• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LKD: XCX Switch port not by Monolith, working on new project for 2018 or later

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

woo woo woo

WzIMSuZ.png

BTW she's actually getting blacklisted from Nintendo LMFAO

edit: OH fuck got ninja'd

Also credit to KingSnake and LordKano.

What kind of new game do you expect for them on Switch? And who's making this port? Tantalus?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I assume it's done by Tantalus and the game they are working on is the sequel to X, still using Mira at least partially but probably more focused on the story.

Eolz

I doubt it's Tantalus. Likely just some japanese studio.
Seems we won't hear about Monolith's project at the Switch lineup reveal then.

Ridley327

If it's being handled externally, then I can't imagine that there are going to be too many improvements beyond some basic ones. They'll help, but I think that the game is likely to remain daunting for people with how many systems go unexplained in the game itself without having to resort to the manual.

I assume it's done by Tantalus and the game they are working on is the sequel to X, still using Mira at least partially but probably more focused on the story.

Exactly what I want. It would be total waste if they limit all those amazing alien designs and lore to XCX.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

If it's not coming before 2018 at the earliest I doubt that's a certain thing. Takahashi did say he wants the next game to look and feel pretty different.

And maybe this is what Monster Games got after porting the original to 3DS?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Yeah.. about that..

Monster Games broke away from Nintendo, working on Nascar games for PS4/XONE/PC

I doubt it's Tantalus. Likely just some japanese studio.
Seems we won't hear about Monolith's project at the Switch lineup reveal then.

If the rumor is true, it most likely would be Tantalus Media doing the port. What Japanese studio would you see porting an HD game of this caliber?

Ridley327

If it's not coming before 2018 at the earliest I doubt that's a certain thing. Takahashi did say he want the next game to look and feel pretty different.

Monster appears to be busy with their ongoing deal with the NASCAR rights holders, and given their size, they'd be incapable of working on more than one game at a time.

jj984jj

Yeah.. about that..

Monster Games broke away from Nintendo, working on Nascar games for PS4/XONE/PC

Did they break away or do that in between these ports?

Edit:
Monster appears to be busy with their ongoing deal with the NASCAR rights holders, and given their size, they'd be incapable of working on more than one game at a time.

Oh, is it a multi-game deal? That makes sense. That's too bad for Nintendo though...

kromeo

I really hope they listen to all the feedback about X for the next game..

I will probably give X another try on the switch though

Eolz

If the rumor is true, it most likely would be Tantalus Media doing the port. What Japanese studio would you see porting an HD game of this caliber?

The ones that did the Bayonetta port for example? I'm sure Tantalus is doing a port for Switch, just not this one. It's a complex game for any studio, Tantalus included.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The ones that did the Bayonetta port for example? I'm sure Tantalus is doing a port for Switch, just not this one. It's a complex game for any studio, Tantalus included.

Bee Tribe did the Bayonetta 1 port, but they also assisted development on the original Bayonetta. So they had a foot in the door already for that particular port. Tantalus is a bigger developer, and probably is more quipped to do Xenoblade X. But not a bad point mate.

syoaran

Glad the port is in the works - despite it's flaws, XCX was a very enjoyable game to play.

Fingers crossed that the new game is a direct sequel, the art book teased out a lot of stuff I'd love to see

Rymuth

If it's Tantalus doing the porting then I expect good results.

Need more info on this new project. Melt my eyes, Monolith.

Golnei

If it's being handled externally, then I can't imagine that there are going to be too many improvements beyond some basic ones. They'll help, but I think that the game is likely to remain daunting for people with how many systems go unexplained in the game itself without having to resort to the manual.

At the very least, tweaking the UI for readability should be a priority - I don't think the original text size would be all that conducive to being played in the portable configuration; given how poorly it scaled to the gamepad in off-TV mode.

random25

Pretty much expected. The important thing is someone from Monolithsoft should be closely supervising the port.

And glad to know at least a partial confirmation that they are working on something.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Good news - cant wait to see what Monolith is working on next.

rockyt

I like how nintendo been having their ports/remake/remaster/and so on being done by another trusted or developers with good rep do these while their main studios continue to work on newer games.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So that means it's a straight port with no new content?

Erm no ? They also added and enhanced stuff for Twillight Princess. If its Tantalus they probably will tweak some features with Nintendos/Monolith involvement.

Dont expect any of the WiiU/3DS games that show up again on Switch to be straight up ports.

At the very least, tweaking the UI for readability should be a priority - I don't think the original text size would be all that conducive to being played in the portable configuration; given how poorly it scaled to the gamepad in off-TV mode.

This. Monolith seemed pretty hands-off with Xenoblade 3D, even that game's interface wasn't rebuilt for the 3DS and was instead just pieced up and plonked into parts of the screen that made sense. So I'd be worried that XCX's is kept largely verbatim

kulapik

I assume they'll announce the new Monolith game, and they'll say "whil you wait, you can also play Xenoblade X on Switch"

Can they reduce the amount of parts grinding for high level gems? Fuck that shit actually. Half all the rare item requirements. Make unused party members passively gain levels as you progress. Allow you to add party members from the menu. Bam. You just made this game way better.

Ninja Dom

Laura definitely not in Nintendo's good books.

Do you guys enjoy that she's leaking so much confidential information? What's her motivation for doing so? Hits on her website? Follows on her Twitter?

Anything she hears, she runs straight to the internet and tells the world.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If it's not coming before 2018 at the earliest I doubt that's a certain thing. Takahashi did say he wants the next game to look and feel pretty different.

I'm not sure that's the exact thing Takashi said. I don't think the look is mentioned there. Do you have an exact quote?

Peru

Laura definitely not in Nintendo's good books.

Do you guys enjoy that she's leaking so much confidential information? What's her motivation for doing so? Hits on her website? Follows on her Twitter?

Any journalist would be interested in exclusive news and stories.

jj984jj

I'm not sure that's the exact thing Takashi said. I don't think the look is mentioned there. Do you have an exact quote?
Monolith Soft’s next project will look and feel “pretty different from this one”

“I tend to get bored with things pretty easily, so I’d like to keep creating things with different approaches every time,” says Takahashi. “Along those lines, I’d definitely like my next project to look and feel pretty different from this one. The ‘Xeno’ name, by the way, really just exists to make it clear that these are Tetsuya Takahashi productions.”
http://time.com/4149809/xenoblade-chronicles-x-director-tetsuya-takahashi/

It's a sequel to X, most definitely.

They are porting X to reach a bigger audience and to get people ready for its sequel (the ending points to a direct sequel, and it needs to happen because it will be awesome).

maxcriden

Erm no ? They also added and enhanced stuff for Twillight Princess. If its Tantalus they probably will tweak some features with Nintendos/Monolith involvement.

Dont expect any of the WiiU/3DS games that show up again on Switch to be straight up ports.

Are there any rumored 3DS ports at this time? I'd love to see Luigi's Mansion 2 or Kid Icarus Uprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom