• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkan Toto: Super Mario Run developed by DeNA, NX may not be revealed this week

maxcriden

Update:

Emily's reply to Toto implies she thinks it will be revealed this week, not just an announcement of an event for next week

https://twitter.com/ArcadeGirl64/status/788447956823224322

https://twitter.com/ArcadeGirl64/status/788447956823224322

There it is. Emily Rogers is clearly implying that the NX reveal event will occur this week, against what Toto heard.

EDIT : I got Ash-Greninj'd.

Well there it is .gif

--

Original OP:

https://mobile.twitter.com/serkantoto/status/788420529837318148

"About SMR: it's still on track for a December release. Surprisingly, the game is not developed by Nintendo but partner DeNA."

"So the main engineering team sits in Tokyo, while Nintendo takes over "just" QA. Miyamoto is personally overseeing the game's progress."

"No trolling intended+take this one with a big grain of salt, but I was told not to expect a NX reveal this week. Might be wrong!"

"The interesting point here is that initially, under the partnership DeNA was supposed to cover the backend only."

"PS: I was told that Nintendo *will* talk about NX next Wednesday (Q2 earnings), but that's not really news: that *have* to then."

"PPS: Super Mario is still designed and directed by Nintendo in Kyoto. Engineered at DeNA in Tokyo."

Our own HotColdman asked, "I mean, what were people expecting? Just a random reveal out of the blur? They need to get people to save a date first."

Toto: "Something like that could happen, yes. Again, source situation is rock solid in the case of MR, not quite that good for NX."

"Rasca30 ‏@Rasca30
@serkantoto but there's a meeting with the investors next week do you think nintendo will say nothing before the 26th??

Serkan Toto: 26th at the latest."

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I can surely wait a week longer /self-targeted jedi mindtrick

Nbz

No NX reveal doesn't necessarily rule out the announcement of a Direct for next week. Hope isn't dead yet

DeNA does great work so Super Mario Run is in good hands I think.

Regarding the NX, oh well. If it shows up in the next week, great. A full reveal in that timeframe seems to be asking a bit much though.

I'm okay with this. Have actual Nintendo focus on the console games while overseering the mobile games and making sure there're up to snuff.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
f747377a09f3d0e1e3425bf8852908df_1986.jpg

He also points out that his opinion is that Nintendo's going to need to reveal it before the 26th.

I don't believe anyone's been 100% certain that it will be revealed this week, just that Nintendo's probably going to break their silence this week.

maxcriden

I'm pretty sure I read SMR was being made by Nintendo. I can't check because I'm on mobile and it was an interview on that

Yep, that's the impression I'd gotten also. That's why I was surprised to read that. It does free up some resources though. #paging Shikamaru, I think he will be pleased to see this if it's true.

He also points out that his opinion is that Nintendo's going to need to reveal it before the 26th.

I don't believe anyone's been 100% certain that it will be revealed this week, just that Nintendo's probably going to break their silence this week.

I'll add this to the OP. Grazie.

NateDrake

No one has outright said it was being revealed this week outside of that Oct. 21 Direct rumor. Expecting NX news this week is very different from a reveal. An announcement of the reveal would qualify.

I'm out, done. Leaving the NX hype and not coming back. Can't take all the conflicting reports and statements. Call me when we get something official.

FZZ

Banned
No one has outright said it was being revealed this week outside of that Oct. 21 Direct rumor. Expecting NX news this week is very different from a reveal. An announcement of the reveal would qualify.

Is it best to expect nothing though?

Mario Run stuff seems new but even with the NX stuff

A - lack of total confidence
B - doesn't contradict prior reports afaik
C - Was anyone expecting the full reveal this week?

RedFyn

When did Dena start developing games?

Edit: Ah. So they renamed mobage to Dena. Not to be confused with the publisher Dena. It's all very confusing

ramparter

Banned
No NX reveal doesn't necessarily rule out the announcement of a Direct for next week. Hope isn't dead yet
Usually Directs are announced the same week though I do vaguely remember one being announced the previous week, could be the Majoras Mask one...

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Nintendo's going to have a really good holiday between Pokemon Sun/Moon, the Classic NES Mini, and Super Mario Run.

Also, I'd love someone to do a tally to see what we have more of: NX threads or Donald Trump threads.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I do want to point out that there's a distinction between saying they will talk about the NX by the 26th, and that they will formally unveil it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I dont really a DeNA developed Mario runner. Talk about killing the hype.

I do want to point out that there's a distinction between saying they will talk about the NX by the 26th, and that they will formally unveil it.

Sure, but it would make more sense for investors to come into the meeting with a full understanding of what NX is as a product, and Kimishima et al. to brief them on the financial aspects.

But Nintendo does some weird stuff and it's not like we haven't waited a long time already, so sure, that's possible.

Yup.

"oh yeah we're totally doing something called NX next year, be excited!"

*Call ends*

Maybe this is naive, but I honestly don't think they can play the "it's still coming in March, reveal date TBA, nothing to announce today" card again this close to launch. Bare minimum is either a reveal date or a delay into next FY.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sure, but it would make more sense for investors to come into the meeting with a full understanding of what NX is as a product, and Kimishima et al. to brief them on the financial aspects.

But Nintendo does some weird stuff and it's not like we haven't waited a long time already, so sure, that's possible.

I think they might announce an unveil window (or reaffirm it as "Fall") and then hold a special investor briefing after the unveil.

jett

D-Member
Emily Rogers' reputation will evaporate with the quickness if nothing is shown in the next two weeks.

udivision

Emily Rogers' reputation will evaporate with the quickness if nothing is shown in the next two weeks.

If Nintendo somehow reveals nothing about the NX in the month of October, no one will be thinking about Emily Rogers.

As in, Nintendo will be getting the third degree... from everyone.

Well, she's definitely putting her reputation on the line with all her NX reports. Total life and death situation. I admire that actually.

The flipside of course is that if she's right she makes a big name for herself.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Well I don't want a Nintendo developer Mario runner so at least this turned out well for one of us.

Well...actually you are kinda right - knowing that the Nintendo devs are all busy with NX stuff is good news.

Kouriozan

This is surprising, one would think the mascot IP would have been made by Nintendo themselves.
But I don't doubt there are closely surpervising it.

killroy87

26th at the latest?? We'll see about that.

This is so weird lol. Sony announced the PS4 reveal at least a month beforehand, if I remember correctly. It's technically possible that this happens super quickly, but it's incredibly out of the ordinary. It makes me believe the entire reveal is a Nintendo Direct. Which is fine with me, it's just super weird to not want press impressions.

Well...actually you are kinda right - knowing that the Nintendo devs are all busy with NX stuff is good news.

Yeah, I actually see this as positive news. Nintendo's mobile games likely won't live or die based on their gameplay anyway- rather, the brand recognition will cause these games to sell.

I'd much rather have Nintendo's developers busy with huge amounts of NX games.

Why do I get the feeling that they will say this at the investor meeting?
"We will release our new video game system codenamed NX in March, we will announce further details later this year."

Top Bottom