• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Razer Raiju controller for PS4 announced

chadskin

raiju-controller-front.png

raiju-controller-back.png

Designed for conquering professional eSports tournaments, the Razer Raiju is equipped with advanced controller customisation and ergonomics. Its features include:

• Two extra bumpers and two extra detachable triggers
  • Built-in control panel on the front of the controller
  • Trigger-stop switches and hair trigger mode for ultra-fast trigger responses
  • Two custom profiles which you can instantly switch between and modify
  • 3.5mm headset jack and dedicated headset volume and mic mute controls
  • Detachable analog stick rubber caps which provide extra grip during intense gaming sessions
  • Compatibility with all PS4 systems via the braided 3m-long USB cable – detachable for easy storage

The Razer Raiju will launch this holiday season and you can sign up to receive more information about it here.

Those ergonomics look iffy at best. Having those headset shortcuts would be nice, as well as the paddle grips, but... it just doesn't look comfy to hold.

NEO0MJ

Nice design. Something about it seems familiar but I can't put my finger on it. I just need one tip to figure it out.

Wow didn't expect this. I thought there razer boss didn't like PlayStation?

Maybe but eventually you'll have to give in due to business pressure considering this is where the majority of players are, especially outside the US.

SerTapTap

Man that is ugly. I get the intent but I can't imagine it's up to par with the Xbox One elite controller.

I also don't get what's going on with the back buttons. The third shoulders seem like a poor way of apparently replacing the 4 back paddles. Whole point of back paddles was to give access to all 4 face buttons without moving any fingers off the shoulders or analogs.

xXDGFXx

Neo Member
Wow didn't expect this. I thought there razer boss didn't like PlayStation?

Seems he still doesn't, but probably not as much as before. This effort put into this design really doesn't look anywhere near as nice as the other products. It probably works, but it does not look nice at all. It's just really jagged all over.

Hoo-doo

Banned
They actually did it. Razor managed to create a peripheral without hideous green trim or flashing LEDs.

Does it have to be wired though? Nobody got time for that shit.

Justinh

I imagine it'll be 150 dollars, just like their other ugly controller, the Wildcat.

ACGrWxD.png
Fw7Hqj4.png

Those "middle" shoulder buttons will never not look uncomfortable to use to me.
edit: put these closer for comparison's sake

edit again: has Razer ever made a comfy looking Dpad?

Looks like a batarang. Although, if it's wireless, has a good battery life and that I can change the sticks with the elite ones... that'd be a day one for me.

SerTapTap

They actually did it. Razor managed to create a peripheral without hideous green trim or flashing LEDs.

Does it have to be wired though? Nobody got time for that shit.

Second pic makes it looks like you can pull the cable out. Probably just a less pull-out-prone wire than the usual microusb

Mmm, can't wait for those analog sticks to start drifting like crazy and having to deal with somewhat hostile customer support like I did with my two Razer Onzas.

Spinluck

Don't give a shit how it looks since the DS4 is already ugly.

If it's comfy to hold and doesn't have one of the worst battery life spans a wireless controller can have. I'll buy it.

styl3s

If the controller works good ill buy it for that headset stuff alone because i don't like open mic and unless you buy that shitty insignia third party chat adapter you are shit out of luck.

Orayn

I'll take one for the team and get one of these. The DS4 has enough room for improvement that this could be pretty nice if the build quality holds up.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
People beg for ps4 premium controllers and instant doubt thrown on both 3rd party offerings. Not exactly sure what you expect sony to do much better on.

dpranker

Neo Member
Is there no light bar? You'd think the people paying 150 for a controller would also be more likely to have PSVR

Justinh

(I'm posting reviews for the Wildcat because they look so similar and I imagine they'll function/feel the same)
https://www.destructoid.com/review-razer-wildcat-346774.phtml

Here's a review for the Razer Wildcat. She likes the responsive buttons, the Dpad, and the back triggers. Says it's not as comfortable to hold as an elite controller.
The thumbsticks on the Wildcat are comfortable and responsive. Not much else to be said about them, they're good, solid thumb sticks. Where the colored face buttons feel more satisfying to press on the Elite controller, the Wildcat's face buttons seem to be more responsive, and more able to keep up with repeated button presses. While for me, the Elite's satisfying feel is more important, I won't deny the Wildcat has the edge in responsiveness.
Is there no light bar? You'd think the people paying 150 for a controller would also be more likely to have PSVR

I can't imagine a premium controller like this being useful at all in VR. Since your head controls camera, not the right stick.

Here's another review for the Wildcat from PCMag. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2497767,00.asp
They actually call it comfortable to hold. No wireless option on the older controller

Face-Off: Microsoft Xbox Elite controller vs Razer Wildcat (Eurogamer) -should be mentioned, they have complaints about the lower paddles getting stuck on the upper paddles on the elite controller, but that's because they have the top paddles inserted upside-down on the wrong side
Says it's wired right there in the OP

Pretty sure I remember the OP just being the pics and link to the site, and that blurb of info was added after they posted.

Koyuga

Do 3rd party companies like Razer/Madcatz/Pelican even use human hands to test the ergonomics of their controllers? They always look and feel beyond uncomfortable.

Hoo-doo

Banned
People beg for ps4 premium controllers and instant doubt thrown on both 3rd party offerings. Not exactly sure what you expect sony to do much better on.

Well if they made a quality affordable controller that didn't look like it cuts your hand by just picking it up, i'd be in like flynn.

I don't need all this OW THE EDGE in my gaming peripherals.

SerTapTap

Everything? Look at the DS4. Look at the Xbox One elite controller. First parties are already doing much better. Even the Xbox One controller being "largely the same but with stuff added" is far superior. Literally just put switchable caps on DS4 and the removable back paddles and I'd say it's more worthy of $150 than this.

Hikami

Looks terrible and of course it's by Razer.. Already had some bad experiences with their products to the point where I'm never buying anything from them again.

Allforce

Don't give a shit how it looks since the DS4 is already ugly.

If it's comfy to hold and doesn't have one of the worst battery life spans a wireless controller can have. I'll buy it.

Looks like a batarang. Although, if it's wireless, has a good battery life and that I can change the sticks with the elite ones... that'd be a day one for me.

Says it's wired right there in the OP

Arc81

Banned
Razer. I wonder if they made this out of the CEO knowledge or it took everything that he got to approve the project. Poor guy.

Top Bottom