• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit is simulated in Football Manager 2017

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think this deserves its own thread because it is such an interesting way to combine the football simulation with the realities of the day.

Brexit is simulated in Football Manager 2017, and it's going to make the game harder than ever

Edit: alternative link http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-18-brexit-is-in-football-manager-17

Brexit_FM17_Big_Changes1-large_trans++CVUZkBwq4EHTAw0uDHH_62yv4h7Y-dqhV4mSI8uj9gA.jpg

While the rest of the world waits to see how the government approaches the triggering of Article 50, Jacobson and his team have built a Brexit simulator into this year’s game, which models some of the consequences of the UK leaving Europe.

The world outside football is not something that had previously been incorporated into Football Manager, a game so comprehensive that some clubs are now using it as a resource to help scout players. But Brexit, says Jacobson, was too big to be left out: “We usually try and keep politics out of the game because nobody wants it rammed down their throat.

In-game, players of Football Manager 2017 will be alerted at some point between two and 10 years in that trade negotiations have begun, and a year later a news bulletin will detail the extent of Brexit. There are three main scenarios:

1. Soft Brexit - free movement of workers remains.

2. Footballers are granted the same special exemptions that are currently given to ‘entertainers’. This means it is easier for them to obtain work permits than other people, and it will not have a huge impact on player movement from the EU.

3. Hard Brexit: similar rules to those which currently apply to non-EU players are adopted for all non-UK players.

It is this third option that would see the biggest effect on gameplay.

There are more details in the article. The whole algorithm/mechanic seems to go quite deep, with a lot of ramifications.

Lagamorph

It completely falls apart saying Scotland will remain with the EU though since that wouldn't happen in the event of independence.

Jackano

Great job as always with FM.

I think there should be more of that kind of super-events (even if this one is legit from the real world) but I understand most people doesn't play for 10+ seasons like I do.

Hasney

I think there should be more of that kind of super-events (even if this one is legit from the real world) but I understand most people doesn't play for 10+ seasons like I do.

Yeah, I've been wondering what would happen if World War 3 broke out.

Baleoce

It completely falls apart saying Scotland will remain with the EU though since that wouldn't happen in the event of independence.

Doesn't it fall apart at the bit where it claims players need to apply for work permits from "next season onwards"? I mean, the article isn't even triggered, and even from then the process takes around two years.

EDIT - Aah, this is from a few seasons ahead in the simulation.

Taelus

Why not? Isn't it the Scots' desire to remain in the EU a big motivator in the current push for independence?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

It's one of the possible scenarios in the game, but it's a bit fast-forwarded indeed.

Doesn't it fall apart at the bit where it claims players need to apply for work permits from "next season onwards"? I mean, the article isn't even triggered, and even from then the process takes around two years.

But it talks about leaving the EU already, not triggering the article 50.

Hasney

It says in the OP that it triggers between 2 and 10 seasons away from the start of the game.

Baleoce

It's one of the possible scenarios in the game, but it's a bit fast-forwarded indeed.

Aah I'm with you, so in the game this is a couple of seasons ahead already.

Jackano

Yeah, I've been wondering what would happen if World War 3 broke out.
You've almost gone directly to the Godwin point.

Brexit is a special case from the political world like Miles said.

I was more thinking of events like World Cup with 48 countries, french League Cup being abandoned, teams going bankrupt, etc...

Nzyme32

It doesn't. That is likely to be a key part of any referendum on independence even if the EU state it support as unlikely or likely. As such, despite only being a referendum for independence, the main drive and motif can be for both things to the point where people associate them as the same.

Even disregarding all that, this is only one of several outcomes the game can chase

Hasney

You've almost gone directly to the Godwin point.

Brexit is a special case from the political world like Miles said.

I was more thinking of events like World Cup with 48 countries, french League Cup being abandoned, teams going bankrupt, etc...

Nah, I actually think it would be cool to have large world events, no matter how ridiculous and just have a mode of them. Large asteroid coming so the league has to be postponed, world war 3 cancels matches and some of your players from countries that support it get drafted into their armies. Just add some chaos.

