• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sony Sixaxis Spazzing Survey (For All PS3 Owners)

Mmmkay

Quote my post and fill in the blanks. Please try to answer as many of the questions as you can. This a survey for all PS3 owners, so if you're not having problems please still fill it in.

A 'spaz' is defined as a mid game/XMB operation where the controller becomes unresponsive for a short period of time, sticking to a button press or direction. The controller does not notify that it has disconnected and resumes normal operation.

If you do not suffer from any spazzes, please fill in the survey only up to question 8. It will help to eliminate possible causes for spazzing.

About your PS3
1) Do you suffer from Sixaxis spazzing?
2) Which PS3 model do you own?
2i) If 60GB, do you actively use the wifi interface?
3) How long have you owned/used your PS3?

About your environment
4) Do you have other active Bluetooth devices in your house?
5) Do you have an 802.11b/g wireless network?
5i) If yes, please indicate the channel of operation.
6) Do you own a Nintendo Wii and experience the same issues?
6i) If yes, are the issue less or more prevalent?
7) Where do you live? In a 2.4GHz polluted environment (Apartment complex, dorm, etc)?
8) How far away do you sit from your PS3?

About your spazzing
9) Do they occur every gaming session?
10) Do you notice them with every game?
11) What is the typical duration of your spaz?
12) Do you notice any other controller performance issues other than the spaz?
13) How many spazzes would you estimate you've had?
14) Do you find the spazzes occuring irrespective of how charged your Sixaxis is?

About your solutions
15) If you have discovered a way to reduce your spazzing, please describe your actions.

Update 1
Thanks to everyone who responded. Here are the results from the first 19 people to fill in the survey:
- 32% of respondents did not suffer any spazzing
-- Of those, all used Wi-Fi in their home (83% were using built in Wi-Fi)
-- 50% Of those who did not suffer spazzing would be considered to be living in a 2.4GHz polluted area
-- 83% use Bluetooth in their home for other applications

- 68% of respondents suffered from spazzing
-- There is no obvious correlation between spazzing an model, or Wi-Fi usage.
-- All spazzes were categorised as having a duration less than 5 seconds.
-- The mean number of spazzes was around 8, the mode being between 1 and 4.
-- No correlation exists between Wi-Fi channel and spaz quota, nor battery charge.
-- People don't play enough, or own enough games to conclude whether this occurs irrespective of game played.
-- It does not occur every gaming session, but indications are that given a long enough session, a spaz will occur.
-- Several respondents did not use Wi-Fi or Bluetooth at all in their home and still suffered from spazzes.

- People owning Wiis and also suffering from spazzes did not notice any irregular behaviour in their Wiis.
- Jonnyram is going to be blind by the end of the year.

Notes:
Obviously the sample size is way to small to draw any conclusions yet, but it certainly looks like wireless interference shouldn't be the culprit. Unless Sony has made their controller extremely sensitive to interference that is. Given how seemingly indiscriminate it is, and how it does not happen consistently or particularly often I'm inclined to believe it to be a hardware defect either with the controller or PS3 unit. I realise now that it would have been a good idea to ask if people who are suffering from spazzes find it occurring with all of the controllers they own if they own more than one.

It's way too early to tell what's going on conclusively, since not enough people are playing games or working with multiple controllers to determine these things. People who have developed solutions, may be simply sat in the dwell time between spazzes, or they may have resolved a hardware conflict.

Given how infrequently it's happening, it could be the kind of 'low risk' problem that a big corporation deemed too expensive to fix, without considering the non business (i.e. real world gaming) impact. I'm really hoping that if it is a hardware issue, be it defect based or software configuration based, that it lies with the controller.

Non survey theories:
Bluetooth uses Adaptive Frequency Hopping, where it can determine whether a channel is 'good', 'bad', or 'unknown'. It could be possible that some kind of glitch is poisoning the table which holds these values and that over time it becomes untenable to jump to a new frequency (I think there needs to be at least 20 channels available to operate normally).

