• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revisiting old animes: Sailor Moon Japanese Uncut version season 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaC

Gold Member
So yeah I have just been watching some old animes like Yoroiden-Samurai Troopers (Ronin Warriors) , and the classic uncensored original japanese version of Sailor Moon. I had only seen the american version of Sailor Moon when I was younger and remember it as quite horrible. It's amazing how much better the original Japanese version is. I think it holds up pretty damn well yet today and the original themesongs are good as well.

Is season 2 as good as 1?

Koomaster

Season 5 of Sailor Moon is quite honestly the best out of all of them IMO. Followed next by Season 3.

Season 2 and 4 are sorta equal for me, some people were turned off by Chibiusa yet I really liked her character.

Season 1 is last just because the plots aren't all that complex. It's more villian of the week and that's it.

Still my favorite anime overall, even Season 1 I love, I just like some of the other seasons better. :)

SantaC

Gold Member
Koomaster said:
Season 5 of Sailor Moon is quite honestly the best out of all of them IMO. Followed next by Season 3.

Season 2 and 4 are sorta equal for me, some people were turned off by Chibiusa yet I really liked her character.

Season 1 is last just because the plots aren't all that complex. It's more villian of the week and that's it.

Still my favorite anime overall, even Season 1 I love, I just like some of the other seasons better. :)

ok thanks. yeah I noticed that the plot in season 1 is kinda standard, but the last 20 episodes was amazing imo. The pace were more fluid and interesting.
When i see "Salormoon" and "uncut" in the same sentence i think of hentai :(

Well there was some stuff that they censored for the western audience. All lesbian and homosexual stuff were cut out, and the bodylines of the transformations were changed. I am sure there were other changes as well, but I dont remember. But the best thing with the original Japanese version is the solid voice acting.

SantaC

Gold Member
I just started season 2 of the Japanese version, and I immediately noticed that Usagi had a different voice. I was so pissed off, but it turned out that Kae Araki was just a stand in for a few episodes.

bjork

I just remember carrying the Season 1 and 2 sets that ADV did and being like "this is it for the options?" You could pick the episode and that was it, iirc

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, the original version gets points because it was so hard to come by for years and years, but really, beyond that it's not THAT much better... unless you have fast-forward. Not talking about series 3 or 5 since they had merit to begin with, although 5 has the dumbest monsters-of-the-week.

BTW, the live action version killed off whatever remaining interest I had in the franchise in just two episodes, but it was for the best.

SantaC

Gold Member
Hitokage said:
BTW, the live action version killed off whatever interest I had in the franchise in just two episodes, but it was for the best.

:lol :lol

I just saw the intro of the live action and it was possibly the worst thing I ever seen. I swear. It didn't kill any interest for me since live action vs animation is like lightyears apart in difference.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
SantaC said:
:lol :lol

I just saw the intro of the live action and it was possibly the worst thing I ever seen. I swear. I didn't kill any interest for me since live action vs animation is like lightyears apart in difference.
Yeah well, sitting through it the only thing I could think was "what the **** have I been watching all this time?"

Stars is the best season, IMO.

That being said, eventually you hit that point where you're like "what am I doing watching this". But it's really fun until you get to that point.

I still have my imported poster of Sailor Pluto lying around. In a place very, very, very far from my fiance's eyes. The over-the-shoulder Pedobear questions I sometimes get are bad enough, to have to answer for liking Sailor Moon is something I wouldn't want to look forward to. :)

YakiSOBA

which season/episode was it when sailor moon defeats queen barrel and frees prince darien from her bitch ass mindcontrol?

I remember seeing that episode on ytv (canadian kids channel back in the day) and they had some uber sad song playing, i almost cried T_T...

...then i bought the soundtrack. O.O

Prax

Interestingly enough, I HATE the soundtrack for the Japanese version of Sailormoon because everything sounds like a stupid beauty pageant (I guess because it kind of is... Makeup~~!).

