• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube PS4 1.05/1.06 update enables 4K playback on PS4 Pro

Vashetti

Banned
Just downloaded

CvFPGK1WcAAcQyt.jpg:orig

ViciousDS

Banned
Yes! I love more ways come next month to hit the Comcast monthly cap faster! Lol

Hope they patch Vudu for 4k support as welm

ViciousDS

Banned
I literally signed up for 4K streaming on Netflix 3 days before Comcast sent out their cap notice email.

Cancelled my Netflix 4K upgrade soon afterwards.

I'm going to hit it regardless due to cutting the cable......God, they basically murdered almost all digital streaming services with that shit. Can you imagine how much flak they are going to get after the 4k mass buying of TVs and media streaming come this black friday?

ViciousDS

Banned
I'm probably going to cancel cable and just opt for the unlimited data plan

Sadly with the parents and they refuse to cancel lol.....we are using PlayStation Vue right now which is an outstanding service. We have 5 devices hooked up for it. 3 firetvs, a ps3 and my ps4. Only $45 a month for the channels we need for live TV. However this unlimited for $50 is basically making me think about getting X1 service since it would be cheaper due to comcasts bullshit caps and reduce the usage a ton

I guess this is cool, but I don't know of a 4k TV sold today that doesn't have a Youtube app. Combine that fact with the amount of energy a PS4 Pro uses, it's not as interesting.

viHuGi

Banned
I guess this is cool, but I don't know of a 4k TV sold today that doesn't have a Youtube app. Combine that fact with the amount of energy a PS4 Pro uses, it's not as interesting.

Lol what? jesus.

Anyway hopefully more apps start supporting 4K, the more the better, soon i want to see everything at 4K :D

flozuki

To be fair, there are 4K TVs where the Youtube-App doesn't fully support 4K.

viHuGi

Banned
Does anyone know if the ps4 youtube app support 1080p?
It always looks 720p to me :(

Yes, 1080p and 60fps if the video is encoded to play at 60fps, you can´t manually choose resolution, it adjusts based on your internet, i´m always watching at rock solid 1080p, app is fantastic.

Twitch on the other hand is crap, stutters and rewinds in time.

MazeHaze

Banned
Lol what? jesus.

Anyway hopefully more apps start supporting 4K, the more the better, soon i want to see everything at 4K :D

Hes right though. Literally all I have to do is pull up a youtube video on my phone and click the tv icon and I get 4k youtube on my tv, fast as hell.

farisr

Apps, whether its youtube or netflix, generally tend to run better on consoles than TVs from what I've seen.

This is why its not a "well why should I care, since it's already on my TV anyways" situation.

Only time I'd be using an app on my 4KTV over the Pro is if there's something extra exclusive to the TV app (like Dolby Vision) that the Pro doesn't support.

viHuGi

Banned
Hes right though. Literally all I have to do is pull up a youtube video on my phone and click the tv icon and I get 4k youtube on my tv, fast as hell.

That´s what i do on my Ps4 aswell so i´m not seeing where he is right since i only turn on my tv when i play Ps4.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
As stupid as this is going to sound, this is the sort of thing that could push me to buy a 4K TV and PS4 Pro earlier than I was planning to.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
As stupid as this is going to sound, this is the sort of thing that could push me to buy a 4K TV and PS4 Pro earlier than I was planning to.

Meh. Actually finding 4k content to stream is annoying enough as it is.

Due to compression etc, it still loses to a 1080p Blu Ray on top of that.

Yes, 1080p and 60fps if the video is encoded to play at 60fps, you can´t manually choose resolution, it adjusts based on your internet, i´m always watching at rock solid 1080p, app is fantastic.

Twitch on the other hand is crap, stutters and rewinds in time.

How good is the connection have to be in order to accomplish 108pp?

onQ123

Meh. Actually finding 4k content to stream is annoying enough as it is.

Due to compression etc, it still loses to a 1080p Blu Ray on top of that.

Next year things will get a better for streaming 4K thanks to AV1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOMedia_Video_1

AOMedia Video 1 (AV1) is an open, royalty-free video coding format designed for video transmissions over the Internet. It is being developed by the Alliance for Open Media (AOMedia), a consortium of leading firms from the semiconductor industry, video on demand providers, and web browser developers, founded in 2015. It is the primary contender for standardisation by the video standard working group NetVC of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).[1] The group has put together a list of criteria to be met by the new video standard.[2] It is meant to replace Google's VP9 and compete with HEVC/H.265 from the Moving Picture Experts Group.
AV1 can be used together with the audio format Opus in a future version of the WebM format for HTML5 web video and WebRTC.

Features

The main distinguishing feature is its royalty-free (patent) licensing terms that set it apart, notably from its main competitor HEVC with its complicated and costly software patent licensing situation. Whether it can be convincingly argued that it does not infringe on patents of competing companies is seen as crucial for the chances for widespread adoption. Under patent rules adopted from the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), technology contributors license their AV1-connected patents to anyone, anywhere, anytime based on reciprocity, i.e. as long as the user on his part doesn't engage in patent litigations.[3]

It aims for state of the art performance with a noticeable compression efficiency advantage at only slightly increased coding complexity. The performance target is about 50% efficiency improvement over HEVC and VP9. In beginning of June 2016 its performance was already comparable to HEVC as measured using the objective metric PSNR-HVS-M.[4]

It is specifically designed for real-time applications (especially WebRTC) and higher resolutions (wider color gamuts, higher frame rates, UHD) than typical usage scenarios of the current generation (H.264) of video formats where it is expected to achieve its biggest efficiency gains. It is therefore planned to support the color space from ITU-R Recommendation BT.2020 and 10 and 12 bits of precision per color component.

History[edit]

The first official announcement of the project came with the press release on the formation of the Alliance. The growing usage of its predecessor VP9 is attributed to confidence in the Alliance and (the development of) AV1 as well as the pricy and complicated licensing situation of the MPEG's competitor HEVC.
The roots of the project precede the Alliance, though. Individual contributors started experimental technology platforms years before: Daala already published code in 2010,[10] VP10 was announced on September 12, 2014, and Thor was published on August 11, 2015. The first version 0.1.0 of the AV1 reference codec was published on April 7, 2016.

The bitstream format is projected to be frozen between the end of 2016 and March 2017.
First compatible hardware components are expected to become available within 12 months after that.

Adoption[edit]

Due to appropriate companies being present in the Alliance it is assumed to get rapid adoption by major webbrowsers (Mozilla, Microsoft, Google), content distributors (Netflix, Amazon.com/Amazon Video, Google/YouTube), and device manufacturers. Most major browsers already incorporate an older version of the AV1 codec library called libvpx and may simply need to upgrade this component to support the new format. YouTube declared intent to transition to the new format as fast as possible, starting with highest resolutions within six months after the finalization of the bitstream format. Companies from within the Alliance (AMD, ARM, Intel, Nvidia) are working on hardware support for decoding and encoding AV1.

Top Bottom