Bluetooth masters keep a clock which the connection between PS3 and Sixaxis must operate to. This has deviation tolerances, but over time it may possibly break down.

Nikashi

Banned
Without knowing what this means, it sounds like the Six-axis causes the user to experience temporary seizures or something :D

Rhindle

What does spazzing mean?

If it means having to resync the controller every time I turn it on or change games, then yes mine is a spaz.

arnoldschwarzenegger_totalrecall.png

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Mmmkay said:
About your PS3
yes
60gb
no

About your environment
no
yes
got a wii here, no issues
7) Where do you live? In a 2.4GHz polluted environment (Apartment complex, dorm, etc)?
house. got wireless phones, neighbors with wireless routers
7-9 feet

About your spazzing
no
well i only have resistance and it occurs during resistance
2-3 seconds
no
4-5
14) Do you find the spazzes occuring irrespective of how charged your Sixaxis is?
yes

About your solutions
15) If you have discovered a way to reduce your spazzing, please describe your actions.
BUY A WII

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Mmmkay said:
About your PS3
1) Do you suffer from Sixaxis spazzing? No.
2) Which PS3 model do you own? 60 gb.
2i) If 60GB, do you actively use the wifi interface? No.
3) How long have you owned/used your PS3? Since launch day on November 17.

About your environment
4) Do you have other active Bluetooth devices in your house? A headset.
5) Do you have an 802.11b/g wireless network? Yes.
5i) If yes, please indicate the channel of operation. 11.
6) Do you own a Nintendo Wii and experience the same issues? Yes to a Wii, no to Wii issues.
6i) If yes, are the issue less or more prevalent? If they were happening, the nature of the Wii itself would make them less reliably detectable.
7) Where do you live? In a 2.4GHz polluted environment (Apartment complex, dorm, etc)? I live in a dorm where wireless is not allowed (shhh...)
8) How far away do you sit from your PS3? Less than 10 feet.

About your spazzing
9) Do they occur every gaming session? No.
10) Do you notice them with every game? No.
11) What is the typical duration of your spaz? 0 seconds.
12) Do you notice any other controller performance issues other than the spaz? I love my sixaxis. :D
13) How many spazzes would you estimate you've had? 1 when I first got the PS3 and not since then. I guess I have experienced it then, but not really.
14) Do you find the spazzes occuring irrespective of how charged your Sixaxis is? Haven't had the spazzing really.

About your solutions
I did change my wireless frequency after I had the one spaz.

Mmmkay said:
About your PS3
1) Do you suffer from Sixaxis spazzing? Yes
2) Which PS3 model do you own? 60GB
2i) If 60GB, do you actively use the wifi interface? No
3) How long have you owned/used your PS3? Since several days before US launch

About your environment
4) Do you have other active Bluetooth devices in your house? No
5) Do you have an 802.11b/g wireless network? Yes
5i) If yes, please indicate the channel of operation. Can't check right now, out of town
6) Do you own a Nintendo Wii and experience the same issues? Yes/no
7) Where do you live? In a 2.4GHz polluted environment (Apartment complex, dorm, etc)? Apartment building
8) How far away do you sit from your PS3? About six feet

About your spazzing
9) Do they occur every gaming session? No
10) Do you notice them with every game? No
11) What is the typical duration of your spaz? Several seconds
12) Do you notice any other controller performance issues other than the spaz? Not that I'm aware of
13) How many spazzes would you estimate you've had? Quite a few, particularly during Ridge Racer (which may have to do with that being the only game in which I have used a lot of motion control)
14) Do you find the spazzes occuring irrespective of how charged your Sixaxis is? Yes

About your solutions

Mmmkay said:
About your PS3
1) Do you suffer from Sixaxis spazzing? Not yet
2) Which PS3 model do you own? 60gb
2i) If 60GB, do you actively use the wifi interface? Yes but only for PSP usage
3) How long have you owned/used your PS3? About a week.

