• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mafia III Review Copies Ahead of Launch

This seems like exactly the kind of game that could benefit from a swell of good reviews leading up to release to generate momentum. I still think it looks interesting, but I have to admit my first reaction to this is a little bit of concern. Maybe the game is coming in hot though.

Shredderi

My first thought with cases like these is: "What's wrong with it?". It's obviously a flawed logic (DOOM is so fucking good).

styl3s

After the gutter trash that was Mafia II, I don't blame them.
thatsbait.gif

Is there a list of games that was critically a success that didn't get review copies? Because i have a hard time believing Doom is the only exception it seems like people only remember bad games im sure there have been a bunch of great games that didn't get review copies. I'm not worried because everyone i know who has played had nothing but nice things to say.

Duxxy3

There are exceptions, but this is typically a bad sign. All the gameplay that I've seen looks good though.

Montresor

Well, even if the game turns out bad, you still have a black protagonist playing a Django-Unchained style revenge story against the Italian mob. In New Orleans... with great oldies music. I'd still be down.

I mean damn - they would have to try really hard to make this a bad game.

hwy_61

Banned
Welp, worse case scenario for those who preordered(I'm talkin b&m only), just don't open that shit until you see reviews/gaf impressions!

watdaeff4

They know they have the GOTY. So why bother?

Between GCU and the $10 preorder cert from Best Buy, it's only $38 anyways.......

I'm sure it's not as awful as NMS.

oti

Banned
I've got a good feeling about this but as usual don't pre-order games. Base your purchases on impressions, not on feelings.

That seems kind of strange. Maybe I'm missing something but I saw a Mafia 3 Collector's edition unboxing on IGN yesterday. They can't use that disc to review the game (unless there is an embargo of course)?

cyba89

siren.png

thatsbait.gif

Is there a list of games that was critically a success that didn't get review copies? Because i have a hard time believing Doom is the only exception it seems like people only remember bad games im sure there have been a bunch of great games that didn't get review copies. I'm not worried because everyone i know who has played had nothing but nice things to say.
Not bait, the way its predecessor is so bad would not surprise me in the slightest if this one is as well. No early reviews could mitigate that.

robotrock

Banned
Please give wall of exampl-
wait, nah, it's not important, that doesn't affect the original point really if it's one exception vs a few, I'm pretty sure no pre review usually=bad game.

It doesn't mean anything. Bad video games are given to press before launch all the time.

meerak

I hope this trend continues.

No review copies is one of the many ingredients we need to kill the "Day 1 Obsession" that plagues our industry.

DOWN

Banned
So the internal mock reviews were weak? Or their deva forgot AF and other tech stuff like BioShock Collection?

Mattenth

No review copies is one of the many ingredients we need to kill the "Day 1 Obsession" that plagues our industry.

So you're saying that no review viewings of movies would cause a decrease in midnight and day 1 attendees?

I don't think your statement logically connects. Those buying on day 1 are fans who've fallen for the excitement and marketing of the studio. Withholding review copies doesn't benefit them at all.

Nzyme32

One of the few games that I've pre-ordered, and most of the reason for doing so is for being a big fan of the previous games and having a guaranteed refund on Steam should the worst case scenario occur of a crap game / unacceptable performance / features etc.

Not having reviews out before hand in suspicious to me, so all the better than I have that refund option at the ready, but I still hope for the best, as Mafia 1 and 2 were one of a kind

Should be getting the game through Gamefly once it releases, hopefully its not a mess but I will definitely post my impressions when I get my hands on it.

It's funny because they previously had this on the Steam page and had Youtuber's playing the game early, although that's common with most games the fact of the matter is that this is really scummy of the publisher 2K

CsArFYwWIAAlop4.jpg:large

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.

But...

If I get the 'day one' edition I'll get (probably) a free leather jacket, a gun, a car and some other items in game that I wont be able to get otherwise (or at least a couple of months when they start charging for all that content anyway)

Via GAME for example:

Pre-Order Bonus:
Judge, Jury and Executioner: Receive 3 exclusive weapons with 30 day early access.
Family Kick-Back: Building a criminal empire takes muscle and firepower. Receive 3 exclusive vehicles and weapons.

Sizzel

What would be a legit reason for this? aka game is GOTY they just don;t want to show it early and generate hype because...?

Top Bottom