• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DON'T listen to the haters. DO buy Yoshi Island DS! (Official Topic)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Athough most reviews have been positive, Yoshi Island DS has also caught an unfair amount of flack from a few unexpected places (Kohler I'm looking in your general direction).

The fact is the first few worlds are a little slow, but literally about halfway in (world 3, out of 5), the game rapidly escalates and becomes varied and more importantly CHALLENGING, and level design becomes much more complex, with some genuinely brain busting puzzles thrown in here and there, among the oldschool platforming skill sections.

Those comparing this game to Super Princess Peach are doing it a MAJOR disservice, and it's insulting to the package Artoon has put together, to be frank. Sure, the puzzles BEGIN with "see a vine? switch to DK. See a gust of wind? Switch to Peach." But later on, they get trickier. Obviously they never hit Mario Vs. DK levels of complexity, but they rise well above simple "puzzle by numbers."

The boss fights are another thing that stand out in my mind. Some of them literally stumped me, and some of them I died on a good 4-5 times before I figured it out. Not a huge number... but more than most Nintendo titles of late. Many of the later bosses take a good amount of expirimentation to sort out.

The final world is HARD. I mean like... hard hard. You'll die dozens of times getting through the last eight levels, I promise you. It won't matter because you'll have literally over 100 lives by that point (I have 141 at the moment), but still...

The bottem line is that I'm borderline tempted to call Yoshi Island DS the game New Super Mario Bros. SHOULD have been. Mario includes that pure EAD imagination, but Yoshi Island's levels are often LONG, with sometimes three or four unique paths to explore for flowers, red coins, etc. The game also packs many more secrets, and obviously replay value, as you attempt 100/100 on each level.

A fantastic package for anyone yearning for a genuine, SNES-style platformer. DO NOT write it off or pass it up because of the holidays. Especially if you want a DS release with some meat on it's bones.

ProphetZG

I agree. This game deserves more support than it seems to be getting. I like it better than NSMB & SPP.

Timeless gameplay & lovely traditional hand-drawn 2D (bleh to NSMB's overly slick looking polygonal elements). It's good stuff. Admittedly more of the same, and not much new (if anything?! I'm only a few levels in) - but it's more of something very good to begin with, and that's not bad at all. :)

Bebpo

Banned
Dr.Hadji said:
The real question is how close does it come to touching the perfection that is Yoshi's Island SNES?

I don't think that should matter. A good game is a good game.

But maybe I'm just saying that because I don't even remember what YI was like since that was like 10 years ago.

GDJustin

If people didn't KNOW it was by Artoon, they'd never guess that it was. Everyone would totally buy that it was done by EAD. The text/translation is a little quizzicle at times (I swear magikoopa repeats the SAME THING before every boss fight - "I can't believe you've made it this far! but no worry... _____ will beat you!" or something equally generic)

But there's also a lot of really cute moments, like the beginning of the level "Spear Guys' Village Found!" :

"Welcome to the Dancing Spear Guys' Village, where everyone is always jolly, friendly, and stabby!"

That got a big grin out of me. Even more importantly, it illustrates the variation in the levels. A couple levels take place on (and in) a ShyGuy's pirate ship. Another in the aforementioned "tribal" shyguy village. All 10 castles feel very different from one another. There's a few forced scrolling levels, a few "keep up with the moving platform" levels, and at the end of the game, SHIT GETS ****ING NUTS.

The first level of the final world (Rompin', Stompin' Chain Chomps) is INSANE. At first it's just crazy-huge chain chomps bouncing all around. Then it's huge chain chomps everywhere, and birds dropping bombs on you from above. Then it's all that, plus giant chain chomps dropping from the sky, making bottemless pits all around you, then being chased by a giant chain chomp, etc.

That's the FIRST level of the final world. They just get more nuts from there. All eight are horrowing experiences. I very rapidly devolved into a "man F*CK THESE FLOWERS, I just want out ALIVE" style of gameplay.

It's fantastic.

GDJustin

I hate to call other reviewers out (ahem egm), but anyone that says the game "just does the same stuff at the original Yoshi Island, and sometimes not as well" I am CONVINCED didn't play much past the halfway point.

It's true beyond the baby swapping there isn't a ton of actual new MECHANICS in the game, but that's not all there is to fresh game design. Yoshi Island DS pushes the gameplay, level design, and just the overall game design to places the original didn't go. It very much feels like a sequel, but in a very good way, not a bad way. There are level designs here that simply wouldn't have existed in the original.

You'll come across a key, but never find the locked door it goes to (without lots of exploration. There will be whole sections of levels you simply can't figure out how to access, the first time around).