About your environment
4) Do you have other active Bluetooth devices in your house? Celphone and Laptop add ons.
5i) If yes, please indicate the channel of operation. Channel 6
6) Do you own a Nintendo Wii and experience the same issues? Do not have one yet
6i) If yes, are the issue less or more prevalent? N/A
7) Where do you live? In a 2.4GHz polluted environment (Apartment complex, dorm, etc)? Apartment
8) How far away do you sit from your PS3? about 8'

About your spazzing
9) Do they occur every gaming session? NA
10) Do you notice them with every game? NA
11) What is the typical duration of your spaz? NA
12) Do you notice any other controller performance issues other than the spaz? NA
13) How many spazzes would you estimate you've had? NA
14) Do you find the spazzes occuring irrespective of how charged your Sixaxis is? NA

About your solutions

Only time it happened once was when I plugged in a Saitek Gaming Keyboard , as soon as I unhooked it everything went back to normal.
Works fine with my logitech keyboard.

Mmmkay

Rhindle said:
What does spazzing mean?

If it means having to resync the controller every time I turn it on or change games, then yes mine is a spaz.
No that's not a spaz. We're talking about mid game/XMB operation where the controller becomes unresponsive for a short period of time, sticking to a button press or direction. The controller does not notify that it has disconnected.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Mmmkay said:
About your PS3
1) Do you suffer from Sixaxis spazzing? yes
2) Which PS3 model do you own? 60gb
2i) If 60GB, do you actively use the wifi interface? yes
3) How long have you owned/used your PS3? since launch

About your environment
4) Do you have other active Bluetooth devices in your house? no
5) Do you have an 802.11b/g wireless network? yes
5i) If yes, please indicate the channel of operation. 11
6) Do you own a Nintendo Wii and experience the same issues? don't own a wii
6i) If yes, are the issue less or more prevalent? n/a
7) Where do you live? In a 2.4GHz polluted environment (Apartment complex, dorm, etc)? i get faint signals from a couple other networks
8) How far away do you sit from your PS3? ~5 feet

About your spazzing
9) Do they occur every gaming session? no
10) Do you notice them with every game? just about
11) What is the typical duration of your spaz? a couple seconds
12) Do you notice any other controller performance issues other than the spaz? no
13) How many spazzes would you estimate you've had? three or four during one resistance session, and three or four others since i've owned the console
14) Do you find the spazzes occuring irrespective of how charged your Sixaxis is? i charged my sixaxis after that one particularly spazzy session, and i've been experiencing the problem with far less frequency, though it might be coincidental

About your solutions
15) If you have discovered a way to reduce your spazzing, please describe your actions. i had a wireless bridge and a cordless phone sitting right next to my ps3, and since i moved them yesterday, i haven't had any spazzing incidents -- though i haven't really played that much since.

hi

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Dahbomb said:
At least they are inquiring about it and are aware of the problem. Hope they can fix it soon enough.

Is this survey from Sony or did somebody else put it together?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Mmmkay said:
No. I'd still like you to answer the first 8 questions, if that's okay?
no problem. :)
Mmmkay said:
About your PS3
1) Do you suffer from Sixaxis spazzing? no
2) Which PS3 model do you own? 60GB
2i) If 60GB, do you actively use the wifi interface? yes
3) How long have you owned/used your PS3? since NA launch, 11/17/06

About your environment
4) Do you have other active Bluetooth devices in your house? yes, PDA's, phones, headsets, etc.
5) Do you have an 802.11b/g wireless network? yes
5i) If yes, please indicate the channel of operation. 6
6) Do you own a Nintendo Wii and experience the same issues? no
6i) If yes, are the issue less or more prevalent? n/a
7) Where do you live? In a 2.4GHz polluted environment (Apartment complex, dorm, etc)? in a house
8) How far away do you sit from your PS3? about 8 feet

Y2Kev

DarienA said:

Pretty sure this is just mmmkay doing his thing.

Maybe we could send our findings to phil harrison and then pester him about mhotastorm.

