• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Carbon for PS3...what the f**k is this shit? JAGGIEZ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So I went out and bought NFS last night in hopes of playing a somewhat realistic racer on the PS3 (RR7 rox tho!). While I wait on a new HDTV, I'm playing my PS3 on an old 20'' Sony Trinitron. Resistence, FF7, Genji, NBA 07 and etc. have all looked absolutely awesome on this abysmally dated TV. So when I popped in NFS Carbon, I had no idea it would look this abysmally f*cking bad. There are more jaggies than the entire PS2 launch lineup...put together. Yes, it's that horrendous, and now I'm not over-exaggerating one bit.

I thought I activated something I shouldn't have, but there are no visual options to cure this issue. There goes $60 I won't be able to put to use until a proper TV arrives at my door step. Seriously, though...pop in Carbon and play it on a standard TV for a good laugh. It is easily the ugliest thing on the PS3.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
This was mentioned in someone's preview at one of the showings just before launch.

Stick to the 360 version.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I don't really get it. A 720p game should have the same jaggies on both platforms providing none of them use FSAA. WTF?

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
RavenFox said:
How's the 360 version on SD?
It runs well. I did get a couple of slowdowns in some parts but maybe like...4 times during 10 hours of gameplay time.

AlphaSnake

It's like every jaggy from every PS2 game crammed into one! MAKE IT STOP!

='(

Luckyman

Banned
Funky Papa said:
I don't really get it. A 720p game should have the same jaggies on both platforms providing none of them use FSAA. WTF?

Why would they not use FSAA?

Carbon looks like a last-gen game on current-gen hardware. Really ugly.

Dante

Like all the third party PS3 stuff this year ( sans Fight Night R3 ), it's a quick port to make some cash for the holidays.

Luckyman said:
There are many ways to do HDR. We already have seen AA + HDR games on PS3.

I think you have seen the fake out method like Heavenly Sword uses. That method makes the shaders more expensive to render.

Argyle

Warm Machine said:
I think you have seen the fake out method like Heavenly Sword uses. That method makes the shaders more expensive to render.

Heavenly Sword's method is just as fake as the 360's method for doing MSAA + HDR.

I expect EA, UBI and Activision to treat the PS3 like a turd from now on.

they develop their games for 360 1st and port it to PS3. Due to tight scheduales and crap.. their PS3 ports might come not too shabby.

DarienA

Kabuki Waq said:
he has a point tho.

No he does not have a point, and I'm sure if you guys really want to you can find somewhere else to continue your "all EA products are shitty" wankfest. They do not make the premiere title in every genre they participate in, but its a long f'n stretch to go from that to all Ea products suck.

ram

AlphaSnake said:
So I went out and bought NFS last night in hopes of playing a somewhat realistic racer on the PS3 (RR7 rox tho!). While I wait on a new HDTV, I'm playing my PS3 on an old 20'' Sony Trinitron. Resistence, FF7, Genji, NBA 07 and etc. have all looked absolutely awesome on this abysmally dated TV. So when I popped in NFS Carbon, I had no idea it would look this abysmally f*cking bad. There are more jaggies than the entire PS2 launch lineup...put together. Yes, it's that horrendous, and now I'm not over-exaggerating one bit.

I thought I activated something I shouldn't have, but there are no visual options to cure this issue. There goes $60 I won't be able to put to use until a proper TV arrives at my door step. Seriously, though...pop in Carbon and play it on a standard TV for a good laugh. It is easily the ugliest thing on the PS3.

next gen games arent supposed to play on SD TV - stick with it.

and btw. the thread title is misleading. this issue is only on SD TV.

Bezz

Banned
DarienA said:
No he does not have a point, and I'm sure if you guys really want to you can find somewhere else to continue your "all EA products are shitty" wankfest. They do not make the premiere title in every genre they participate in, but its a long f'n stretch to go from that to all Ea products suck.

Why dont you go back and play with your half made Madden?

I have a point, the point is EA sucks. I stopped giving my money to them a long f'ing time ago.

Pimpbaa

Luckyman said:

If the RSX is based on the Geforce 7 series, then he is right. It cannot do AA and FP16 HDR at the same time. Of course, FP16 HDR isn't the only way to do it (as Valve has shown). If Carbon uses FP16 HDR, then that's why the ps3 has no AA (and EA didn't want to waste time doing it with other methods). I'm wondering if Oblivion for PS3 will have HDR and AA at the same time as well, because it too uses FP16 HDR.

DarienA

Bezz said:
Why dont you go back and play with your half made Madden?

I have a point, the point is EA sucks. I stopped giving my money to them a long f'ing time ago.

Good attention to detail there Bezz.. cause you know I play Madden online all the time....

Loser.

