• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington Post: "Nintendo Upsets Sony on the Fun Factor"

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/22/AR2006112201857.html

In the Wii-PS3 Playoff, Nintendo Upsets Sony on the Fun Factor
By Mike Musgrove
Thursday, November 23, 2006; Page D01

There was a showdown between the Nintendo Wii and the Sony PlayStation 3 at The Post's game testing lab last weekend.

Here's how it went down: I invited a bunch of my friends, five guys and three gals, over to check out the new systems. Few of them play or care about video games, but they were all curious to see the PlayStation 3, the cutting-edge game console that sparked real-world mayhem on its release Friday.

By comparison, most of my friends arrived having heard little about Nintendo's new system. But, as it turned out, that device was the hit of the party.

Here's the deal with Nintendo's Wii system, in case you missed it. The system's controls contain motion-detecting technology. In some games, you don't have to punch any buttons to play. In a tennis game, for example, you swing the wireless controller like a racket. When you hit a ball in the game, the controller shudders as if you'd hit a real ball. The controllers also contain speakers that make a satisfying "thwok" whenever you connect.

It's the same for the bowling, baseball and boxing games designed for the system. Players in all those games use motions with their hands, arms and wrists that roughly replicate the movements you'd make in the real world.

The graphics on the Wii aren't the system's strong suit, however. One of my friends, who liked the system, summed up its games' looks as "cheesy."

Speaking of graphics, I gave the PS3 an unfair advantage in this department. You could have called it a fixed fight if my friends had fallen for the new PlayStation over the Wii because the $600 Sony system was running on a new $4,500, 50-inch plasma TV set from Pioneer, borrowed from the company just for this test. The $250 Nintendo, meanwhile, was running on an old tube set half the size of the plasma screen.

It was that tube set that got most of the traffic. While the people in my group preferred looking at the PS3's games, they preferred playing the Wii.

My friends played the Wii's sports games against each other all weekend, using goofy, cartoony avatars called "Miis" that they constructed to represent themselves in the game. Give a couple of newlyweds a pair of Wii controllers, pop in the boxing game and the entertainment value is priceless. We started out playing the game sitting down, but eventually we took to our feet to get a better range of motion with the controllers.

I have never seen a bunch of non-gamers get into this stuff like this, and I have never heard anybody laugh so much while playing any video game. A few of them now say they plan to buy the system for themselves.

My friend Andy has always seemed to dislike video games, but he was immediately taken by the Nintendo system in a way that I -- and he -- did not expect. "I'm surprised by how much I like it," he said. "The controller is so intuitive."

A few minutes later, he was cursing the PS3. Most of my friends who picked up the PS3's controller ended up frustrated. The typical game for the system requires players to have memorized where all the buttons are, and it's much harder to just pick up a controller and have a good time. Some of the verdicts they offered are unprintable.

My friend Jon, a technophile who likes racing games, reached first for the PS3 and wrestled with the menus and controls for the driving game Ridge Racer. Eventually, we played some races on the system and enjoyed some crisp and realistic-looking racetrack scenarios. But, for a while, he gave up on that and watched Andy and me fall over the furniture as we boxed each other on the Nintendo system. "I'm having more fun just watching you guys play that," he said.

Jon gave the PS3 a thumbs up in at least one area. He was eventually impressed with the quality of the Blu-ray movie format when we watched "Talladega Nights," the movie that Sony is including with the first shipments of the PS3.

Game developers say the PS3 is so powerful that they haven't exploited the system's full potential. I have no idea what the system is capable of, but I can testify that you have to be pretty sharp-eyed to tell much of a difference between the first batch of PS3 games and Xbox 360 versions of the same titles.

When it comes to accessing all of the multimedia features that Sony is promoting with its console . . . well, I still prefer the Xbox 360's approach.

With the Xbox 360, a Microsoft product, using the interface and getting online has been easy and almost as intuitive as using an iPod. Trying to get online with the PS3, on the other hand, was a vale of tears because I didn't have a USB-compatible keyboard to plug into the console, and using the game controller to enter my user information was a tedious process that I gave up on twice.

Imagine filling out a mortgage application on a cellphone. It's something like that.

So I headed out of town for Thanksgiving to spend some time with my girlfriend's family. Just to be safe, I locked away the expensive and hard-to-find PS3 in an undisclosed location, where it is being guarded by ninjas and feral dogs. The thing has some features I look forward to exploring some more, but that can wait.

The Wii, on the other hand, rode shotgun with me for some show-and-tell action because Nintendo got one feature right with the system on Day One:

It's just darn fun.

More negative press for Sony? More positive press for the Wii? Regardless, this demonstrates the way the mainstream press is judging both systems.

On a sidenote, I posted this because this is the sort of article that reaches mainstream consumers. My 60-year old father is interested in the "new Nintendo" due to this article and seeing the people playing golf in the commercials (a man whose extent of gaming is Civilization 1 and Railroad Tycoon on his 4 year old PC). So it seems like the Nintendo Wii is reaching the mainstream. We'll see if that can translate into sales anytime soon.

Its quite obvious that this was going to happen!

as I have always said PS4 will be a a mix of PS3 and Wii

Nintendo changes the buissnes once again!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
conspiracy, i imagine.
nintendo controlled media.
shadow government headed by iwata sitting on a fainting couch being fed grapes from above by perrin kaplan.
and all that.

Tieno

Yeah, I wonder how they would have reacted if they had gotten to play some deep and complex games on the Wii.

I'd really like to see them play COD3 on the Wii and COD3 on the PS3. PS2 had easy and simple games too, no reason PS3 won't have them either.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I still can't get over how many geeks told me "it wouldn't work... people won't go for that crap!!!"