Wario64 said:
Is it worth mentioning that I've had "spazzes" with my Gamecube Wavebird controller?

I think so. Addresses interference.

Mmmkay, is there anyway the 1.2 update could potentially fix this? Let's say it WERE a software issue, could the download fix it? Maybe Sony won't say shit, patch it, and hope nobody noticed.

Mmmkay

Y2Kevbug11 said:
6i) If yes, are the issue less or more prevalent? If they were happening, the nature of the Wii itself would make them less reliably detectable.
Not true. The Wiimote only communicates back to the Wii via Bluetooth and as such should be just as susceptible to spazzing. The sensor bar is an emitter not a receiver.

Wario64: No, that operates at 900MHz and with a different technology.
DarienA: I put this survey together, Dahbomb is delirious.

Bad Boy you need to answer honestly or there is no point to this thread. Or maybe that is the point. :lol

Hmm, what is that online petition website? :lol

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Wario64 said:
Is it worth mentioning that I've had "spazzes" with my Gamecube Wavebird controller?

No, its a nintendo product, therefor it is impossible :)

Seriously though, i've had no issues yet, but my house has no bluetooth. I'll do a complete post later once I get Marvel Ultimate Alliance from gamefly

Fowler

Mmmkay said:
About your PS3

Yes.

60GB.

Yes.

JP launch.

About your environment

Yes. Nokia mobile phone, Power Mac G5, Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse and Wireless Keyboard, and... Nintendo Wii!

Yes.

Didn't specify one. So er... no idea.

Yes to Wii. No to same issues.

Live in a standalone house, big enough and secluded enough that no outside networks come in. But the house is blanketed by Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and 2.4GHz cordless phones.

Two metres at best.

About your spazzing

No. I haven't used my PS3 much (not more than five hours) and it's only happened twice.

No, only in Resistance, though I've only ever played half an hour of Ridge Racer 7.

5 seconds.

No.

SIXAXIS is always fully charged... I think.

About your solutions

No.

WORTH ADDING: Despite the wireless pollution, I have not had problems with WaveBirds, Wiimotes, 360 controllers or any other wireless devices. The ONE problem I have is very sporadic Bluetooth niggles with my Apple Wireless Keyboard. Every so often (few weeks to a month?) it'll keep sending one key and only one key for about 5 seconds, then stop and go back to normal.

Y2Kev

Mmmkay said:
Not true. The Wiimote only communicates back to the Wii via Bluetooth and as such should be just as susceptible to spazzing. The sensor bar is an emitter not a receiver.

I'm essentially arguing that...let's say I was playing Red Steel. If, all of a sudden, I lost my cursor or it went crazy, I'd go, "Damn, I lost the sensor bar," since that happens frequently. I think that is more likely to happen than, "Damn, bluetooth errors!"

I'm not saying it is physically less detectable, you're just less likely to notice it.

Jonnyram

About your PS3
Yes
20GB
-
2006/11/11 - used a lot for the first few days, not so much after that

About your environment
No
No
-
No/-
-
No, in a detached house.
<1m

About your spazzing
Yes
Only Ridge Racer 7, not Blast Factor so far, but play has been limited with the latter.
~3 sec.
No
6-7
Yes

About your solutions
Not found anything.

Raistlin

About your PS3

I think it has happened 2 or 3 times maybe

not currently

launch day (11/17)

About your environment

no

11b, but I currently have it off

n/a

n/a (no Wii yet)

n/a

Apartment complex ... so it is possibly 'polluted'

around 8'

About your spazzing
not to my knowledge

I've seen it once or twice with RR7 and Resistance.

Haven't seen it during any of the demos, nor in Blast Factor.

1-2 seconds I'd guess

Not really. I keep accidentally zooming in Resistance, but I don't think my R3 is any easier to press than most controller ... I think I just suck. I'm getting a 2nd controller tomorrow, so I'll verify that.

2-3 ... i think?

possible - I'm not really sure since it has only happened a couple of times.

About your solutions

It hasn't happened enough for me to really verify anything.

