• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft opens studio in Belgrade, Serbia. ~2000 employees in Eastern Europe overall.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...expands-in-eastern-europe-with-serbian-studio

Ubisoft has announced that it's bolstering its presence in Eastern Europe by opening a production studio in Belgrade, Serbia. The 15-person team has already been collaborating on the PC version of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands, and the French publisher noted that it intends to expand to about 40 team members in 2017.

Serbia marks the fourth production studio for Ubisoft in Eastern Europe, joining locations in Bucharest, Sofia and Kiev, and it brings Ubisoft's employee count in the region up to 2,000.

Ubisoft boasted that it's been a "pioneer in the region, setting up one of the first development studios in Bucharest, Romania, 25 years ago, followed by Sofia, Bulgaria, in 2006 and Kiev, Ukraine, in 2008." The team in Belgrade will collaborate with the other studios in Eastern Europe and will ultimately collaborate with other experienced Ubisoft studios on high profile IP going forward.

Rondras

Banned
I'm from there and it's basically because all ex-yugoslavia is a cheap zone now and also in serbia are some good mathematicians(who maybe got into dev stuff) so kind of good for Ubi to grab some early talents without spending too much.

Corpekata

Banned
Was going to make a joke about this being their PC port office like Ubi Kiev is but they actually are working on the PC version of a game lol.

emag

Ubisoft Sofia's done an amazing job with AC games (Liberation, Black Flag (partial), Rogue). Hope Belgrade does well too.

like Witcher 3? :)

The Witcher series has been extremely janky, and W3 -- while better than its predecessors - still clearly has that janky EE feel.

Splatt

I'm from there and it's basically because all ex-yugoslavia is a cheap zone now and also in serbia are some good mathematicians(who maybe got into dev stuff) so kind of good for Ubi to grab some early talents without spending too much.

Basically this.

Still a good entry opportunity for bigger stuff in gamedev

royox

~2000 employees in Eastern Europe overall.

And they will put ALL their names on the next Assassins Creed game credits and finally the credits will be longer than the game!

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Can't wait to see A Serbian Game

Seriously though happy to see some western investment in the Balkans hope it starts going to neighboring countries

ty_hot

If they added 15 employs it means that they already have around 2000 employees in the region, 15 more or less doesn't change much.

Great, another 45 seconds added to every Ubisoft credits screen.

Just kidding, but man it really feels like Ubi has way too many employees for the number and quality of games it produces. I wonder if the Vivendi purchase is about someone coming in and gutting the dev process and cycle to make it far more efficient.

I wonder how many people worked on the Assassins Creed Ezio remaster. Typically I'd guess 15-20, but in Ubi's case... 100+?

Cheap bastards. :p
I don't think it's actually cheap as you make out. In some cases they are sowing the seeds at an educational level to ensure there is a steady steam of developers 5-15 years from now in emerging markets like Brazil. So they make games that can cater to that audience. It's not like they are going to close Montreal or Montpellier because of this.

but where will i get my eastern european jank games now?

... from Ubisoft?

Honestly, some of the Assassin's Creed releases could have benefited from a bit of Eurojank in place of whatever half-baked North American jank they shipped with. At least Eurojank is charming.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder how many people worked on the Assassins Creed Ezio remaster. Typically I'd guess 15-20, but in Ubi's case... 100+?

Ubi actually outsourced The Ezio Collection. It was done by Virtuous, the same studio responsible for Return to Arkham and the upcoming FFXII HD.

Top Bottom