Krowley

Tieno said:
Yeah, I wonder how they would have reacted if they had gotten to play some deep and complex games on the Wii.

I'd really like to see them play COD3 on the Wii and COD3 on the PS3. PS2 had easy and simple games too, no reason PS3 won't have them either.

Well it might not if all those kinds of games end up on the wii, which is possible. Especially if wii picks up a lot of the DS market in japan.

edit// actually i'm sure it will get at least a few, regardless, but it may not be a great platform for that kind of game.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Tieno said:

I imagine they wouldn't be cursing any more than they already were.

Luckett_X

Banned
The typical game for the system requires players to have memorized where all the buttons are

I know this reads like your atypical hyperbole anti-sony article, but seriously. Are we going to keep seeing this nonsense? Has the average human being become so dense they can't figure out a standard control pad, with no more buttons added than the wildly popular PS2?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
its the PSP vs DS all over again. Man if the Wii dominates this gen, I'm going to have a good time pulling out quotes frome archived gaf threads :lol

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Nintendo are getting a crazy amount of good press. I hope for their sake that they don't **** it up - they need to continue providing (and asking 3rd parties to provide) compelling and original software, as well as make sure their online approach doesn't become a mini-disaster. IGN were pretty damning of Nintendo's online world

Tieno said:

games designed for hardcore gamers?

Luckett_X said:
I know this reads like your atypical hyperbole anti-sony article, but seriously. Are we going to keep seeing this nonsense? Has the average human being become so dense they can't figure out a standard control pad, with no more buttons added than the wildly popular PS2?

the "wildly popular PS2" still failed to attract the vast majority of ex and non gamers out there, just like the "wildly popular GBA" still failed to attact the people now buying the DSL.

if you can't understand why it is that it IS difficult for people with little or no experience of traditional controllers to memorize which buttons do what, use them simultaneously (not to mention coordinating their fingers in unfamiliar ways), and employ control sticks as well...then it is you who is "dense" I'm afraid.

Anyone with any friends or family who didn't grow up playing games and following the evolution of controllers NES>SNES>PSX>PS2 is going to understand why it is that ex/non gamers can't instantly pick up a contemporary traditional controller and play games.

Luckett_X said:

They [American humans]....did elect Bush. :p

psy18

Luckett_X said:

I know someone who can't play NSMB. simply because he can't press the d-pad and buttons at the same time. (he's better now, after 1 week trying to pass world 1-2)

ivysaur12

Banned
Doc Holliday said:
its the PSP vs DS all over again. Man if the Wii dominates this gen, I'm going to have a good time pulling out quotes frome archived gaf threads :lol

It won't dominate, but I've got some choice quotes just incase ;)

AniHawk

JDSN said:
What a bunch of PR crap, I felt like I was reading a God mode comic.

If you were reading a God Mode comic, the pools of blood that would be dripping from your eyes would have prevented you from typing that response.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
AniHawk said:
The end times draw near.

:lol

my roomate has had alot of people over lately to try it out. i could consider them as loitering at this point seeing as theyve come back muliple times.

MMaRsu

Banned
movie-end-of-days.jpg

I dont get that all of a sudden after years and years of gaming with controlls with many buttons (dating back to the PSone days) now people are complaining that there are too many buttons.

Luckett_X said:

They can. What they can't do is be bothered to.

It's the same for every single form of mass entertainment media. The most popular stuff is the braindead one.

I dont get that all of a sudden after years and years of gaming with controlls with many buttons (dating back to the PSone days) now people are complaining that there are too many buttons.

Pst. These are nongamers. They haven't kept up with the evolving controller like us.

Krowley

mysticstylez said:

These are people that quit gaming long ago, or never got into games at all

AKA "the untapped market"

Some people just can't handle traditional controllers. It's like chewing bubble gum and walking at the same time... It's the same kind of people that have trouble operating their electronic equipment.

Nintendo is trying to garner the support of the non gamers while keeping their hardcore fanbase. that's why you have zelda + Wii sports as the two flagships, representing a dual strategy.

MrSardonic

JDSN said:
What a bunch of PR crap, I felt like I was reading a God mode comic.

and yet if it had been saying "wii feels more like a gimmick than a revolution" and "the ps3 has taken the gaming experience to a new level and provided a fantastic BR players at a lower price point than stand-alone players", I don't think you'd be saying "bunch of PR crap".

the reality is that almost every comment about the wii/ps3 in the mainstream press (and even dedicated gaming press) has said the same thing - non gaming friends are having fun with the system in a way that they haven't previously.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The typical game for the system requires players to have memorized where all the buttons are, and it's much harder to just pick up a controller and have a good time.
Oh boy...

It's as if nobody has considered the fact that, for seasoned gamers, this is not a bad thing. Memorize the buttons? Come on...

The Wii is fantastic for non-gamers, though, no doubt about it. I'm interested in trying it out on various people I know (those who don't game). I think they can enjoy it.

However, to speak as if more traditional games have no place, well, that's just ignorant.

MrSardonic

mysticstylez said:

people have always been complaining about that...just not (most of) the gamers themselves. gaming shouldn't require people to spend weeks of focused learning of the interface before they can squeeze some enjoyment out of it

Link

The Autumn Wind
clearacell said:
Reminds me of this
Unfortunately, this is pretty much the problem. There are plenty of people who either won't give the Wii a chance at all, or will try it already having made up their mind that they'll hate it.

The article assumes that everyone asked to try the Wii will go into it with an unbiased attitude.

Top Bottom