Mmmkay

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I'm essentially arguing that...let's say I was playing Red Steel. If, all of a sudden, I lost my cursor or it went crazy, I'd go, "Damn, I lost the sensor bar," since that happens frequently. I think that is more likely to happen than, "Damn, bluetooth errors!"

I'm not saying it is physically less detectable, you're just less likely to notice it.
Righto, well that does indeed muddy the issue.

Pimpwerx

DarienA said:
I think it's just Mmmkay's survey. We talked about collecting data like this in the other thread. He actually went ahead and did it. Good job with the questioning too, I hadn't considered wifi channel as a potential suspect. This is just to see if it's Bluetooth or not. If it's the hardware, then at least there's a chance of a fix. PEACE.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Mmmkay said:
About your PS3
Yes
60GB
Yes
Since Launch

About your environment
No
Yes
Linksys WRT54G wireless router with custom firmware - Firmware Version: v4.71.1, Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c Channel 11 - 2.426 B+G
I dont own a Wii
I dont own a Wii
Own a home
Approx 8-10 feet

About your spazzing
No
So far with Resistance and the PS Online Store
4-8 seconds?
No
4-6
Yes

About your solutions
No

10charslololol

Flynn

Here's my meager contribution.

Mmmkay said:
About your PS3
Yes
60gm
No.
Since launch.

About your environment
Wii
Yes
Dunno
No
N/A
Apartment
4-5ft

About your spazzing
No
No
2-4 seconds
No
2-3
I usually keep it fully charged.

About your solutions
Nope.

rafman400

About your PS3
1) Do you suffer from Sixaxis spazzing?sometimes
2) Which PS3 model do you own?60
2i) If 60GB, do you actively use the wifi interface?yes
3) How long have you owned/used your PS3?since it launches

About your environment
4) Do you have other active Bluetooth devices in your house?no
5) Do you have an 802.11b/g wireless network?yes
5i) If yes, please indicate the channel of operation.11
6) Do you own a Nintendo Wii and experience the same issues?Never
6i) If yes, are the issue less or more prevalent?-
7) Where do you live? In a 2.4GHz polluted environment (Apartment complex, dorm, etc)? house
8) How far away do you sit from your PS3?2 or 3 feet

About your spazzing
9) Do they occur every gaming session?no
10) Do you notice them with every game?only played 1 game
11) What is the typical duration of your spaz?3-5 seconds
12) Do you notice any other controller performance issues other than the spaz?no
13) How many spazzes would you estimate you've had?2 or 3
14) Do you find the spazzes occuring irrespective of how charged your Sixaxis is?maybe

About your solutions
15) If you have discovered a way to reduce your spazzing, please describe your actions.-
-

Y2Kev

Seems like the answer is yes, a majority of people are experiencing the issues, and a lot have Wiis as well that aren't.

Sony's implementation? Hmmm!

kenta said:
Anyone noticing a trend? Seems pretty inconsistent to me

Yeah. Doesn't seem like wifi is the issue since I haven't experienced SixAxis issues on channel 11 while a lot of people have. Doesn't seem to be bluetooth in general because a lot of people have wiis. Nobody else has experienced any issue with the controller, so it probably isn't some deficiency of the controller other than the wireless board, and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the controller's charge.

...oh god. It's the bluetooth boards inside the PS3, isn't it. oh god oh god oh god

kiUNiT

Jonnyram said:
About your PS3
Yes
20GB
-
2006/11/11 - used a lot for the first few days, not so much after that

About your environment
No
No
-
6)Do you own a Nintendo Wii and experience the same issues?
No/
-
No, in a detached house.
<1m

About your spazzing
Yes
Only Ridge Racer 7, not Blast Factor so far, but play has been limited with the latter.
~3 sec.
No
6-7
Yes

About your solutions
Not found anything.

Why Borat why?:lol

Pimpwerx

Would it be possible for people to edit in the names of the games they noticed spazzing in? I think I've only read Resistance and RR7 as problems so far. It's gonna be biased to the more popular titles, but it might be interesting to note anyway.

