• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Total War game will be in a brand new era

Keasar

We've known that Creative Assembly has been working on a new historical Total War game for a while now, but many had assumed the studio would be returning to a familiar setting. It's been 10 years since Medieval II: Total War. Just saying.

However, during a roundtable discussion on the future of the Total War franchise, brand director Rob Bartholomew told Eurogamer that the team were in fact working on "an era we haven't tackled yet."

This means the next historical game won't be set in feudal Japan, the Roman republic or medieval Europe. Nor will we see a return to the Napoleonic Wars or the fight for American independence.

"Did he? That's interesting of him," added creative director Mike Simpson when pressed for further details on Bartholomew's comment. "Yes, it's a brand new era. It's not something we've done before."

The game's currently in pre-production and we're yet to hear anything regarding a release date.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...cal-total-war-is-an-era-we-havent-tackled-yet

Total War: The Stone Ages? The Western Front? Civil War? The Warhammer 40K universe?

I'd be totally up for that last one.

pa22word

Civil War could work. It and the Crimean War are kind of the wishywashy points between WWI and Napoleonic era warfare to the point that I could see them using Napoleon as a base with some tweaks and it still working.

WWI is kind of the point where I don't see how they can keep going without drastic renovations to moment to moment gameplay, though. I'd rather just have Relic do a Company of Heroes: Great War, honestly.

MrChom

Total War: WW1

We're just past the centenary, Battlefield's kind of hot right now....they might get it done for the centenary of it ending....

WW2 might provide a more interesting setting, mind.

Theandrin

I'm still thinking an early China could be a good setting. Maybe even the era around the 600's when Islam was rising.

Civil War could work. It and the Crimean War are kind of the wishywashy points between WWI and Napoleonic era warfare to the point that I could see them using Napoleon as a base with some tweaks and it still working.

WWI is kind of the point where I don't see how they can keep going without drastic renovations to moment to moment gameplay, though.
I was thinking that, but they did Fall of the Samurai. Fall of the Samurai had those ideas in them when it came out.

Pooya

Warhammer is pretty great, probably the best one so far. They should do something totally new, maybe sci-fi even. The old games are perfectly fine if you want historical ones.

RedSwirl

I'm still thinking an early China could be a good setting. Maybe even the era around the 600's when Islam was rising.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Mongols. I don't really play Total War though so I don't know if Islam and Mongols were already heavily incorporated in Medieval II.

China seems like the biggest thing Creative Assembly has never touched. There's just the fear that western audiences won't like it as much.

CHC

Total War: WW1

We're just past the centenary, Battlefield's kind of hot right now....they might get it done for the centenary of it ending....

WW2 might provide a more interesting setting, mind.

Kind of thinking that as well. Meshes with the style of Total War quite well. A diverse conflict and politically tumultuous era with massive battles and innumerable casualties.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Mongols. I don't really play Total War though so I don't know if Islam and Mongols were already heavily incorporated in Medieval II.

China seems like the biggest thing Creative Assembly has never touched. There's just the fear that western audiences won't like it as much.

They were. The Mongols appeared later in the campaign and the Islam had the Moors, the Turks and Egypt.

shandy706

Civil War could work. .

I'd love a game based around the American Wars from the Revolutionary War through the Civil War and even the Yaqui Wars. That's a huge span of years though...and I'm not sure how you create all the different "armies".

There were a TON of American wars that people don't know about in that period though (1775 - 1918!). They could do a whole series and expansions easily.

(Heck, just being able to create an "alternate history" by winning with the Native Americans would be fun for me.)

Big Wazu

I would really love a 19th century British Empire Total War game. So many wars, battles, skirmishes at that time all over the world.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
How about early Arab empire? First major objective is to hold off both the Sasanian and Byzantine empires, as you attempt to fight both major powers at the same time. Khalid bin Walid is your powers major General, and Rustam can be one of Persia's.

How about early Arab empire? First major objective is to hold off both the Sasanian and Byzantine empires, as you attempt to fight both major powers at the same time. Khalid bin Walid is your powers major General, and Rustam can be one of Persia's.
They sort of did this in Attila.

Well I mean there was a Empire Total War... with an expansion specific to Napoleonic wars.

That was 17th century with the three main areas being Europe, North America, and India. One focused on the 19th century could expanded to included conflicts in Africa, Asia, and South America. As wells as the American Civil War, the Crimean War, etc. I would love this setting personally.

Edit: Oops it was early 18th century not 17th.

mlclmtckr

Banned
The thing about Total War is it's a series about men who line up in neat rows and columns to fight battles. That kind of constrains them. I mean, how would WWI even work in that context?

The late XIX as some people have suggested sounds nice, you could have there the opium wars, Crimea war, the Taiping Rebellion, the Boers war, the Spanish - USA war and even if you stretch it the Ruso-Japan Conflict at the beggining of XX century.

Lister

Banned
Was hoping for Medieval 3, but after Warhammer, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

They done good.

RedSwirl

The earliest time period so far has been the 3rd century BC with Rom right? There's a lot material before that, though I don't know if it's as well-recorded.

I think if you go just a couple centuries before that you get "Greece Total War," though apparently Rome 1 already did an Alexander expansion. But the Middle East has tons of stuff from the preceding millennium or two. Pre-Ptolmeic Egypt, Achaemenid Empire, Assyrians, Babylonians, Judea, etc. I'm just rambling off Bronze Age empires off the top of my head. I don't know how many expansions or whatever have covered those extensively.

Still, China is the only really broad space and period CA hasn't touched. It's a large region of the world and 3000-plus years of history.

Oh, and I agree that Total War (from what I've seen) seems to be designed around units moving in neat rows against each other. Didn't that kind of warfare basically end in the mid-19th century? I know that by WW1 war wasn't really fought like that anymore, and the latest you could go would be maybe like the Crimean War and American Civil War.

Hmm I don't see that many eras which weren't already covered by two big medieval games, Rome and rest.

- historical China (Romance of Three Kingdoms stuff)
- American Civil War
- creation of Mongol Empire ?
- Ancient Greece

so maybe one of those ?

Top Bottom