• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare game looks like it will have singleplayer

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This EA job popped up for the Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare team: https://career4.successfactors.com/...lertName=&_s.crb=WDzfsTMMYo2WDMs4QBVlV0ccZNU=

Career Opportunities: Plants Vs. Zombies - Lead Single Player Designer (107643)
Requisition ID 107643 - Posted 11/29/2016 - Regular - EA Studios - PvZ - Game Design - Burnaby - British Columbia - Canada - Americas

WE WANT YOUR BRAINS… PopCap Vancouver is on the hunt for bright, talented, people with a passion for making the world’s best games. What’s in it for you? A super-fun environment, rewarding work, excellent benefits, and lots of great perks. It takes big, delicious brains to make award-wining titles like Plants vs. Zombies. Are you up for the challenge?

Role: Lead Single Player Designer
We are looking for a talented and experienced Single Player Designer to join an established team of developers working on an exciting AAA title that is in development. This is an opportunity to join a veteran team early in pre-production and help bring the creative vision to life on a new game.

Responsibilities:
• Collaborate with the Creative Director and Producer to execute against the vision through the single player campaign.
• Work with a team of Lead Designers and the Creative Director through all stages of development to design and develop a suite of features that delivers against the game vision.
• Work with the Lead Multiplayer Designer to ensure that all aspects of the single player and multiplayer experiences remain consistent and in sync.
• Work with the Lead Writer to ensure that the single-player campaign executes on all story requirements and vice versa.
• Responsible for ensuring timely completion to a high quality of all key designs necessary to deliver the product.
• Be proactive in communicating progress and resolution of problems both within the design group but also with other key Directors on the game team.
• Create design documentation backlog and key prototypes for specific and exploratory game systems.

Requirements:
• 5 + years of experience as a game designer working on AAA titles.
• Bring a strong sense of humour and fun to the team and the game.
• Familiar with all AAA titles, expert in the action/shooter genre
• Comfortable collaborating with all levels of the game team
• Thorough understanding of scripting and programming concepts
• Ability to work collaboratively with team members from different locations and different disciplines.
• Ability to critique the concepts of play in a group environment
• Willingness to adapt and iterate designs.
• A passion for gaming
• Education requirement: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience

Benefits:
We are proud of the great perks we offer like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, pension with company match and, of course, free video games. And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality.

We Thought You Might Also Want to Know:
More about our location: http://careers.ea.com/our-locations/burnaby-eav
Contact me: Jesenka Duranovic, Recruiter, jduranovic@ea.com; @jesenka088

Jawmuncher

I'm surprised these games do so well. What exactly am I missing? I recall the first was a budget release right? Was the second game as well?

iTehDroiD

Neo Member
Really enjoyed the first one but the second one looked and felt exactly the same with a couple more characters. Thats why decided to skip that one.

2nd one was such a let down for me
I loved the first one so much but the sequel , the imbalance characters and the maps were eh

Honestly if they had a classic mode with just the first game characters on the second game maps I would have played the game more

Titanfall 2 single player X plants vs zombies 👀🤔

blakep267

Eh I didn't really care for the SP like stuff in 2. I think 1 had it right. Just give me a few playlists and a bunch of characters at $40 and call it a day

My son has put about 300 hours into this game (PvZ GW2) and he's 6. I think that's probably the best age for it. I've played with him plenty as well, but if we are ever online it's always kids talking. The game does have a single-player aspect with missions to complete as well as objectives that are available from the quest board. The 2nd game is a HUGE step up from the first. The first was basically a front end for multiplayer matches. This one is much more fleshed out. I'm really looking forward to a follow up.

DJ_Lae

Second game was a massive improvement in terms of how I wanted to play it - split screen with my daughter.

Their only real flub was not letting you spawn two AI companions in Garden Ops like you can in singleplayer. But if they keep polishing things in that direction I'll jump on board a third at launch again (and another 10 hour prerelease trial sure wouldn't hurt).

I'm surprised these games do so well. What exactly am I missing? I recall the first was a budget release right? Was the second game as well?

They are very fun to play and all the classes are unique with their own abilities. Easily one of the best mp games available.

-MD-

I got burned on PVZ:GW2 after the stellar first game so I'm gonna be cautious with the 3rd entry.

Rocketz

Well I'm happy to see the series is continuing. I really enjoy the games and while two was a little bit overdone in some areas with the new characters, I'm excited for a 3rd entry.

alemmon

I mean it wasnt too deep but Garden Warfare 2 had a single player element. I know people could join you, but it was very fun. I am very happy to hear that a new one is in development!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Guess it comes down what to focus on more during development idk

Basically, unless you have lots of money, publishers don't feel they can successfully ship good multiplayer and singleplayer with a new IP at the same time.

Obviously if you're Ubisoft and can throw 300+ people on a game, it's not an issue, but this was more of a 20-30 person team.

Yoshi88

2nd one was such a let down for me
I loved the first one so much but the sequel , the imbalance characters and the maps were eh

Honestly if they had a classic mode with just the first game characters on the second game maps I would have played the game more

Titanfall 2 single player X plants vs zombies ����

Yeah, something was off in the sequel. It wasn't bad per se, i can't quite put my finger on it. The first one was definitely more streamlined in terms of quick access, simplicity of modes etc. I liked the new classes, but the whole zombification/ wonderland theme of the maps was a bit over the top compared to the clear backyard artstyle from before.

But i DO appreciate the fleshed out splitscreen experience. Had a blast playing with my boyfriend. Really good and they could keep on expanding on that.

Yoshi88

They did, patch just went live today that allows split-screen in online modes.

Oh ...my...god. Thanks for the notice!!! Thats great!

Although my comment was primarily in regards to the lackluster splitscreen in the first game (mostly restricted to horde modes). PvZ GW is one of those games, where i still really enjoy playing against AI, even more so in splitscreen with a friend :)

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
YES.

This is my favorite shooter since Halo 2. I love that it seems to be doing well enough to churn out more. A game with Cheetos DLC is getting a third entry.

Kremzeek

wow this is great news!

i loved GWarfare 1 & 2. the character designs and abilities really won me over. i think it's so refreshing to have a shooter that isn't gritty or serious. (which is why i like Overwatch so much too)

i would totally be down with playing a single player game - probably 2 different playthroughs from zombie perspective & plant perspective....?

I wonder if this will come to the Switch.

With the success of Splatoon, another colorful, unconventional third-person shooter you think that it would. But it's also published by EA.

Also I just got EA Access yesterday and the first things I put to download were both games.

luchadork

i'm so glad this game is getting another entry. its pure fun. no stress. lots of unlockables. different classes. impeccable art style. frostbite/battlefield engine. its just a good multiplayer shooter to chill out to.

Flux

Another new entry so soon? I really liked the series, and put a good amount of time into both. It could just be expansion type content.

Both are huge hits with kids. A very good alternative to more violent multiplayer shooters.

killroy87

Hmm, I thought the second one bombed. Glad to see it might get another entry, I don't know if I can take both it and Skylanders dying in the same week. I need my colorful, harmless action games somewhere.

NMFried

Will definitely snag this one. I never put too many hours into the first two since there were always other MP games to play, but will buy for SP.

J_Viper

I'm surprised they making a third, considering how quickly GW2 fell off the face of the earth.

Hopefully EA has learned this is not a franchise you charge $60 for

The sequel was so much better than the first one. I can't believe I'm reading opinions that believe the opposite. I unlocked every class variation in the game. I absolutely loved the first game, but the second was on a whole other level.

BigEmil

Great! Love the PvZGW games, ever since GW2 more single player content focus wanted more of that more full fledged this time and less of MP which not many people play except maybe garden ops. They did give a survey within the games mailbox rating each features I gave single player importance a 10 while the others lower maybe many others did too and now EA knows

breadtruck

First was a ton of fun. I got it for free and I wish I paid for it.
Second was meh. I preordered it and wish I got it for free...
I wont get the third unless I see a demo/beta that changes my mind.

Its a team vs team shooter with plants and zombies. Its a lot of fun, with simple mechanics that anyone can pick up and play. That said, make sure you mute chat unless you want to listen to kids being annoying on purpose (it is a kid-friendly game, of course.)

Sounds good, I am approximately 1,000x more likely to buy a game if there's a campaign or at least some kind of offline SP content.

I am pretty surprised we are getting another one of these. I know the first did really well, but I was under the impression the sequel did not perform all that great

ElNino

What is surprising to you? The first game was my favourite multiplayer game of the year. Better (to me) than Titanfall which was released within a month of it I believe. It was (and is) a ton of fun and is easy to play with my kids as well.

The second game is fun as well, but I haven't put as much time into it yet. The kids still really like it and I've enjoyed what I played, but I wasn't as sold on the hub world stuff.

Bought GW2 Digital Deluxe day one. Never again, EA.
The way I did was buy the disc version day one (at a much lower price than full digital), then sell it before it goes into the EA Access vault.

Chris1

Loved the first one but there was something off with 2. Glad I'm not alone is thinking that. Personally wish they just kept it like 1. MP only with a few modes for 40.

Rokal

I've greatly enjoyed both games, was actually taking a break from GW2 to check GAF when I saw this. They've added a bunch of free content since release and it still feels like the most colorful and light hearted shooter this gen. It oozes personality, and doesn't feel deadly serious like most MP FPS. That is reflected in the community too, where people don't rage out at people who aren't at the top of their team. That said, there is still a ton of depth and characters with a high skill cap to play.

GW2 actually had a fair amount of single player content but more is always welcome. Glad to see the series is doing well enough for more releases. The universe needs games like PvZ GW in a universe full of CoDs and BF games. Day one.

Garden Warfare 2 had single player though...

Their take on Modern Warfare's AC130 mission was amazing. The Monster Hunter boss...absolutely terrible.

Edit: If they went all the way and did Grass Effect or a Call of Duty style game with setpieces, I'd be all for that.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm surprised they making a third, considering how quickly GW2 fell off the face of the earth.

Hopefully EA has learned this is not a franchise you charge $60 for
The game is stupidly well done for the relatively small niche it occupies but I don't think EA knows how to make it mainstream. They either have to double down on the kids market and get physical products on the shelves or add a little more depth and get the BF fans involved. I think GW2 was a small step in the latter direction but they didn't fully commit.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
A huge regret of mine is not picking up PvZ2 PC after seeing it on sale for 15 bucks a month or so back. I went back to get it a couple days later and the one copy they had on the shelf was gone.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I wonder how GW2 performed during Black Friday. $15 made it the perfect gift for a kid with a system. The Target I went to was sold out of the PS4 version by noon.

Please, no generic story campaign. I kind of like what 2 did with map scenarios for singleplayers. Give us something self-contained and segmented like that, maybe more in the vein of Splatoon, but taking advantage of a Plant/Zombie's abilities for particular levels instead. As long as they stick to a more traditional singleplayer experience, I'm sure it could be great.

Also, I loved my time with 2, but I'm starting to regret buying it. Should've just waited for 3.

Top Bottom