It's true that actual gameplay mechanic-wise there isn't a ton of new stuff here, but it's still a fresh experience. Absolutely. ESPECIALLY in the latter half of the game.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
sounds really good. in the event that i don't get my ps3 this week, i'll buy this and a few psp games i've been eyeing.

EBCubs03

Banned
Baby switching is annoying as hell but it's not like it's overly challenging. Game just doesn't feel like it has heart.

And yeah, the music blows and it's better with the volume off.

GDJustin

EBCubs03 said:
Game just doesn't feel like it has heart.

That's what I *did* think, until I hit world three.

I mean come on... tons of little shyguy pirates running around a shyguy pirate ship? Sometimes stacked up in huge, swaying columns? Shyguy spearguys dancing all around? A cranky
Baby Bowser getting into an arguement with himself, (in adult form)
?

ant1532

Banned
Will get to keep me satisfied when I get in line Wednesday for PS3.

Challenging?

+1

Parish complaining about difficulty

Parish -1

Parish praises Zelda

Parish +1

Ant beat FF12?

Ant +6541

Beat Gears on Hardcore?

Ant + 4514

what the **** am i doing?

GDJustin

My own review is online:

http://www.modojo.com/reviews/ds/yoshis_island_ds/20061113/426/

4/5 (we don't do half stars)

Yoshi's Island DS is, for many hardcore gamers, the DS platformer they have been waiting for, whether they realized it or not. If New Super Mario Bros. was a "reboot" of that platforming franchise, designed to appeal to new and longtime gamers alike, then Yoshi's Island DS is its counterpoint - a sequel designed for those Yoshi's Island elite who were hardcore enough to attain perfection in the original. This is a Yoshi's Island fanatic's sequel, through and through.

Yoshi's Island DS is, simply put, a classic, lengthy, & challenging platforming experience - the type of game we don't see enough of, anymore. And make no mistake - the game gets CRAZY hard, later on. This is no pushover like NSMB or Super Princess Peach. You WILL die dozens of times in the last world, and bosses WILL stump you. If you enjoy 2D platformers however, you'll keep coming back for more punishment, until you've mastered even the game's most difficult levels. Platformer fans that have New Super Mario Bros. in their library, but not Yoshi's Island DS, are doing themselves a major disservice.

cicero

GDJustin said:
Athough most reviews have been positive, Yoshi Island DS has also caught an unfair amount of flack from a few unexpected places (Kohler I'm looking in your general direction).

The fact is the first few worlds are a little slow, but literally about halfway in (world 3, out of 5), the game rapidly escalates and becomes varied and more importantly CHALLENGING, and level design becomes much more complex, with some genuinely brain busting puzzles thrown in here and there, among the oldschool platforming skill sections.

Those comparing this game to Super Princess Peach are doing it a MAJOR disservice, and it's insulting to the package Artoon has put together, to be frank. Sure, the puzzles BEGIN with "see a vine? switch to DK. See a gust of wind? Switch to Peach." But later on, they get trickier. Obviously they never hit Mario Vs. DK levels of complexity, but they rise well above simple "puzzle by numbers."

The boss fights are another thing that stand out in my mind. Some of them literally stumped me, and some of them I died on a good 4-5 times before I figured it out. Not a huge number... but more than most Nintendo titles of late. Many of the later bosses take a good amount of expirimentation to sort out.

The final world is HARD. I mean like... hard hard. You'll die dozens of times getting through the last eight levels, I promise you. It won't matter because you'll have literally over 100 lives by that point (I have 141 at the moment), but still...

The bottem line is that I'm borderline tempted to call Yoshi Island DS the game New Super Mario Bros. SHOULD have been. Mario includes that pure EAD imagination, but Yoshi Island's levels are often LONG, with sometimes three or four unique paths to explore for flowers, red coins, etc. The game also packs many more secrets, and obviously replay value, as you attempt 100/100 on each level.

A fantastic package for anyone yearning for a genuine, SNES-style platformer. DO NOT write it off or pass it up because of the holidays. Especially if you want a DS release with some meat on it's bones.
For what it's worth, you just sold me on it, I had given up on it because of all the harsh reviews. Nice review, thanks.

Llyranor

Hmmm. I was thinking of passing up on this game. Maybe I'll have to rethink this. I'll wait for more player impressions.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yep, definitely looks and feels like Yoshi's Island so far. I haven't gotten to far, so it kind of feels like an expansion to the venerable classic, but comments made here and elsewhere give me hope that it evolves into its own thing in short order.

Artoon might have actually made a good, if not great game in YI DS. I guess stranger (and less welcome) things have happened. :lol

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Did you guys all hate Super Princess Peach that much? I thought it was a fun little game, if a bit on the easy side at times.

ant1532

Banned
DavidDayton said:
Did you guys all hate Super Princess Peach that much? I thought it was a fun little game, if a bit on the easy side at times.
Well, i liked the overall game but a couple of cons would be:

-Gay as ****(Is this against TOS?)
-for little girls
-difficulty set to little girls.
-everything is pink...

