• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US Military's TALOS Suit Is nothing like Iron-man, Coming in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

talos.jpg

U.S. Special Operations Command is making progress researching, developing and testing a next-generation Iron Man-like suit designed to increase strength and protection and help keep valuable operators alive when they kick down doors and engage in combat, officials said.

The project, formally called Tactical Light Operator Suit, or TALOS, is aimed at providing special operators, such as Navy SEALs and Special Forces, with enhanced mobility and protection technologies, a Special Operations Command, or SOCOM, statement said.

"The ultimate purpose of the TALOS project is to produce a prototype in 2018. That prototype will then be evaluated for operational impact,” Lt. Cmdr. Matt Allen, SOCOM spokesman, told Scout Warrior.

Industry teams have been making steady progress on the technologies since the effort was expanded in 2013 by Adm. William McCraven, former head of SOCOM.

“I’m very committed to this because I would like that last operator we lost to be the last operator we ever lose,” McCraven said in 2013.

Defense industry, academic and entrepreneurial participants are currently progressing with the multi-faceted effort.

The technologies currently being developed include body suit-type exoskeletons, strength and power-increasing systems and additional protection. A SOCOM statement said some of the potential technologies planned for TALOS research and development include advanced armor, command and control computers, power generators, and enhanced mobility exoskeletons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28owOOPt1Gs

http://www.scout.com/military/warrior/story/1673802-us-special-ops-advances-future-iron-man-suit

All of the power armor stuff is unpredictably far off from actually seeing a battlefield. When these stories are talked about, it's to spur funding and recruitment, so don't expect Master Chief to smite the wicked any time in the next decade.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Video was pretty cool. I'm really just looking for a list of features that this thing has. Can't find one.

Video was pretty cool. I'm really just looking for a list of features that this thing has. Can't find one.
Based on development of USSOCOM’s TALOS program, the Kinetic Operations Suit from Revision Military incorporates a variety of technologies.

Most obvious is the distinctive Armageddon camouflage pattern. The operator wears the Prowler exoskeleton powered by Revision Sharepack. The exoskeleton bears the weight of the system as well as ancillary mission equipment. And can be up armored with XSAPI level plates as well as frag protection on the lower leg. Up top is the Vertical Load Offset System which equates to zero helmet weight born by the operator’s neck. The ballistic helmet is 100% polyethylene with cutout for use with augmented vision systems. The ensemble also includes a scalable armor vest that goes from 18% vital area chest coverage all the way up to 60%.
http://soldiersystems.net/2015/05/19/sofic-2015-revisions-kinetic-operations-suit/
I suspect the helmet on the prototype they're showing off is actually just a motorcycle helmet with a cutout for the panoramic night vision goggles. I think the thing that helps keep the helmet's weight off of the neck is neat, although I wonder how much it affects the head's range of motion.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Power density is always going to be the problem. Until you solve that, its always going to be impractical

There's a reason literally the first piece of the Iron Man suit he invents is a magic battery

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
That's pretty cool.

I think one big issue with these things is that if you happen to lose a guy in this suit, that suit will be super valuable to enemies because of reverse engineering.

Malyse

That's pretty cool.

I think one big issue with these things is that if you happen to lose a guy in this suit, that suit will be super valuable to enemies because of reverse engineering.

Not if they, let's say, put in a EMP that would fry the suit if the operator was killed.

So who's going to be the first in the field. Private Heimskr? He'll be singing it's praises.

"Talos the mighty! Talos the unerring! Talos the unassailable!"

Looks like when low budget movies use bicycle gear as "tactical armor"

or mumen rider.

I kind of dig the look. Would be awesome if we got an exo-suit that looks like this

I mean sure, but Armored Core's are mechs not exo-suits. Things are like 30+ feet tall (10 or so meters I think). But yeah that would be awesome lol.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Queue up a decade or two plus of constant setbacks and development issues, complaints of technical and mechanical malfunctions in the field with a price tag of hundreds of billions for something most soldiers will probably wish they didn't have to use once they finally get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom