• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101's soundtracks to be discontinued by the end of the year

Despite being a digital release, the soundtracks for Wonderful 101 are going to be taken down from stores by the end of the year. Until then, the soundtrack is available at a discount for $9.99 for each volume on both Sumthing and iTunes.

https://www.platinumgames.com/official-blog/article/9149

The Wonderful 101 Original Soundtrack leaving stores
Unfortunately, we’ve got some bad news: The original soundtrack to The Wonderful 101 will no longer be available for purchase after December 2016*. This soundtrack, the first release from PlatinumGames’ record label, Polaris Tone, debuted in Japan on September 15, 2014. While we’re sad to see it leave the marketplace, we hope you’ll take this opportunity to get it while it’s still available. If you haven’t gotten your copy yet, scroll down to find out how. *Please be aware that some stores may discontinue sales of the soundtrack before December 31.

Sumthing
http://www.sumthing.com/p/the-wonderful-101-vol-1/
http://www.sumthing.com/p/the-wonderful-101-vol-2/

iTunes
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/wonderful-101-orijinaru-saundotorakku/id916769731?app=iTunes
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/wonderful-101-orijinaru-saundotorakku/id917030893?app=iTunes

and from Kamiya himself:
…And oh yeah, please share this announcement with everyone you can, because again, I’d love for it to reach as many people as possible. Let’s give everyone a chance to get this special soundtrack before it’s gone.

de-list me if old.

Vinnk

It's DRM free. You play the files anywhere basically.

It's not a closed system like gaming consoles.

But what if I want to buy it next year?

If a CD stops being made, I can still buy it used. But digital only? If it is delisted, DRM free or not, I no longer have the option to buy it. If I missed it there would be no (legal) way to obtain it.

This isn't nefarious like closed consoles, it won't lock you out of content you bought. But it can make content unobtainable. And unless it also goes public domain the day it's delisted, the only way to get it is piracy.

Unless I'm missing something.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I somehow missed this announcement. Saw it on Twitter this late.

Might as well bump this thread too

Thats odd, it can't cost that much money (if any) to have it on the storefronts for purchase, can it?

Can I buy a physical version anywhere? Or just the digital versions?

Regiruler

Probably some of the music has a weird contract

How would that be possible? All of the composers are platinum standards IIRC, and none of their other soundtracks haven't had issues.

Could it be a Nintendo thing? Why would they care about how long it's kept up?

@MUWANdo

Banned
How would that be possible? All of the composers are platinum standards IIRC, and none of their other soundtracks haven't had issues.

Could it be a Nintendo thing? Why would they care about how long it's kept up?

They probably had to license the music from Nintendo and these licenses are never perpetual, and Nintendo probably doesn't care enough to renew it because the game isn't popular.

An early Xmas present to me it is, maybe I'll make some jewel cases for them as well

Oh jeez I gotta find a CD drive to burn these with... what an odd problem to have

5taquitos

Behold, the digital future. Where everything needs to be preserved by the customer.

How is this really any different than a label stopping production on a CD? If no more CDs are being made, it's up to the owners to preserve the copies out there. In this case, it's even easier.

Keasar

Behold, the digital future. Where everything needs to be preserved by the customer.

Nothing is ever forgotten on the Internet. If they remove the soundtrack it will always exist somewhere.

It is however a great shame that they would for some bloody reason remove the soundtrack from stores where people could get it legally. Is it because of licensing fee issues or something that they are taking it down?

I'll buy it anyway as soon as I get home.

Adaren

I thought this was just a physical thing; didn't realize that the soundtrack is getting completely discontinued.

Bought.

Thats odd, it can't cost that much money (if any) to have it on the storefronts for purchase, can it?

Can I buy a physical version anywhere? Or just the digital versions?

I guess either someone doesn't want to pay royalties, or the license only went to the end of this year and it is not being renewed.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
With only about 10 days left, I bought the albums.

I still wonder why the discontinuation. Is Nintendo trying to pretend this game doesn't exist?

R.D.Blax

Bought them on sumthing and the download failed. And of course I can't try to download them again... Contacted the customer service but I have a bad feeling about it

Neff

Could possibly be because of vocal contracts. The theme song is sung by numerous individuals who almost certainly don't work for PG or Nintendo. If Nintendo wants a Switch port (and they should because it's fucking amazing) then they might have to undo some music industry red tape.

Bought them on sumthing and the download failed. And of course I can't try to download them again... Contacted the customer service but I have a bad feeling about it

Same happened to me and I emailed them and was permitted another download. Might be an issue if you've waited a while, though.

R.D.Blax

Could possibly be because of vocal contracts. The theme song is sung by numerous individuals who almost certainly don't work for PG or Nintendo. If Nintendo wants a Switch port (and they should because it's fucking amazing) then they might have to undo some music industry red tape.

Same happened to me and I emailed them and was permitted another download. Might be an issue if you've waited a while, though.

Just emailed them a few minute ago. I hope they allow me another download too

Koren

If a CD stops being made, I can still buy it used. But digital only? If it is delisted, DRM free or not, I no longer have the option to buy it.
Well, unless there's been recent changes on the laws, it's not clear you can't resell digital goods. Under EU law, reselling software should get a pass, at least. I don't see how music should be different.

They'll try to sell you a service, instead of digital goods, obviously. But that doesn't necessarily means they're right in doing so.

entremet

A few more days left!

Also iTunes is DRM free. You can buy it and move your files to player of choice if you can't stand the player.

They're just AAC files.

A few more days left!

Also iTunes is DRM free. You can buy it and move your files to player of choice if you can't the player.

They're just AAC files.

Thanks so much for the bump!

I hadn't heard the news - had bought the first volume ages ago and had been meaning to get the second, so great to realise that time was running out.

yyr

For people speculating as to why it's disappearing: yes, it's possible that it's a legal/contract/licensing issue, but it could also be an issue of cost.

There is a yearly charge associated with listing items on iTunes (and possibly others). If the revenue coming in wasn't enough (or was barely enough) to cover this charge, they may have delisted it for that reason.

The same thing happened with my friend, who composed the soundtrack to one of my XBLIG, Bungee Ferret Tossing. It was on sale for a year, but when the time came to pay again, it wasn't worth it.

Top Bottom