• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Doom 1.00 - 1.09 patch is 29gb

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Is this some kind of record? I installed the vanilla game on Monday and I had to install 1.08 which was 25gb but my PSN download has been so slow I had only gotten 18gb as of 8hrs ago. This morning I went to see if it had finished and it was sitting on the "checking 10%" screen. With a notification that 1.09 was released. I resumed and it started from the beginning telling me it was going to take 60hrs.

These patche sizes combined with PSN speeds are getting ridiculous.

god dam them for supporting their excellent game with free updates ):

The pricks.

I'm actually in the same spot as the OP though. Do the patches update anything single player, or is it all multi? I never got around to finishing it, but would consider giving it another ride if there have been nice additions.

cyba89

It's huge on PC too. That's why I instantly deleted the game from my drive after I saw the end credits.

Is this a patch today? I'd like my Challenges Trophy that I was robbed of. A fix (the last one didn't do it) would be great!

Yeah I think MCC is seriously like 110gb rn or something.

I'd guess that just MCC and Halo 5 use half an 500gb model's hdd, if you take into account that only about 400GB is available for installs and both of those games are touching 100GB each.

Yazzees

Yeah I think MCC is seriously like 110gb rn or something.
Deleted it the moment I finished the campaigns.

I don't think my entire 360 library of 15-20 games is that big.

I wanted to go digital this gen but data caps stopped me real quick.

The pricks.

I'm actually in the same spot as the OP though. Do the patches update anything single player, or is it all multi? I never got around to finishing it, but would consider giving it another ride if there have been nice additions.

There's an arcade mode that was added, and I think there were a bunch of things added to snapmap.

Is this some kind of record?
I don't think. AC Unity had to push back the whole Paris map and one of the first patches was almost the size of the game, around 50gigs.

It's a lot of multiplayer additions and things of that nature.
The more data they had/modify, the bigger the patch. I don't even want to know what the FFXV patches will look like with the story, cinematics and models they want to had in the future updates.

Does it replace the old installed data? 😯
Most of the time, yes as a lot of patches push modified data. But if they had stuff, then no.

god dam them for supporting their excellent game with free updates ):

you're downloading all the mulitplayer data even if you don't pay for it. So no. Also, even if it was all free that's utterly besides the point. Yes, we love free content. that doesn't prevent us marveling at how huge patches are these days or lamenting the small size of HDD's on console.

Squishy3

Modern iD tech feels like a really clever prank left by John Cormack

Patch sizes for those games have been insane.
Eh, games in general are just ballooning in size. Hitman 2016 with all the content is 60 GB. I can only imagine what it'll be for season 2.

Is there a way to disable updates for specific games on PS4? The game is almost 70gb on PS4. I'm not going to add 15gb for a mode I'm not going to play. I only want single player.
And The PlayStation store said the game was 43gb when I bought it. They should update that.

Why the fuck is the game so big anyways? It's not the prettiest nor the largest game I've played on the system.

Beaulieu

I've been meaning to buy that game since launch
Guess Ill skip it

Games arent designed with canadian monthly download cap in mind :/ sucks.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
MP really should have been a separate install.

Even if this includes some SnapMap improvements I find it ironic that the huge patches are usually for the not so liked multiplayer mode. I loved this game (my GOTY so far), but I haven't put a finger on said mode.

Time to block automatic patching for this I guess.

I recently deleted Doom from my PS4 because of its insane patches. Before patch 1.09 it weighted 80GBs. FFXV and TLG were coming soon and Doom had to go. And they were mainly colossal patches for the features I never laid a finger on: multiplayer and snapmap.

As much as I love the base game, I sold my copy because patches got way too out of hand. I look forward to playing it again in a few years if my local ISPs decide to not be shit. 29 gigs is the size of a completely different game, they got me fucked up if they think I'd download a patch that size.

Top Bottom