The symptoms of the spazzing are a bit odd. I'd like to know how close some of these devices are to the PS3 as well. Oh yeah, johnnyram is a freak. :p PEACE.

EDIT: Software shouldn't be a problem, but it's just something to look at.

Mmmkay said:
About your PS3
Once
60GB
No
Since launch

About your environment
No
Yes
No
N/A
House
6-8 feet

About your spazzing
No
Only own one. :-/
<2 seconds
No
One
Fully charged

About your solutions

Played Gears of War.

Triz

About your PS3
1) Do you suffer from Sixaxis spazzing?yes
2) Which PS3 model do you own?20gb
3) How long have you owned/used your PS3?since launch/once a day

About your environment
4) Do you have other active Bluetooth devices in your house?no
5) Do you have an 802.11b/g wireless network?yes
5i) If yes, please indicate the channel of operation.g
6) Do you own a Nintendo Wii and experience the same issues?yes and no issues
7) Where do you live? In a 2.4GHz polluted environment (Apartment complex, dorm, etc)?apt.
8) How far away do you sit from your PS3?7 feet

About your spazzing
9) Do they occur every gaming session?no
10) Do you notice them with every game?yes only have resistance
11) What is the typical duration of your spaz?3 seconds
12) Do you notice any other controller performance issues other than the spaz?no
13) How many spazzes would you estimate you've had?4
14) Do you find the spazzes occuring irrespective of how charged your Sixaxis is?no

About your solutions

J-Rzez

Quickie:

1. No
2. 60GB
2i. Used Both, wired now for other reasons
3. Nov 17th/daily
4. Yes
5. No
6. No
7. Yes
8. 6-8'

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
1) Do you suffer from Sixaxis spazzing? Yes.
2) Which PS3 model do you own? Umm.... the blue one.
2i) If 60GB, do you actively use the wifi interface? Sure.
3) How long have you owned/used your PS3? Not much (collecting dust).

About your environment
4) Do you have other active Bluetooth devices in your house? Yes. (Nintendo Wii)
5) Do you have an 802.11b/g wireless network? No.
5i) If yes, please indicate the channel of operation. No.
6) Do you own a Nintendo Wii and experience the same issues? Yes. No issues. Works perfectly.
6i) If yes, are the issue less or more prevalent? Perfect!
7) Where do you live? In a 2.4GHz polluted environment (Apartment complex, dorm, etc)? I live far away from interferance. (I'm a recluse)
8) How far away do you sit from your PS3? 3 feet.

About your spazzing
9) Do they occur every gaming session? Yes.
10) Do you notice them with every game? Yes.
11) What is the typical duration of your spaz? 45 mintues.
12) Do you notice any other controller performance issues other than the spaz? Yes. The sixaxis gives me a rash.
13) How many spazzes would you estimate you've had? 172.
14) Do you find the spazzes occuring irrespective of how charged your Sixaxis is? I don't understand the question.

About your solutions
15) If you have discovered a way to reduce your spazzing, please describe your actions. Yes! Set your oven to "clean", leave the sixaxis in the oven overnight. (It discahrges the static electricity.)

Y2Kev

Looks like we need to add a corollary. If you don't own a PS3, then can you not reply?

great

bonesquad

Mmmkay said:
About your PS3
1) Do you suffer from Sixaxis spazzing? Not yet... ((knocks on wood))
2) Which PS3 model do you own? 60gig
2i) If 60GB, do you actively use the wifi interface? Yes
3) How long have you owned/used your PS3? 11/22

About your environment
5i) If yes, please indicate the channel of operation. 1
6) Do you own a Nintendo Wii and experience the same issues? Yes but also no problems
6i) If yes, are the issue less or more prevalent? --
7) Where do you live? In a 2.4GHz polluted environment (Apartment complex, dorm, etc)? Apartment (with 2-3 other WiFi access points I can see)
8) How far away do you sit from your PS3? ~6 feet

About your spazzing

About your solutions

Added for length.