Only way to play the game is to play without getting hearts

Johnas

Any comments on the music? I did read EBCubs03's post above.

I loved the music in the first game. Does it even resemble it?

Mejilan

Music's fairly awful so far. That's a big disappointment. I guess I've heard about 6 or 7 different songs now, and each has made my ears bleed in diverse ways.

Edit - YI 2 -> YI DS name change was obviously done at the very last minute. Using the included My Nintendo registration code, it logs as YI 2, not YI DS.

dfi

Like everybody has commented, music blows. But the game is really fun. I'm liking it way more than nsmb which I still haven't finished cuz it wasn't that fun.

This game IS fun, and I look forward to each new level.

Ginko

Mejilan said:
Music's fairly awful so far. That's a big disappointment. I guess I've heard about 6 or 7 different songs now, and each has made my ears bleed in diverse ways.

too bad, i liked the old BGMs. but it's not a decision changer.

Johnas

Mejilan said:

Well crap. Thanks for the input though.

Mejilan

No problem. Game does FEEL and look quite solid so far though. I'm really surprised it hasn't vomitted in my face, as I half expected it to.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Gamespot Review said:
The Bad: Some people may not like the cleaned-up graphics; music tends to be understated; no multiplayer.

Really Gamespot? Really??

EBCubs03

Banned
Game got better since I played more. But GDJustin, I need help bad. I'm on 4-4 (mini castle) and I can't figure out how to outrun the falling stones that fall from overhead. Any help on this? I try dashing with DK but there's no way it's fast enough.

Alex

You cant hate on Yoshi's Island.

That's unpossible! Best platformer ever, cant believe this gem actually got a sequel.

GDJustin

EBCubs03 said:
Game got better since I played more. But GDJustin, I need help bad. I'm on 4-4 (mini castle) and I can't figure out how to outrun the falling stones that fall from overhead. Any help on this? I try dashing with DK but there's no way it's fast enough.

Baby mario dashes quicker :)

loosus

Banned
How simple is the game to play? To me, that was part of what made New Super Mario Bros. so much fun.

I'm very much on the fence with Yoshi's Island DS. I ****ing hated Super Princess Peach, so I'm wary of non-Nintendo-created Mario games now.

Mario includes that pure EAD imagination, but Yoshi Island's levels are often LONG
And that's a definite turn-off. I don't like long levels.

Mejilan

4 buttons. A/B/L/R or A/B/X/Y (you can choose from 4 setups, 2 for each layout). No touchscreen.

It literally controls almost exactly like the original.

GDJustin

ethelred said:
But EGM said it's hard...

And so did I :)

The difference is that I put this firmly in the "plus" category, not vice versa. The final world is REALLY hard, and the bonus levels even more fierce. I love it :)

carlos

I've been playing it non stop for the last hours and I'm on 5-3 (shy guy village); but its 5am, and I should get some rest to savor the last levels...

Kudos to Artoon, they managed to not **** up a classic and improve it in some ways.

positives: play control and level design are excellent
Finishing all levels at 100% will take a LONG time
Difficulty is well balanced
negatives: The music, while not horrible, is not as memorable as the original; like in NSMB
babies abilities are not used enough (mostly to get 100%, not to clear levels)
BGM volume seems to be too low, all I can hear is Yoshi moaning every 5 seconds when he floats

Misc: The levels, while long, have well placed checkpoints and baby switching stations
The graphics seem maybe a bit too cleaned up, I personally prefer the more hand drawn style of the original.
Also, the difficulty isn't that bad, I've got 97 lives to spare and I doubt I died more than twice on a level; the hard part is gonna be finishing levels with 100 points...

No one should have doubts about buying this one

Vexidus

I was gonna buy this game no matter what because I loved the first Yoshi's Island so much.. I lost my hype for the game over the last couple weeks or so but after reading some of these new impressions I'm more positive about picking this up!

Mar

I've never played the original, but I plan to pick up this one. I'm actually buying 2 copies. One for my wife. She's a Yoshi Island nut and played the first one to death.

ethelred

GDJustin said:
And so did I :)

The difference is that I put this firmly in the "plus" category, not vice versa. The final world is REALLY hard, and the bonus levels even more fierce. I love it :)

Oh, I know. I was kidding. I'm glad you guys considered the difficulty a plus, because it is. There's nothing wrong with hard games. Great review, by the way, and great job on shaming EGM with your opening (and subsequent) post. I'm looking forward to grabbing the game tomorrow with FFIII.

Top Bottom