• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 09•23-25•16 - It's high noon somewhere in the world as Storks don't deliver

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

56JHkaw.jpg
8Rr0ERM.jpg
Muz362M.jpg
63zswbD.jpg
4zbW7Rq.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
63% The Magnificent Seven
9wcOG.gif
63% Storks
kavuF.gif
82% Sully
8vteV.gif
78% Bridget Jones's Baby
0hJB1.gif
62% Snowden

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

'Magnificent Seven' Gallops to No. 1 With $35M

Animated family offering 'Storks' places No. 2 with a muted $21.8 million debut; 'Queen of Katwe opens at the specialty box office.

Antoine Fuqua's The Magnificent Seven galloped to a domestic debut of $35 million from 3,674 theaters, placing No. 1 in North America and corralling one of the top openings of all time for a Western, not accounting for inflation.

Magnificent Seven benefited from a star-studded cast led by Denzel Washington, solid reviews and an a A- CinemaScore from audiences. Pre-release tracking had suggested the movie might hit $40 million, but Westerns are a tough sell. The current record-holder for a live-action Western is Cowboys & Aliens ($36.4 million), but if including animated offerings, Rango is the champ with $38.1 million.

From Sony and MGM, Magnificent Seven is a remake of the classic 1960 movie, which in turn was a remake of Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. Village Roadshow and LStar Capital helped co-finance the $90 million film, which had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival earlier this month.

The movie stars Washington opposite Chris Pratt, Ethan Hawke and Vincent D'Onofrio. Byung-hun Lee, Manuel Garcia-Rulfo, Martin Sensmeier, Haley Bennett and Peter Sarsgaard. Magnficent Seven's is a career best for Fuqua; his previous top opening was The Equalizer ($34.1 million), also starring Washington. To date, Washington's biggest opening is 2007's American Gangster ($43.6 million) followed by 2012's Safe House ($40.2 million).

Warner Bros.' animated family film Storks, the weekend's other new nationwide offering, came in No. 2 with a modest $21.8 million from 3,922 theaters. Overseas, Storks opened to $18.3 million from 33 markets — including a tiny China debut of $5.2 million — for a worldwide bow of $40.1 million.

Storks, produced for roughly $70 million by Warner Animation Group, was directed by Nicholas Stoller and Doug Sweetland. The voice cast includes Andy Samberg, Katie Crown, Kelsey Grammer, Keegan-Michael Key, Jordan Peele, Jennifer Aniston, Ty Burrell and Danny Trejo. It also earned an A- CinemaScore.

In recent decades, Warners hasn't been a big player in the animation space, although 2014's The Lego Movie was a box-office sensation.

Warners also claimed the No. 3 spot with Clint Eastwood's box-office hit Sully, the adult drama starring Tom Hanks. The movie declined just 36 percent in its third weekend to $13.8 million for a domestic total through Sunday of $92.4 million. Village Roadshow is a partner on the film.

Universal and Working Title's Bridget Jones's Baby placed No. 4 in its second outing, declining 47 percent to $4.5 million for a disappointing 10-day North American cume of $16.5 million. The romantic comedy is doing far better overseas, where it took in another $21.9 million for a 10-day foreign total of $67.1 million and global take of of $83.6 million. It has earned a dazzling $21.9 million in the U.K.

Open Road Films and Oliver Stone's Edward Snowden biopic Snowden declined 48 percent to $4.1 million for a muted domestic total of $15 million. Blair Witch tumbled 59 percent to $3.9 million in its second outing for a domestic total of $16.1 million for Lionsgate.

New offerings at the specialty box office included Disney's Queen of Katwe, directed by Mira Nair and starring Madina Nalwanga as real-life Ugandan chess player Phiona Mutesi. David Oyelowo and Lupita Nyong'o also star.

Queen of Katwe premiered at TIFF is only opening in 52 theaters this weekend before expanding nationwide Sept. 30. Disney partnered with ESPN on the film, which hopes to be an awards contender. Katwe earned an estimated $305,000 for a location average of $5,865. The inspirational drama skewed female (54 percent), while nearly 30 percent of ticket buyers were over the age of 50.

Amazon Studios and Broad Green's The Dressmaker, an adult drama starring Kate Winslet, Judy Davis and Liam Hemsworth opened in 33 theaters in North America, including several in Canada, grossing $180,522 for a location average of $5,015.

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

kswiston

Worldwide Updates

Secret Life of Pets - $820M
Suicide Squad - $731M
Finding Dory - $969M
Bridget Jones' Baby - $84M

Platy

I will never understand box office stuff ... how does making 1/4 of its budget on a weekend and being in second place is "muted opening" ?

HeySeuss

Ouch at 35 million opening for Magnificent 7. Dunno what they was hoping for but with the marketing it got, I'd say that must be a disappointment.

Saw Storks yesterday and is quite funny, honestly one of the most enjoyable films I've seen in the last two months, IGN review was way off with this one.

kswiston

Western is still dead in America even with Denzel. Kinda worried for The Dark Tower now.

The Revenant just made $180M domestic this year.

People like to proclaim westerns dead while ignoring every film in the genre that does well for various reasons.

kurahador

People like to proclaim westerns dead while ignoring every film in the genre that does well for various reasons.

