is DOS2 coming to GOG's Early Access?
A: Later this year. (2016)

Q: Will the price increase later?
A: No.

Q: Is there gamepad support?
A: Not currently.

Q: What about console support?
A: It is PC exclusive until Larian says otherwise.

Q: VOICE ACTING???
A: Nobody has as many friends as the man with many cheeses.

Q: Why did DOS2 release a day early for some people???
A: Larian gave Kickstarter backers access a day early because they're awesome.

Q: Wait, back up... "Personal instrument"?
A: It is your personal bard, of sorts. Important music, like level-up music, battle themes, and more, are influenced by the instrument to becomes a part of your character's identity. Dynamic music is an important part of the game.

Q: Why does the OP talk up Pet Pal?
A: Because like Larian, it is awesome.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FINAL NOTE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Remember: in Early Access, YOU help guide development. Larian is listening. If you have a suggestion or find a bug, mention it to Larian on their official forums, or in the appropriate location in the Steam forums--they're even in the in-game global chat occasionally. If any game can be perfect, it is this one--it's in the name.

P.S., for full disclosure: I participated in the DOS2 Kickstarter.
P.P.S., Divinity forever.

Just finished downloading for me! Sweet menu music!

I'll now spend 3 hours in the character creation menu and report back.
'

edit: New talent- Corpse Eater. Consume the flesh of the dead to gain access to their memories.
You've done it again Larian!

edit2: You get to customize the instrument of your main theme! AHHHHHH

epmode

Larian might be the best RPG developer in the business. Certainly in the top 3. They're doing fascinating things with systems design and pen-and-paper-style freedom.

I tried the Early Access build and noticed that you can only take a single talent during character creation. You have to wonder why they bothered putting all of those other options in when Pet Pal is available!

SO much hype. I completely missed the Kickstarter for this when it came round, but I'm jumping on the EA as soon as it's up!

D:OS was amazing, I've not had an RPG experience like it since my Ultima (4~6) days. D:OS2 should be amazing.... can't effing WAIT!

Saprol

Just finished downloading for me! Sweet menu music!

I'll now spend 3 hours in the character creation menu and report back.
'

edit: New talent- Corpse Eater. Consume the flesh of the dead to gain access to their memories.
You've done it again Larian!
Do I need pet pal too for absorbing animal memories? 🤔

Adnor

Banned
I've just tried a little of the game and it's kinda surprising how many references they make about (story and lore spoilers I guess?? But not really?
Lucian and his death, I mean, he's the most important character in the series lore being The Divine and the protagonist of the original game, but he doesn't even appear in DOS 1!

The game is soooooo pretty.

EDIT: Also, LurkerPrime, you should change your first paragraph, DOS 2 proper doesn't start tomorrow, EA proper starts tomorrow.

Bought 1 during the summer sale but have yet to play it past the character creation screen. It's so overwhelming in a good way.

Oops

Arulan

Divinity: Original Sin is among the best RPGs to be released in the past decade, and this sequel is filled with ambition.

Oh, and you forgot a new feature.

Corpse Eater!

corpseeater5muz5.png

epmode

Do I need pet pal too for absorbing animal memories? ��

Knowing Larian, I wouldn't be surprised if this worked.

edit: Tried the character creator and confirmed that you can choose Pet Pal on the character with Corpse Eater. Not sure if it actually works.
edit edit: I can't figure out how to actually use Corpse Eater so I couldn't get anything out of that first cat.

Werd

Loved the first game, one of my most played on Steam and cleared all the achievements. Still undecided if I'll play through all of early access portion and lose progress for the full game, though assuming impressions are good I'll probably get it and least to play through the origins in advance and mess around a bit.

Everything seems to be looking good so far.

Elves are really... tall? Wowser.
I've just tried a little of the game and it's kinda surprising how many references they make about (story and lore spoilers I guess?? But not really?
Lucian and his death, I mean, he's the most important character in the series lore being The Divine and the protagonist of the original game, but he doesn't even appear in DOS 1!

The game is soooooo pretty.

EDIT: Also, LurkerPrime, you should change your first paragraph, DOS 2 proper doesn't start tomorrow, EA proper starts tomorrow.

