• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop talks Wii, PS3 launch tie-in #s

h0l211

Part of their earnings call:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=11795

"On the Playstation 3, GameStop found its top titles were Resistance and Madden, while on Wii, The Legend of Zelda and Red Steel were the top sellers. The Wii and PS3 achieved tie ratios of 3.0 and 1.5 respectively.

While the latter was somewhat lower than usual, executives explained that the smaller percentage was due to the excessive number of PS3s being purchased exclusively for resale at a "huge premium," and that they expect historical tie ratio norms to prevail once the consoles reach the hands of "true gamers.""

Also complaints over PS3 launch allocation:

"When asked if the company received an allocation of launch units that it saw as consistent with its marketshare, the executives said that they in fact did not, but that in its 10 years of business it had never seen a launch allocation it was truly satisfied with.

In particular, the company said, the initial allocation of PS3s was not as good, but based on early reports of resupply, they expect a more consistent flow of goods to come from Sony, in contrast to the launch of the 360 at this time last year, where supplies from Microsoft became more sporadic moving through the holiday season to the end of the year."

pewye

Banned
Great Wii tie-in #s.

Madden Wii comes out tomorrow, right???

I hope it sells, it looks like EA spent a lot of time on it

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
h0l211 said:
The Wii and PS3 achieved tie ratios of 3.0 and 1.5 respectively.

strong ratio for Wii considering it already comes packed with a game

h0l211 said:
executives explained that the smaller percentage was due to the excessive number of PS3s being purchased exclusively for resale at a "huge premium,"

might also be linked to that $600 price point

pewye said:
Great Wii tie-in #s.

No, I'm pretty sure I saw Madden Wii on the shelf of my local EB games on Sunday, and it was on sale. So I think it came out at launch. Just remember we are talking about rabid Nintendo fanboys here, ones that don't normally care about Madden. So I wouldn't expect it to sell amazingly well.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
ethelred said:
The Wii tie ratio seems particularly high when one considers that the system has a pack-in game, too.

I guess third parties are gonna be pleased, since there's not many Nintendo titles left, a high tie ratio means third parties actually made some good sales. Specially considering it ties to a higher number of Wiis aswell.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
pewye said:
Great Wii tie-in #s.

No. Madden was out on Sunday. I have it.

as much as im a sony loyalist, i think they f*ked up the launch supply this time....damn it i cant even get a single damn PS3 and had amazon.com cancel my online preorder on me. guess no thanxgiving Playstationin' for me :evil: :evil:

I'm shocked the Wii tie ratio was that high. Almost everyone I was in line with was just buying Zelda. Does anyone remember what the 360 tie ratio was? I think it was around 3.5....

Somnia

mmlemay said:
I'm shocked the Wii tie ratio was that high. Almost everyone I was in line with was just buying Zelda. Does anyone remember what the 360 tie ratio was? I think it was around 3.5....

Well when I bought my system I was only buying Zelda also ,but I also bought 5 3rd party games on Saturday. All the games besides Nintendos were pretty much out on Saturday and I bet alot of people picked them up early.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned PS3's lower tie ratio being a result of scalpers that have no interest in actually playing games.

Gotta agree with Stinkles, though, Resistance has to have a crazy ratio. 55% sounds about right.

anachronous_one said:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned PS3's lower tie ratio being a result of scalpers that have no interest in actually playing games.

Well it does say that in the original post :)

1.5 tie ratio??? I guess everyone bought Resistance and Genji and then after playing Genji they promptly returned it...

Yes, guys, I know it's a f*cking average.

Tieno

anachronous_one said:
It was said in the article
While the latter was somewhat lower than usual, executives explained that the smaller percentage was due to the excessive number of PS3s being purchased exclusively for resale at a "huge premium," and that they expect historical tie ratio norms to prevail once the consoles reach the hands of "true gamers.""

argon

anachronous_one said:

It's mentioned right in the article.

Unison

I know Red Steel is probably shit, but it was a big investment for Ubisoft, and I am glad to see that it's getting some sales. I hope it instills faith in the company (and other 3rd parties) to keep putting out exclusive Wii titles.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
argon said:
It's mentioned right in the article.
Tieno said:
It was said in the article
Ah ****.

/hangs head in shame

I think the whole "Low attachments are because of Ebay" excuse is kind of shitty. Either Sony has to admit that roughly 50% of their launch allocations went on Ebay or their launch allocations were in the 150,000-200,000 units range.