Didn't watch it yet, but I didn't know The Revenant is a western based on the posters.
Huh...

I'm a little surprised that Storks wasn't number 1, but Magnificent Seven had a very bankable cast.

Then again, I'm not sure kids movies do that well outside of the late spring-summer release schedule.

kswiston

I'm a little surprised that Storks wasn't number 1, but Magnificent Seven had a very bankable cast.

Then again, I'm not sure kids movies do that well outside of the late spring-summer release schedule.

Sony has had a decent amount of luck in September with their Hotel Transylvania and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs animated films during the past few years. No doubt that is why WB scheduled Storks for the same September slot, but they failed to capture the same size audience (those 4 opened to $30-48M)

Less than $22M is pretty mediocre for a film opening in over 3900 venues, even in September. Storks was the second widest September release of all time, but didn't even open in the September Top 30.

That shit is cheating, Revenant was basura anyway

My favorite recent western is 3:10 to Yuma, now that shit was good

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Finding Dory - $969M

Civil War remains 2016's #1 film. Chris Evans deserves an Oscar for his stunning work as Cap.

Remember when everyone was tripping over themselves claiming Dory was going to beat Captain America?

IkLRftY.gif

kswiston

I think most of the claims were for it beating Civil War domestically, which it did by $75M

Finding Dory definitely did less than expected overseas though. Germany is going to make or break its chances at $1B, when that seemed to be a lock at release. Zootopia keeps the 2016 worldwide animation crown unless Moana or Sing blow up.

wilco

Neo Member
Are there more international markets left for Finding Dory? Seems weird it didn't crack the 1 billion club.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
That new Storks commercial ad running got a huge fucking laugh out of me at the:

"Wolfpack form a Wolfplane"
The way it's said and animation is fucking hilarious to me

I will never understand box office stuff ... how does making 1/4 of its budget on a weekend and being in second place is "muted opening" ?

Reported budgets don't include marketing costs, and studios don't get all the money from a sold ticket. Movies generally drop pretty massively after their opening weekend. If it drops 50% next weekend, it's up to about half its reported budget, again that doesn't include marketing. Then the next week it drops more...

So, it's relying on overseas to make a profit.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
This narrative that Westerns are some hard sell
NxA33G8.gif

I saw Magnificent Seven yesterday and it was a 6/10 at best, the reviews were spot on. Cowboys Vs. Aliens was utter trash. Django did really well at the box office during it's run and that movie has a "R" rating. The difference? Django had the quality and critical acclaim (and Leo).

If you make a great movie regardless of genre, people will go see it.

Storks was surprisingly entertaining IMO. Too bad it didn't do better during its OW. Between this and Popstar Andy Samberg couldn't catch much of a break this summer I guess.

$35 million seems like a pretty underwhelming number. It's still incredibly surprising to me how low the OW records for Sept and Oct are. The only other month that doesn't have a $100 million opener is Jan but at least that one is American Sniper with $89 million. Wonder what it is about Sept/Oct that makes them such box office wastelands.

blakep267

I don't know if ill see it in theaters, but the Storks commercial actually was pretty funny. Something that the other animated films haven't done for me this year

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Bridget Jones’s Baby delivered an estimated $21.9m second weekend overseas from its 47 territories for $67.1m to date.

The Working Title production, presented by Universal, Miramax and Studiocanal, opened in eight new territories with Italy providing the best debut at $1.7m, while the UK provided a terrific $8.4m second weekend for $27.5m after only ten days in play.

Australia added $2.1m for an 11-day tally of $7.7m and the threequel retained the top spot in the Netherlands with $1.2m and a local tally of $3.7m. It opens in Brazil, South Korea and Malaysia next weekend.

Bridget Jones doing fine business in the UK.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/bri...e?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS&contentID=40562

Ridley327

$35 million seems like a pretty underwhelming number. It's still incredibly surprising to me how low the OW records for Sept and Oct are. The only other month that doesn't have a $100 million opener is Jan but at least that one is American Sniper with $89 million. Wonder what it is about Sept/Oct that makes them such box office wastelands.

A big one is kids starting to get back into school in that time period, and not having that many breaks until November.

Vice

Unless the movie has good hold and chills in the middle of the top 5 it will be unlikely to make its budget back from the domestic box office alone. It has a chance though if it gets decent word of mouth and there isn't much in the way of kids animated movies in the next couple of weeks.

kswiston

I'd guess that Storks is heading for around $80M domestic with decent holds. Maybe $90M with good holds. As such, it will need to make about 1.5x that overseas to have a decent worldwide take on that $70M budget.

Animator

Surprised Storks is low. It is a hilarious movie.

Also this is the first time in a year the box office thread title didn't make me cringe, thanks OP.l

enigmatic_alex44

It's not the first time a shit movie made lots of money. At least this one had Batman and Will Smith in it. So, I'm okay with it.

Batman V. Superman is good though, better than Suicide Squad at least, especially if you watch the Extended Cut that fixed a lot of the film's issues.

Ross61

WAG is more than good. They have two lego movies coming out next year: Lego Batman, and Lego Ninjago. With Lego Ninjago being their biggest franchise. They just need to learn how to market their film better. They're next non-Lego outing will be in 2018, plenty of time to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom