• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung made YouTube remove video of GTA mod that turns Note 7 into a bomb

benzopil

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/19/13333386/samsung-galaxy-note-7-gta-mod-youtube-takedown

Samsung apparently doesn't see much humor in a Grand Theft Auto V mod that turns the recalled, hazardous Galaxy Note 7 into an in-game weapon. In fact, the company is trying to erase it from the internet completely. Samsung has issued a DMCA takedown targeting a YouTube video that showcased the mod, which gives the Note 7 explosive, grenade-like capabilities. It was a pretty great way of poking fun at Samsung's ongoing PR crisis — and now the company is responding in a terrible way: ridiculous overreach and misuse of the DMCA tool.

Screen_Shot_2016-10-19_at_1.48.04_PM.0.png

Justinh

Damn, I shoulda downloaded it. I thought it was pretty funny.

Oh, it's still up here (Although I'm not sure this is the one the article refers, but it's the one I first saw).

Is this gonna be some Streisand effect type shit? Although, I guess who doesn't already know all about the Note 7 problems. The company already reached out to get people to stop using their phones already.

Now my mental image of Samsung brand is completely restored, as I've suddenly forgot about both the video and its subject. Thanks, Samsung!

I'd love to see this modded into the scene where the head of LifeInvader presents his keynote and
has his head blown off by the explosive device.

Lmfao that's amazing, I hope this will start to sink into phone manufacturers that slimmer isn't better. Fucktards need to let battery tech catch up clearly.

Sparse

I don't think that particularly applies here because it's a major news story. Everyone already knew about it.

In a way, but instead of working to fix their mess and let it fade, they do things like this (despite this being a very small part of the overall shit heap).

mothball

Absolute bullshit abuse of DMCA. Makes me wish the other manufacturers could get their shit together and make a phone that's better than the S7 in all ways instead of just equal or worse, because man is Samsung shitty as a company.

hesido

WTF Samsung.

I don't think this will create a Streisand effect on the exploding cell issue though, as that's already been so widely known, but just the mod and the video will receive that effect.

Absolute bullshit abuse of DMCA. Makes me wish the other manufacturers could get their shit together and make a phone that's better than the S7 in all ways instead of just equal or worse, because man is Samsung shitty as a company.

Galaxy Note was their only modern series of phones I loved :(

Forgive my ignorance, but explain to me why this is an abuse of DMCA. I guess I don't understand it fully. If they used Samsung's name and literally ripped an image OF the real device, then doesn't that mean they can rightfully request the video that depicts it be removed from YouTube?

I'm not saying I agree with the action, quite the contrary, I think it's pathetic and does more harm to their image than good. Just curious.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Forgive my ignorance, but explain to me why this is an abuse of DMCA. I guess I don't understand it fully. If they used Samsung's name and literally ripped an image OF the real device, then doesn't that mean they can rightfully request the video that depicts it be removed from YouTube?

I'm not saying I agree with the action, quite the contrary, I think it's pathetic and does more harm to their image than good. Just curious.
Just because an image of Samsung's phone is used in a video created by a player of Grand Theft Auto V doesn't mean that Samsung owns the video itself.

The idea of DMCA is that if you're the copyright holder can instruct the hoster to make your material unavailable with a takedown notice.

Just because an image of Samsung's phone is used in a video created by a player of Grand Theft Auto V doesn't mean that Samsung owns the video itself.

The idea of DMCA is that if you're the copyright holder can instruct the hoster to make your material unavailable with a takedown notice.

Thank you for clearing that up.

Wow, what assholes.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Good job advertising the mod!

This is the last thing Samsung should be getting heated about with this fiasco.

Top Bottom