• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian PS4 vs PS4 Pro Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate Test

So it's:

Variable 20-30fps on regular PS4
Marginally improved on PS4 Pro at 4k (1900p resolution)
Stable 30fps on PS4 Pro at 1080p

I think I can adapt to the original PS4 framerate.

dealer-

Any notes for someone like me that can't watch it now?

PS4 Pro at 1080p is pretty much 30fps locked.

Standard PS4 drops to 20 fps.

PS4 Pro at 4K drops to around 27fps.

"PS4 Pro comes across as the only machine capable of delivering the ideal experience" according to DF.

Wow, Sony fucked up big time releasing this in such a technical state.

It's almost as if they're forcing you to purchase a Pro to enjoy the game :/

Shadow of the Colossus frame rate issues had zero impact on my enjoyment of the game, or it's playability. Perfectly willing to give The Last Guardian a pass on it.

jacobeid

Banned
Wow. I really can't believe the technical problems with this. I wanted to buy it but I'm definitely going to wait now.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, Sony fucked up big time releasing this in such a technical state.

It's almost as if they're forcing you to purchase a Pro to enjoy the game :/
Going out on a limb here but I doubt they could do much better. The Pro was never really a part of the equation here (until the very end).

The problem likely goes very deep in the engine.

Going out on a limb here but I doubt they could do much better. The Pro was never really a part of the equation here (until the very end).

The problem likely goes very deep in the engine.

Completely forgot about when this game was first in development, PS4 Pro was just a pipe dream.

Isn't the game based on PS2 assets? Or did I just dream this up?

Come the fuck on!!! It's 1900p on 4k and you can't downsample on a 1080p display??? You're stuck with 1080p and a more stable framerate? This fucking sucks, i want both options!!

Cubas

I heard some pretty bad things about the performance on the OG PS4. Like "I can see the scene frame by frame because it's so choppy".

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I played in 4K mode and while it definitely drops in certain areas (and I can't figure out what makes it drop) I thought the unsteadiness was noticeable but manageable. The clean IQ was worth it. I understand if people can't tolerate it though. Yikes at the base PS4. Guess it's an improvement over sotc lol.

Not sure what's wrong with their tech but throw it out for next game. :)

dark10x

Come the fuck on!!! It's 1900p on 4k and you can't downsample on a 1080p display??? You're stuck with 1080p and a more stable framerate? This fucking sucks, i want both options!!
Both options would be great but THANK GOD they don't force downsampling. That would basically render the game screwed since it runs so poorly in the 4K mode (playable, but not anywhere close to good). It's not worth it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Importantly for me - how does it look in 4K mode? I survived ICO and SotC on their original platforms so I can survive sub-30fps for this. But if it isn't a big jump in IQ I might stick with the solid 30fps option

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
4K mode still gives better performance than base PS4. I'll probably be playing this at 4K mode, can't sacrifice visual quality for a 2, 3 frame rate boost.

At least it's good we're seeing a clear distinction between base and Pro versions now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Also I noticed a huge list of western names under technical advisory or whatever in the Credits. Do you think they had the western tech teams come in and try and triage this?

Not sure why they didn't opt for 900p on base PS4.

dark10x

Supersampling on a 1080p TV?
Nope and you DO NOT want it. It would be a very bad thing in this game.

It's only a good thing if there is an option to disable it since it runs poorly using it.

The current setup is not the optimal solution but it's a heck of a lot better than forcing it to run at 1900p in all modes. THAT would be a disaster.

dealer-

Both options would be great but THANK GOD they don't force downsampling. That would basically render the game screwed since it runs so poorly in the 4K mode (playable, but not anywhere close to good). It's not worth it.

Yeah I'd much rather have solid 30fps out of the two.

Shari

I dont know how people come out with "I guess its an improvement over sotc".

It's been over a decade and hopefully technical standards have risen with the industry.

Jeez.

I played in 4K mode and while it definitely drops in certain areas (and I can't figure out what makes it drop) I thought the unsteadiness was noticeable but manageable. The clean IQ was worth it. I understand if people can't tolerate it though. Yikes at the base PS4. Guess it's an improvement over sotc lol.

Is hope they can figure out a stable 30 by 2022

firelogic

20-30fps is worrisome. I couldn't get through SotC on PS2 because of the choppy framerate (anyone know what it was on PS2?). It made me nauseous.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

This is neogaf.gif

SilentRob

I was kinda suprised it even runs at 20-25 frames in these moments with a lot of grass outside. It feels way lower because of the very slow, kinda unresponsive camera. Could've sworn it would be more like 15-20, it felt beyond terrible.

Top Bottom