Fixed. I caught myself doing that in other spots, but not the most obvious one. D'oh.

And yeah, I'm really shocked by how good it looks. Fidelity is good, but I mean more in terms of the animations; all of the difference stances, aiming spells surging magic around the area. Stuff like that. Lots of little stuff that just makes it shiiinnneeee.

Eusis

I stopped when
those motherfuckers shot the cat. Then I got TPK'd when trying to climb up to the asshole. In hindsight maybe a resurrection scroll would've done the trick, or the cat was just doomed anyway.

epmode

And yeah, I'm really shocked by how good it looks. Fidelity is good, but I mean more in terms of the animations; all of the difference stances, aiming spells surging magic around the area. Stuff like that. Lots of little stuff that just makes it shiiinnneeee.

The fire looks *so much better*.

Divinity: Original Sin is among the best RPGs to be released in the past decade, and this sequel is filled with ambition.

Oh, and you forgot a new feature.

Corpse Eater!

corpseeater5muz5.png

"Rend... Slaughter... Devour your enemies! There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory!"

And it's been like, a decade since this mechanic was done too. It was time.

Just dipped my toes in for an hour or so tonight, going to give it the attention it deserves this weekend. So far it seems at least as good as DOS1, and much better in the writing department.

I stopped when
those motherfuckers shot the cat. Then I got TPK'd when trying to climb up to the asshole. In hindsight maybe a resurrection scroll would've done the trick, or the cat was just doomed anyway.

Just watch them make an achievement for keeping him alive for the entire game...

bati

How's the inventory management in this one? I tried to get into DOS twice and quit both times in act 2. Inventory hassles + micromanaging (equipment and skills) for 4 party members eventually got to me.

So is the only reason to choose custom so that you don't have a backstory with hooks in the gameplay? So that no unexpected characters pop up with prior knowledge of you? Apart from that, they're functionally identical? Origin characters can be (nearly) fully customized, with exception of their race and gender?

Cuz that's nice. At first I was worried that if you wanted to play an Origin character you couldn't change them at all, but this is more accommodating.

Makareu

Will wait for the GoG version since the EA is link with the final product. Can not come soon enough, I need a DOS combat system fix.

Sevenfold

I remember backing it, what I didn't remember was to what extent I backed it. Crikey.

I loved DOS and DOS 2 is easily the most I've spent on a video game!

Freeman76

How's the inventory management in this one? I tried to get into DOS twice and quit both times in act 2. Inventory hassles + micromanaging (equipment and skills) for 4 party members eventually got to me.

Same here it was a major chore in the first one.

JambiBum

The new edition of the physical and magical armor traits is pretty great. It helps solve a lot of the status effect problems of the first game. For those that don't know, there are now stats for both armor types (as well as items) that enemies have to destroy or pierce through in order for a status effect to happen. There are some skills that can ignore armor types but from what I've played so far I haven't found many. Environmental effects can still cause you to become burned (etc.) but you won't take damage from it until your magical armor is broken.

Zexen

Damn, I want to play it badly, but I have yet to finish the first one and there is Legion on the other hand. I'm torn.

Lren

Played about 45 minutes of this yesterday with my brother. It really seems like the more players that get involved, the sillier things might get though I guess that may depend on who is in your game. A snarky dwarf warrior and a grumpy human mage made all of our solutions boil down to "Yeah, I don't like this guy. We should end him." which usually ended up with us being surrounded. Good times, can't wait to play more of it!

Colbert

Banned
Currently playing Divinity:Original Sin on my Xbox One and I know I am late to the party. This game is brilliant and there are so many things you can miss (I messed up my Madora achievement for example). I will play the Divinity:OS 2 not matter what!

Anybody know if they plan on implementing local co-op like they did in the enhanced edition of the first game? Really enjoyed being able to sit on the couch with the wife and play this on the big screen. It's fine now, got 2 digital copies for the meantime from my backer package, but would be nice to see it in the future.

matmanx1

Grabbed my KS Steam key yesterday but I haven't had any time to do anything with it. Good on Larian to get backers keys out a day early. I can't wait to see what they've done this time around. D:OS was brilliant!

Top Bottom