Busaiku

I'm quite shocked by the number of games Wii owners bought.
I too thought Wii Sports would heavily impact further purchase of games for the system.
Also nice that Ubisoft is doing well on the system; hopefully they'll touch up more games next time around, since they are selling.
Also hoping that Trauma Center did well so we can see some more Atlus love (similar to the Nintendo DS).

Jiggy

I expected something like this. Buying a Wii leaves a person with $350 more to pick up some games than buying a PS3.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I would think that more gamers purchased their systems from gamestop since it all happened way before all the media blitz

Dahbomb said:
1.5 attach ratio for PS3? Much higher than I expected.

Because half of the scalpers knew what they were doing and bought a few games to go with the system so that it jacks the winning bids up.

I could care less about dumb tie ratios. I want EB/GS to stop BSing around and let the people cut out of the pre-orders know exactly when their 2nd shipment is coming. I've loaned EB $650+ cash for a week and a half without anything to see for it.

Considering that one of the 3.0 is for the majority certainly Zelda, and a high percentage of the second game Red Steel - which is the third most selling game for the Wii right now? Rayman Rabbid Rabbits? Closely followed by Supermonkey Ball, and then Trauma Center at the end (depending on the Atlus shipments?). What are people's impressions on what titles were the most popular?

splatty

LakeEarth

Busaiku said:
Also hoping that Trauma Center did well so we can see some more Atlus love (similar to the Nintendo DS).
I don't know if this is any indication, but Trama Center Wii is out of stock in all of the normal Canadian websites I buy games from (Bestbuy.ca, Futureshop.ca, etc)

LakeEarth said:
I don't know if this is any indication, but Trama Center Wii is out of stock in all of the normal Canadian websites I buy games from (Bestbuy.ca, Futureshop.ca, etc)

true...i can't find Trauma Center in my neck of the woods and they got a good amount at Target on launch day

ethelred

LakeEarth said:

I am really hoping Trauma Center sells well -- very well (I think it has the potential to be Atlus America's best selling game ever). It deserves it.

koam

Stopsign said:
No, I'm pretty sure I saw Madden Wii on the shelf of my local EB games on Sunday, and it was on sale. So I think it came out at launch. Just remember we are talking about rabid Nintendo fanboys here, ones that don't normally care about Madden. So I wouldn't expect it to sell amazingly well.

Yeah a friend of mine picked up madden but he didn't get a wii :lol. He got Madden last Thursday actually.

Dante

Actually the PS3 tie in is quite good, given the circumstances, and I couldn't be happier for Insomniac :)

PhatSaqs

Banned
Must've been a huge percentage of PS3s up on Ebay for that excuse to fly.

If I remember correctly something like 10% of launch 360s were sold on Ebay without damning the "attach rate".

Well my past remarks on this board have been validated by the 1.5 ratio. People who spend 3,000 on a PS3 have less money to spend on PS3 games than if they spent 600 on a PS3.

If you listen to that other analyst in another thread, you should be "alarmed" by the Wii's tie in ratio. Gamers buying lots of games is now a bad thing people! (sorry couldn't help but take a stab at an article that says a high tie in ratio is bad)

ethelred

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Well my past remarks on this board have been validated by the 1.5 ratio. People who spend 3,000 on a PS3 have less money to spend on PS3 games than if they spent 600 on a PS3.

Let's try this again:

h0l211 said:

h0l211 said:

h0l211 said:
they expect historical tie ratio norms to prevail once the consoles reach the hands of "true gamers.""

Isn't that what everyone's been saying in all the "Scalpers Are Lucifer's Nutsack" threads? That as soon as the people with enough crazy levels of disposable income to drop 3k on a PS3 actually get their PS3s, they'd buy the ****in' games to go with them?

Once more, with feeling:

h0l211 said:
they expect historical tie ratio norms to prevail once the consoles reach the hands of "true gamers.""

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
If most PS3 owners were smart the tie-in ratio for Resistance should be somewhere in the 90% range.

If most Wii owners were smart the tie-in ratio for Zelda should be somewhere in the 90% range.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
ethelred said:
Let's try this again:

Isn't that what everyone's been saying in all the "Scalpers Are Lucifer's Nutsack" threads? That as soon as the people with enough crazy levels of disposable income to drop 3k on a PS3 actually get their PS3s, they'd buy the ****in' games to go with them?

Once more, with feeling:

So, basically wait until March 2007's NPD numbers at the earliest.

Top Bottom