There's nothing wrong with the 360 version of Carbon. That's not to say that Carbon will appeal to everyone because it won't. I've commented before that I think it's a step sideways and slightly back from Most Wanted.

However that doesn't make the races less enjoyable to those who get in to the arcade style of racing.

The PS3 version as it was demo'd at the Playstation 3 launch events was written up by folks who went to those events as a quick port job. It's more jaggie than the 360 version and has a worse framerate.

The 360 version has the occasionally to rare framerate hitch, and looks alot smoother.

Wank away.

RavenFox

Banned
Warm Machine said:
lol you really neeed to stop with that comment. This was already discussed in detail on B3D and its not fake. Also try running HDR and FSAA on an ATI card and see how much it can push at high res. It doesnt mean because it can do it everything is right in the world. Does it bother you that NaO was able to do this and its better than the current way everyone is doing it?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
PS3 can use FP16 + MSAA using format color space conversion as evidenced in HS, and that method is IMO less 'fake' than FP10 used on almost every X360 game that has HDR.

That said, I have no idea if NFS:C uses HDR but it didn't seem like it when I was playing it on X360. They use some kind of HDR in FN3, but on PS3 that game seems to be antialiased too, so I guess doing that kind of stuff is not strange to them on PS3.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Why the hell are jaggies such a problem for Sony? it is like they never discovered the wonders of anti-aliasing or something.

Pimpbaa

Marconelly said:
PS3 can use FP16 + MSAA using format color space conversion as evidenced in HS, and that method is IMO less 'fake' than FP10 used on almost every X360 game that has HDR.

That said, I have no idea if NFS:C uses HDR but it didn't seem like it when I was playing it on X360. They use some kind of HDR in FN3, but on PS3 that game seems to be antialiased too, so I guess doing that kind of stuff is not strange to them on PS3.

It's not fake, it's just doing it a different way than the industry norm. They have to do it differently due to the restrictions of the geforce 7 class GPU in the ps3. Radeon hardware on the pc and the 360 can implement it with no such restrictions (other than performance issues).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
RaijinFY said:
Obviously you didnt see all PS3 games...

Well, I am speaking in general terms, but it seems for 3 generations now jaggies plauge Sony systems more then on other systems.

kevm3

Shard said:
Why the hell are jaggies such a problem for Sony? it is like they never discovered the wonders of anti-aliasing or something.

There are many 360 games with jaggies as well, so it's more to do with developers than hardware unlike last gen.

Lorul2

kevm3 said:
There are many 360 games with jaggies as well, so it's more to do with developers than hardware unlike last gen.

just curious... which 360 games are full of jaggies?? I haven't played one yet..

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
AlphaSnake said:
So I went out and bought NFS last night

Well, that was stupid! ;)

But seriously: unfortunately for you, you can't really play 360 or PS3 on an SDTV and expect good results. :/

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
LJ11 said:
Some people bitched about PGR3, but I never saw any jaggies on my TV.

I did, but nothing extreme. When walking around in the garage I see jaggies along the edges of the cars and the wall surrounding the garage.

Marconelly said:
I'm not saying it doesn't look fantastic, but it's pretty obvious the game has no AA, which is what he asked.

No I mean I think the edge smoothing looking fantastic, some of the best I've seen in a 360 game.

Tellaerin

ram said:
next gen games arent supposed to play on SD TV - stick with it.

If PS3 and X360 boxes were labelled 'HDTV only - this product is not compatible with SD televisions', you might have a point. But since they're not, developers still have a responsibility to accomodate gamers with standard-definition sets. That means readable fonts for SD displays (I'm looking at you, Capcom) and no ultra-jaggy images at SD resolutions. Don't make excuses for developer laziness.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Shaved Moustache said:
No I mean I think the edge smoothing looking fantastic, some of the best I've seen in a 360 game.
I'm not sure what you are referring to, but I've seen many X360 games that are AA-ed better. Having no AA is not a big deal on smaller screens, but I could pretty clearly see the aliasing on 50" screen. On the other hand, the game seems to have aniso filtering, which is more important IMO.

Marconelly said:
I'm not saying it doesn't look fantastic, but it's pretty obvious the game has no AA, which is what he asked.

Um, there's virtually no jaggies in GOW, I think you may need collaborate your set man.It looks very clean.I posted some images on another gaming forum just to show how well it looks.
dsc0004752x500md8.jpg

AlphaSnake

Bud said:
This sentence doesn't make much sense.

Sure it does. Ridge Racer is the other racing game out for the PS3. So...one game is based on totally fake vehicles and insanely ridiculous driving mechanics. The other is based on real vehicles with slightly exaggerated physics, albeit still demonstrating each car's proper strengths, exhaust notes, acceleration, and a few other things. It doesn't go out of its way to calculate physics, but it sure as hell ain't no RR7. Hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom