• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G2A advertising games for "him and her"

Maffis

https://twitter.com/juliettechelsea/status/804185975857389568

Seen through reddit; apparently the key-reseller G2A is doing a campaign where they are advertising some games for "him and her".

Seen in the photo they are calling Overwatch, Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 games for guys and games like Sims 4, Life is Strange and Farming Simulator games for "her".

I just find it backwards as hell that some companies are still so far behind like this. Is Sims really a girls game? Isn't there a huge amount of female players in Overwatch? What is this?

wrowa

What do you expect from G2A of all places? Hardly surprising they'd pull something scummy or backwards.

Stalwart

Not many people seem to give a shit about G2A being scamming resellers that steal from developers so maybe this blunder will get more people to stop buying from them.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
At least they could have done this inverting the games.

Put the FPS for her and the simulators to him....at least be creative when trying to do something dumb G2A

Com_Raven

Funny thing is that, as a German male, I always assumed that Farm Simulator is only played by German males :p

Apart from that, that newsletter is pretty groan-worthy...

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

N° 2048

Ok I thought this was like a list of co-op games that are easily accessible for a bf or gf that isn't into gaming.

wtf

sensui-tomo

just because we're on the subject on dumb ask marketing, does that one game still use the scantily clad women to market itself
All i remember was the dialog was some like "Blah blah blah MY LORD" was probably medieval time based/fantasy.

sibarraz

Banned
Ignoring that today games are more genderless than ever, Is farming simulator a game for women? I always associate this game with guys on their mid 20's/30's who like machines

patapuf

Funny thing is that, as a German male, I always assumed that Farm Simulator is only played by German males :p

Apart from that, that newsletter is pretty groan-worthy...

Yeah, i'd bet (not much :p) that this is the game that skews the most towards males of the ones listed.

N° 2048

And I was hoping this would turn out to be something positive. Nope.

My gf is apparently not supposed to like Overwatch even though I've put in 80 hours into it and AND MY GF HAS PUT FUCKING 160 HOURS INTO OVERWATCH.

So manly a game.

I'm mad sorry.

jph139

I mean, advertising "grim looking dude with guns" at men and "teenage girl with time powers" at women seems... like, is that not okay? Most women I know would rather play the Sims or Life is Strange than Battlefield or Titanfall. Saying "Battlefield is just for men!" is backwards but saying "hey men, you might like Battlefield" seems like pretty normal marketing to me.

That being said, Overwatch seems to have pretty even appeal to both genders and Farming Simulator always struck me as a game almost exclusively played by men so those are strikeouts. Other than that I don't get the problem?

It's time to stop this. Men can like tractors too, they're not only for women.

I mean, advertising "grim looking dude with guns" at men and "teenage girl with time powers" at women seems... like, is that not okay? Most women I know would rather play the Sims or Life is Strange than Battlefield or Titanfall. Saying "Battlefield is just for men!" is backwards but saying "hey men, you might like Battlefield" seems like pretty normal marketing to me.

That being said, Overwatch seems to have pretty even appeal to both genders and Farming Simulator always struck me as a game almost exclusively played by men so those are strikeouts. Other than that I don't get the problem?
Seems needlessly limiting to say any games are for any gender.

This kind of gendered marketing is pointless, exclusive, and regressive.

Dantis

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I definitely don't think it's a problem.

Venom Fox

Banned
In my experience, sisters, ex gf's and customers who I serve games to at work, this logic is correct.

It may seem dumb but the sheer amount of people who ask me or have asked me, "can I play The Sims because that's more of a girls game" and "Hi, do you have any girls games like The Sims or Life is Strange in stock?" etc is staggering. So no, I don't find this sexist or anything at all.

Overwatch though is defo a Unisex game.

I honestly don't see the problem. Stop trying to make something out of nothing people.

Lol, I thought it meant games for couples, like Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime or Affordable Space Adventures or other cute co-op games. Though I suppose then people would've complained the name of the sale excluded gay and lesbian couples...

But then, why would G2A give a fuck? They're already the largest facilitator of stolen video game key sales on the internet, and the people who buy from them and the scumbag streamers who advertise them don't care. Why would a little casual sexism bother them now?

N° 2048

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I definitely don't think it's a problem.

but why? Why even do this? You don't speak for everyone so just advertise for the game itself not the target audience. It's so archaic.

We have moved passed this.

They could have done a list of games couples can play together. co op or something.

jph139

Seems needlessly limiting to say any games are for any gender.

I think that's reading too much into it. I don't see anything in the ad saying "women can't play Overwatch, Overwatch is for men" - I just see it saying that a man you know may enjoy you buying Overwatch for him.

I guess it's part of a larger "gendered" culture in the industry, but I feel like we should be more critical of EA pushing out male-dominated "Grim Moody White Dude in: Shooting Game" than companies advertising intentionally masculine games to male audiences.

But I don't know this company so maybe there's context I'm missing.

Auctopus

Farming Simulator for her? Hahahaha. Oh my, what a treat!

"Get your lady some virtual hard labour for Christmas!"

My gf is apparently not supposed to
Ok, as shitty as this is, let's not misconstrue this as some guidelines for what someone can play.

Some things with genuine intentions can lead to bad results, including creating a dichotomy between the sexes. They absolutely deserve to get put on blast for that, but even then a line exists.

Good to see that G2A is giving just as much respect to their customers as they are to game developers.

The day it closes its doors I'll be a happy man.

N° 2048

Ok, as shitty as this is, let's not misconstrue this as some guidelines for what someone can play.

Some things with genuine intentions can lead to bad results, including creating a dichotomy between the sexes. They absolutely deserve to get put on blast for that, but even then a line exists.

Yea, I can't say I'm not emotional right now. Sorry.

Head.spawn

Gotta tell my wife to stop playing Dishonored 2 and to go buy and start playing something like Sims instead.

Should go over well.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I like The Sims and Life is Strange, am I a woman now? Are (the ton of) women who like Overwatch men?

To be fair, this isn't the worst marking stunt I've seen pulled by PC game key seller...

75nFUUZ.png

Well. I guess I'm not buying shit from there again

who gives a fuck

Well, in this thread, it seems everyone except..you? A thread is posted precisely because someone gives a fuck, geez.

Dantis

but why? Why even do this? You don't speak for everyone so just advertise for the game itself not the target audience. It's so archaic.

We have moved passed this.

They could have done a valentines list of games couples can play.
If the marketing doesn't work, then who cares?
Let's say it's wholly redundant (and I'm not convinced it is, if you're wanting to sell something), then surely we just ignore it? We're not purchasing anything. In fact, we're having nothing to do with any aspect of it.

It seems like it's a failed imitation of what loads of shops do with gifts around Christmas, and in an unusual twist, GAF is giving it more attention than it deserves. The fact we're discussing it proves that.

I like The Sims and Life is Strange, am I a girl now? Are (the ton of) girls who like Overwatch men?
This is what I mean. Come on now.

If your perceptions of yourself are so fragile that you see an advert saying 'for him' as a contest of your gender, there might be something wrong.

Top Bottom