I think I just got too used to the DiC voice acting and music. When the North American versions of Sailormoon was licensed under that other company for those Chibi-Usa seasons, my ears started bleeding at not only the awkward voice-acting but also the Japanese soundtrack that was left in... It was so.. embarrassing to watch.

And oh my gosh.. the Starlights.. I can't stop cringing at their horrible singing and pining.. They only had like 2 songs that they sang over and over too.. -_-
What's up with a gentle uterus attack anyway?! Creator lady's got some weird ideas (or was just sticking random feminist-ish English words together).

I still have a love for the series though. It was my first people-anime (that isn't Samurai Pizza Cats XD) that I recognized as an anime (as soemthing unique and different from Disney-like and other North American budget cartoons). It also influenced my art a lot (and trapped me into a Sailormoon costume designs and derivations of rut). I searched the internets on dial-up, waiting through horrific load times in order to glimpse at Japanese websites holding the information to this super-awesome show...

I can still remember the days where I hoped that Raye (lol.. English version of name?) would get together with Darien. I was such a stupid kid. Darien is not good enough for her.

- Prax, search for your love~!

YakiSOBA said:
which season/episode was it when sailor moon defeats queen barrel and frees prince darien from her bitch ass mindcontrol?

I remember seeing that episode on ytv (canadian kids channel back in the day) and they had some uber sad song playing, i almost cried T_T...

...then i bought the soundtrack. O.O
I think that was still Season 1. Sailor Moon . . . one on my favorite old series. I still haven't watched the movies though.

I still hear from people who liked the DiC American video intro over some of the Japanese ones not because of the music, but it concentrated more on all the Scouts and not just Sailor Moon. What say some of you?

SantaC

Gold Member
Synbios459 said:
For me its 3>2>5>1>4. Anyway, to anyone who thinks the dub was good, you have GOT to watch these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_aaaO202qk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVc3c-KsQNE

yeah the dub is just horrible. Not worth bothering with imo.

I still hear from people who liked the DiC American video intro over some of the Japanese ones not because of the music, but it concentrated more on all the Scouts and not just Sailor Moon. What say some of you?

I dunno. The story about Usagi / Sailor Moon / P Serenity is more interesting than the other sailors anyway. The japanese intro is great.

mollipen

Hitokage said:
BTW, the live action version killed off whatever remaining interest I had in the franchise in just two episodes, but it was for the best.

No way... the live action version was SOOOO AWESOME. Way better than the anime, because it had no hesitation in being amazingly cheezy and surreal.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Taichu said:
Cest la vie!

Well it was a good play on sailor v name. And the end of sailormoon classic is so dramatic, when I first saw the original version, I nearly cried :(

Taichu

JeFfRey said:
Well it was a good play on sailor v name.
Agreed. I enjoyed Sailor Moon live action, though I'm not really familiar with the cartoon series outside of what I remember watching on Toonami.

shuri

Banned
I remember when YTV would show it non stop back in the days. It was on like 2 hours a day every day of the week. Thats pretty much when YTV started sucking, but then again i was going out of their demographic.

Koomaster

Prax said:
And oh my gosh.. the Starlights.. I can't stop cringing at their horrible singing and pining.. They only had like 2 songs that they sang over and over too.. -_-
No WAY!? Their song "Nagareboshi He" (the search for your love one) is one of my all time favorite anime songs ever sung. It's absolutely beautiful IMO. It's probably second only to the Record of Lodoss War theme.

Actually like most of the songs from Sailormoon, got the 6 Disc Boxset. ^______^

ZeoVGM

Banned
Man, I've never been into anime, but I used to LOVE Sailor Moon and Ronin Warriors as a kid.

I just remember being so pissed because the last episode they ever showed of SM was a big cliffhanger one, where the girl (forgot her name, pink hair) saw the girls transform or whatever, finding out their IDENTITIES.

It's been a long time. :[

Koomaster said:
No WAY!? Their song "Nagareboshi He" (the search for your love one) is one of my all time favorite anime songs ever sung. It's absolutely beautiful IMO. It's probably second only to the Record of Lodoss War theme.

