• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC using PSVR thread.

pr0cs

It will be exciting to see what they can get to work, shame Sony never bothered to consider a pc release, can't help but think that it would have helped sell more units if they were more forthcoming with platform support

Ryde3

I was curious how long it would take, if this gets working soon it could make the PSVR the go-to headset for alot of people.

LewieP

It will be exciting to see what they can get to work, shame Sony never bothered to consider a pc release, can't help but think that it would have helped sell more units if they were more forthcoming with platform support

It's neat that Sony aren't blocking it's use on PC, but actively supporting it on PC is not in their interests. They are more interested in people using them on a PS4, where they make money on software. I doubt they have a huge margin on the headset (and even if they do today, that's not a very long term business model), but getting 30% or more on all Playstation VR software is where they will potentially make the most money going forward.

Tain

This rules. Bring on the SteamVR/OSVR support.

How is PSVR vs. Vive?

I don't think I'm enthusiast enough to go in top end!

Vive has faaaar better tracking, a higher-resolution display, and some unfortunate ring artifacts when bright things are on dark backgrounds.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm guessing it won't be long before the orientation data for the headset is figured out.

The harder bit will be coming up with a lib for full position tracking with the LEDs, and pairing that with a suitable camera. I think that will happen but I wonder if it'll take a while.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I fail to comprehend what the point is. We have far superior headsets available for PC.

The point is it is always good to be able to use hardware for multiple software platforms rather than having to buy multiple pieces of hardware.

And I think it would be pretty nice to drive PC VR games a native 120hz on this HMD, if you have the rig for it. It's also widely considered better/more comfortable for longer use than other headsets, and has some comparatively nice optics. It has some perks, in other words, it's not necessarily blanket-inferior in all regards to the two main other sets available on PC.

akileese

I fail to comprehend what the point is. We have far superior headsets available for PC.

That those who own a PSVR don't have to double dip and buy two headsets? This is a thread for people who are working on getting PSVR to function on a PC. Why make a snarky comment about the inferiority of the hardware that the very thread is based on?

scitek

I'd like to get one for use on my PS4, but I'm not too keen on spending another few hundred bucks on another one just for my PC.

EDIT: Plus, where the fuck am I gonna put two headsets?

Glix

What???

I have a PSVR. I cannot afford another headset and it would be cool if I could use it for the experimental PC stuff.

Not that hard to figure out but continue to brag about your superior headsets, we are all in awe.

Tain

I could see an unofficial software package that adds PSVR support to SteamVR becoming really widespread once polished.

Anybody make any progress on the PS4 camera? Or wait, it's a proprietary connection, right? So will people write a custom tracking solution for generic webcams...?

datamage

As has been mentioned already, having more options is always better. If PSVR only folk can tinker with VR stuff on PC, that would be great.

Also, I wouldn't say far superior. I've owned the Vive, currently have the Rift + PSVR, and the PSVR HMD is better in certain areas.

Glix

I could see an unofficial software package that adds PSVR support to SteamVR becoming really widespread once polished.

Anybody make any progress on the PS4 camera? Or wait, it's a proprietary connection, right? So will people write a custom tracking solution for generic webcams...?

Yeah I would think that is the easiest solution.

Sucks that there isn't a port for it on the breakout box.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Yes, that's possible - there were attempts for the Move controller, although I don't know what their quality was like.

Adaptors to get the camera working on PC might be possible also.

It's possible that Sony might support PC compatibility by connecting a PS4 to a PC, with the PS4 passing tracking or processed camera data to the PC. This was basically how they supported home-brew Move development on PC with PS3. AFAIK they've said PC support is possible at some point, and I'd guess if it does happen that this is how it would work.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The harder bit will be coming up with a lib for full position tracking with the LEDs, and pairing that with a suitable camera. I think that will happen but I wonder if it'll take a while.

I can see it happening using PS3 cameras first. There is a lot of work already getting Move controllers to work using 1 or more PS3 cameras.

Getting it to work using the PS4 camera is harder being that it's not even a standard USB connector.

Define superior. Some folks that own both a Rift and PSVR are saying they prefer the image on the PSVR because it's doesn't have godrays and has less screen door.

MUnited83

For you.
Cheaper alternative might mean bigger adoption
Well, the cheaper alternative is OSVR, that has similar specs to PSVR for 299$. That said, if someone manages to hack PSVR to work as a proper PC headset, it become a pretty nice value proposition for something that works with both PC and PS4. Coupled with the fact that OpenVR games can support Oculus Touch, Vive controllers and PlayStation move used with any VR headset, it would be quite a nice option.

Gitaroo

if they can get it to work also natively then the PSVR basically offers the best value ever. Though I am not sure how they can get the camera tracking to work, until Sony release an official AUX to usb converter. I will never get a vive nor oculus, not at those prices and have no room for them.

This is just what I was hoping for. Makes the purchase of a PSVR in a few months that much sweeter being PS4/PC player. I don't want to be buying a rift and this. So having one headset for both will be great. Hopefully we can get full compatibility at some point :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I can see it happening using PS3 cameras first. There is a lot of work already getting Move controllers to work using 1 or more PS3 cameras.

Getting it to work using the PS4 camera is harder being that it's not even a standard USB connector.

Do we know which capture rate PSVR uses with the camera?

Two PS eyes could do 120hz 320×240 stereo tracking. I'm guessing the PS4 camera is doing 120hz 640×400 stereo tracking, so something similar-ish might be possible with a PS eye setup.

If PSVR uses the 240hz mode on the camera it might be more difficult or expensive to replicate all the latency characteristics D: But I'm not sure it is using that mode...

Glix

Well, the cheaper alternative is OSVR, that has similar specs to PSVR for 299$. That said, if someone manages to hack PSVR to work as a proper PC headset, it become a pretty nice value proposition for something that works with both PC and PS4. Coupled with the fact that OpenVR games can support Oculus Touch, Vive controllers and PlayStation move used with any VR headset, it would be quite a nice option.

A 60fps headset is not "similar specs" lolololol

Im very interested in this

Seems to be very simple, the only problem being that the PSVR Breakout box needs to have something connected in its HDMI OUT port in order for it to power the headset.

If I understood correctly:

1. You plug the PSVR HDMI cable directly to your PC, not the breakout box.
2. In the HDMI OUT port of the PSVR breakout box, You have to plug a HDMI cable to a TV that is turned on. Could be bypassed by connecting something like Headless Ghost, (this will trick the PSVR breakout box into thinking a display is connected to it.)

After that, you should see your PC screen on the PSVR headset, not in cinema mode but your entire screen covering the whole PSVR display, then you can use something like VIREO or some kind of plugin to convert your game to side by side 3D.

As we have no headtracking yet, you can use something like the FreePIE Android app if you have an android phone, velcro it to your PSVR and get head tracking that way.

Might give all of this a try for Flight Simulator and Elite....

Pejo

Gold Member
I figured this would just be a matter of time, great news! I plan to eventually get a VR headset for PC, after a few revisions and price decreases, but it'd be awesome to eventually experience some PC only VR games with my current headset in the meantime.

Top Bottom