• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC under flood water for hours, managed to restore everything!

Vipu

Banned
So in short:
This guy in Spain(?) had flood and his friends PC was under flood water and mud for 2-3 hours.

Seems pretty impossible job to try restore everything to working condition but with lots of work and effort + help of other people HE DID IT after only 11 days!

I think he deserves some visibility and love.

Before:

IWqL9yl.jpg

10aDSN5.jpg

After:

Source:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=411362

Jin

Source is taking me to a Ubisoft ad.

Edit: His PC not only works it looks brand new now.

GHG

Gold Member
No way did the power supply survive. I also doubt a mechanical HDD would as well.

That sabertooth durability

As long as the components were off, should be fine if you clean everything with contact cleaner in the end.

deoee

Reading a bit in the thread he at least replaced the Power supply.

Don't really know what happened to the HDD :D

Vipu

Banned
Reading a bit in the thread he at least replaced the Power supply.

Don't really know what happened to the HDD :D

Oh, well guess it was only some fan rattling then that he could not restore fully and fans are cheaper to replace I guess than use tons of hours trying to fix.

LQX

Wow, that's awesome. I actually had this happen to me though not as severe. Lost my VGA and sound card but motherboard, CPU, SSD, and Ram survived.

SigSig

Yooo this is cool. Even the HDD works!
I recommend everyone to check out the source, lots of in progress pictures.

How do you even clean stuff like the PCIe/RAM slots? What about various ports? How do the drives survive? I can't wrap my head around this.

baconcow

I worked at a place that performed maintenance and repairs on underwater equipment, and often you would see some that is flooded. While it is possible to salvage electronics that have some water damage, any salt water damage would usually destroy it. Salt, being a good conductor, will usually mess up components on electronics boards. However, at only 2-3 hours, there could have been a chance.

This only works if the power wasn't on when the flood occur, 8 years ago my basement flooded had 3 PC down there, 2 of them got flooded, i dried them out few weeks later they both turned back on, same thing happen to my friend, but this time it wasn't a weather related flood, and power lines didn't go down, his power was on, his PSU and mobo died...

Coreda

Apparently due to it not being powered on during the flood things like the memory and GPU managed to not take damage. Kind of unbelievable restoration, really.

swnny

Well, sure enough, it does look bad and beyond repair, but the key factor in saving the PC was the fact, that it was unplugged from the mains. With no current running through the circuit, the water (or more like the salts/minerals in the water) can't short-circuit and damage the parts. The battery on the motherboard only keeps the bios up, but the current draw there is so small, it can't blow anything.

I've worked for a few years in a service repair shop for electronic cash registers and old cash terminals (which were basically PCs with a fiscal printers build into them) and because of the nasty conditions they operate in, it was common practice to clean them with water and soup and let them dry for a few days.

sertopico

The lesson is: never keep your chassis on the floor. Great job anyway, apart from that brownish shade it looks new.

sertopico

My chassis never leaves the floor and never will, unless it gets to console size maybe, who knows.

Well it's bad for its duration, on the floor it gets much more dust and shit than staying on a desk... But maybe I am just a cleaning maniac.

How the fuck did he do that, we're talking wet, sticky mud all up in those parts. The fact that computer still works is nothing short of a miracle

How the fuck did he do that, we're talking wet, sticky mud all up in those parts. The fact that computer still works is nothing short of a miracle

As long as the components aren't powered, water doesn't do much harm. He probably spent a few days rinsing out the components with regular water and then leaving them to dry out.

Vipu

Banned
Well it's bad for its duration, on the floor it gets much more dust and shit than staying on a desk... But maybe I am just a cleaning maniac.

Ok it might collect tiny bit more dust but it takes few min to blow that dust once a year anyway so what does it matter if there is 0,2mm dust instead 0,15mm dust?

I rather take tiny bit more dust and complete silence than chassis next to me on ear level or behind monitor where you can hear stuff much easier.
Plus its ugly on table.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm having trouble believing this. Looks more like pictures this person had of their PC before anything happened.

If my basement flooded I'd be building a new PC thanks to my homeowners insurance.

Caffeine

I'm having trouble believing this. Looks more like pictures this person had of their PC before anything happened.

If my basement flooded I'd be building a new PC thanks to my homeowners insurance.

if you go through the thread you can see him taking apart parts with dirt on/in them.

he did replace the power supply though.

sertopico

Ok it might collect tiny bit more dust but it takes few min to blow that dust once a year anyway so what does it matter if there is 0,2mm dust instead 0,15mm dust?

I rather take tiny bit more dust and complete silence than chassis next to me on ear level or behind monitor where you can hear stuff much easier.
Plus its ugly on table.

We have different habits, that's it. I like to treat my PC with care, also considering how much I paid for it hehe.

Top Bottom