Mmmkay said:
About your PS3
Yes
20 GB
N/A
11-17-06

About your environment
Cellphone and headset
Yes
No
No
Apartment complex
10-15 feet

About your spazzing
Yes
Yes
3-5 secs
No
15-20
Yes
About your solutions
I changed the channel from 6 to 7 on my router, so far no glitch!!

Great thread Mmmkay!! Can't wait to hear the analysis of all the feedback!!

FWIW

About your PS3
Yes.

60GB.

No.

11/11/2006. Only been actively using since late last week though.

About your environment
Yes. Headsets, iPod Bluetooth dongle and a USB BT transceiver.

Disabled.

No.

Apartment. Can detect the neighbours' network.

About 1.5m.

About your spazzing
During extended sessions, yes.

Only on RR7 and Resistance but I've played them the most. Didn't notice any 'spazzing' with Blast Factor or Genji. Oh yeah, the controller 'spazzed' once while I was watching a BRD movie. The movie started FFing without user input...

Average about 2 secs. But once it was so bad the controller turned itself off.

None.

Alot. The controller will work flawlessly for some time and then 'spaz' several times in succession before returning to normal.

I suppose. I usually drain the batts before recharging though.

About your solutions
I don't spazz. Thankfully.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
No.

60gb

Yes.

Launch

About your environment
No.

Yes.

2.432 GHz

No Wii.

Residential area

~6ft

Mmmkay

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm putting together some
half assed
analysis and I'll update the OP soon. If anyone else hasn't had chance to fill in the survey yet, please do. We've got 19 replies so far, and I need more input!

evil ways

Mmmkay said:
About your PS3
1) Do you suffer from Sixaxis spazzing? No
2) Which PS3 model do you own? 20 GB
2i) If 60GB, do you actively use the wifi interface? N/A
3) How long have you owned/used your PS3? Since launch(11-17-06)

About your environment
5) Do you have an 802.11b/g wireless network? No
5i) If yes, please indicate the channel of operation. N/A
6) Do you own a Nintendo Wii and experience the same issues? N/A
6i) If yes, are the issue less or more prevalent? N/A
7) Where do you live? In a 2.4GHz polluted environment (Apartment complex, dorm, etc)? Concrete house in a residential area
8) How far away do you sit from your PS3? 4-5 Feet away

Personal note, I currently do not use my PS3 to play online.

LevelNth

Banned
Mmmkay said:
About your PS3
Yes
20GB
N/A
Since launch, 11/17/2006

About your environment
No
Yes
Uh, I'll have to check when I'm home
No, N/A
N/A
Townhome, little activity from neighbors
6-7ft

About your spazzing
No
No
2-4 sec
No
3-4
Yes

About your solutions
No

Agent X

No.

60 GB.

So far, I've only used it with Remote Play with the PSP.

4 days.

No.

No.

No, I don't own a Wii.

Apartment.

About 6 feet.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
About your PS3
Yes

60gb

Yes

1 week

About your environment
No

Yes

3 (plus neighbors also use WiFi)

Do not own a Wii

N/A

Apartment

7 ft

About your spazzing
Yes

Yes

2-3 seconds

No

10-15

Yes

About your solutions
N/A

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
yes.

60gb

yes, but i didn't at first and it STILL spazzed

since the JPN launched.

now have the wii - but it was spazing pre-wii

yes

Yes, i own a wii, No i don't experience the same issue.
In a detached house

1 meter

yes

mainly Ridge and Resistance

5-6 seconds

other than being unable to use it? no

um.... about 40?

yes

Threatening the Ps3 with violence has so far been ineffective.

Y2Kev

Can everyone update to 1.11 and see if the problem still continues? I'm interested to know if Sony secretly would slip a fix in and just not admit there ever was a problem. It'd be such a PR nightmare for them to admit their controllers don't work right.

The update is out, everyone should grab it.

Top Bottom