I did some things in the editor, like you could add Zombiefication as an injury. Almost wiped out some Serie B team.

krang

Why not? Isn't it the Scots' desire to remain in the EU a big motivator in the current push for independence?

Scotland wanting independent EU membership != Scotland given independent EU membership. Spain will block that from a country mile away.

I think it's just a bit of fun.

oni-link

Someone put a game on holiday for a decade and see which other countries leave the EU, if the EU falls apart, and which country it would be best to move to

Edit: actually just fast forward a month or so and let me know when the NX is revealed

Double slightly off topic edit: I wonder if they plan on putting in VR support for FM, so you can actually stand on the sidelines and watch your team
lose
play

Scotland wanting independent EU membership != Scotland given independent EU membership. Spain will block that from a country mile away.

I think it's just a bit of fun.

Spain can't hope to block shit when the only leg it's shit economy continues to stand on is support from the rest of the EU and even that is lame.

RocknRola

Life Manager 2017 :p hehe

Cool thing to add actually, not sure if really needed, but it does help the "realism" per say.

Audioboxer

Scottish football is the pits, so who cares about it lol. I'm not surprised football fans on average lack political foresight though. Spain won't do anything to a legal and legimately independent Scotland, issues only arrive with self declared independence and/or Scotland trying to remain in the EU whilst part of the UK.

At this stage you must either be a Daily Mail reader or a Unionist so desperate to be as dismissive as possible to keep playing the Spain card like it's some gotcha against Scotland.

Football manager has always been very good at following football trends and competitions. (Sugar daddy's, agents importance over the years, well being of the players, implementing complicated competitions like Belgium,...)

That kind of wonky stuff really has no place in Football Manager. And I'm saying that as someone who is currently in the year 2050 in a FM14 savegame :p

Nicktendo86

Scottish football is the pits, so who cares about it lol. I'm not surprised football fans on average lack political foresight though. Spain won't do anything to a legal and legimately independent Scotland, issues only arrive with self declared independence and/or Scotland trying to remain in the EU whilst part of the UK.

At this stage you must either be a Daily Mail reader or a Unionist so desperate to be as dismissive as possible to keep playing the Spain card like it's some gotcha against Scotland.

The 9% GDP deficit while the EU's rules state it can't be more than 3% should be enough to bar Scotland joining then, if the EU didn't have a habit of tossing it's own rules to one side when it suites them of course.

Every available poll showing Scotland doesn't want either another referendum or independence should also put the issue to bed, but interesting that they are building all sorts of scenarios.

Audioboxer

The 9% GDP deficit while the EU's rules state it can't be more than 3% should be enough to bar Scotland joining then, if the EU didn't have a habit of tossing it's own rules to one side when it suites them of course.

Every available poll showing Scotland doesn't want either another referendum or independence should also put the issue to bed, but interesting that they are building all sorts of scenarios.

I admit that, but the 2014 ref did swing from pretty low pre-polling to 45%. I think the more you see Brexit mishandled and real world experiences begin to hurt people (dropping pound/prices going up) the riskier it becomes for the UK government. While it's not a lock and loaded starting point at 45% for indyref2, it will be around that, so campaigning to swing for ~10% of the vote for someone like Sturgeon could be done.

Uzzy

Will this also mean that racism and fascism will be factors in the game?

FIFA ended racism, and Di Canio's already in the game.

Anyway, this is just another reason why Football Manager is the best simulator out there.

Nah, I actually think it would be cool to have large world events, no matter how ridiculous and just have a mode of them. Large asteroid coming so the league has to be postponed, world war 3 cancels matches and some of your players from countries that support it get drafted into their armies. Just add some chaos.

I did some things in the editor, like you could add Zombiefication as an injury. Almost wiped out some Serie B team.

Now I really want all that to be an option because it sounds awesome.

Baleoce

Out of interest, how much do the mobile / tablet versions of this differ to the PC game nowadays? Is it cut back / missing features at all?

Top Bottom