Actually like most of the songs from Sailormoon, got the 6 Disc Boxset. ^______^
Actually, "Nagareboshi He" means "Shooting Star".

Prax

Koomaster said:

No.. how could you like that song...
It.. it hurts my soul~! *cough.. hack.. remembering it now..*

Worst/best part was when they call out "Moonlight Princess~!" Oh so cheesy..
Of course, the dub songs are cheesy too, but I like how they even put in the effort to record their own songs. I remember really enjoying the Queen Beryl battle one they made and the My Only Love one.

You know, after watching those comparisons, I still kind of like the way DiC chopped it up and made it "their own" XD. I also understand why they had to change the names of the moves a little.. I mean.. "Moon Healing Escalation??" "Moon Princess Hailation" (don't forget awesome move names like: Moon Gorgeous Meditation and Starlight Honeymoon Therapy Kiss )?? These hardly make any sense! The dubbed names are wacky too, but at least they make a lot more sense (to me).

And what's with the youtube comparison complaining about "Rini" as Chibi-Usa's name? I always took it as a shortened version of "Serena"=> rena => renie => rini? Makes sense, does it not, since they're supposed to have the same name? It's A LOT better and probably less demeaning than "Chibi-Usa" => Mini-Usagi (Usagi jr.?).

It was the nice and cheesy type of chopping up that DiC did that probably made it way more enjoyable to me as a little girl. Adding in the Sailormoon Says to make sure I stay on the moral track and all... but forgettingt o cut out scenes from it that they cut out of the original episode (baby peeing on Usagi, ghost-Rei smacking her across the face..) XD As for CLOVERWAY... man.. You'd think that sticking closer to the original Japanese episodes and including the original soundtrack would make it better than the DiC dubs.. but it's all lies... oO .. I feel so old... I wish I could be as into magical girl animes as I used to be with Sailormoon..

- Prax, my rainbow moon heart aches..

Koomaster

I love the Japanese attack names just cause they are so out there. If I were the monster of the week and a girl all of a sudden called out something like; "Venus Love and Beauty Shock" I'd defintely stand there for a few seconds scratching my head at what all is going on. :p

I think the funniest translation of an attack was Pluto's. In the Japanese version it's just "Dead Scream" which is said more as a whisper. It's a powerful attack. But for the English translation it became "PLUTO DEADLY SCREAM" and was really just screamed. I don't know why I find it so funny, I guess just a s true testimate to the difference in cultures. :p

Overall, I like the originals better, but the Dubs have their funnier moments too. Still funny that the lovers became cousins in the translation.

alaria

Hmm...well, for me anyway, season 4 is the worst (SuperS), 3 is the best (S), and the other three are up to you. In terms of the anime, Season 3 had the most interesting plot, was more dark, and had good character development. Season 5 (Stars) while being totally awesome, kind of crapped out towards the end in the character development section (I felt they could have done a better job with it, anyway).

Seasons 1 (Classic) and 2 (R) were originally one story arc in the manga - and manga-wise, it is probably the best story in the series. Very well-written and thought out. The whole "doom tree" or whateverthefark DiC called it arc broke it up too much. but it's still good. And actually, in the manga, SuperS was a very good series, compared to the super-kiddie stuff the anime turned into.

There are sites with episode summaries, those might be worth a read...
http://oneblackrose.org/smec/ (shameless plug)
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/5976/

Would someone please download the Sailor Stars theme from sailormusic.net and tell me if at 2:)7 she says "Goddam"? I love the song, but that's something that's always bugged me.

SoVos20

Banned
The Manga is a good too. Stars for the Manga and Anime and actually very different in the story. In the Manga ChibiChibi is possibly sailor moon in the distant future, as sailor moon may be Sailor Cosmos in the future and chibichibi is sailor cosmos. Also in the manga the Amazones Quartet are sailor Quartet in Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom