• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Change of program, now Nintendo Switch is a beast again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

z0m3le

Banned
Speculation is fun. These guys are guessing. Their reasoning is 720p is going out of style, but they have never held up a 3DS and looked at that the crisp 240p display.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
It will very likely have maximum output resolution higher than 1080p, but it'll only use it for video playback.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Takashi is quoting an analyst speculating based on the patents and the fact that 720p screens are rarely used these days

The same analyst said in November this:

Switch likely using 14/16nmFET process; GPU would be Pascal-based.

Vuze

I mean yeah, if the games have PSX level of graphic fidelity, I'm sure it can push them at 1080p60 undocked. Pretty useless speculation.

JoeM86

I'm just going to wait for Nintendo to reveal things. Fed up with all these conflicting reports and rumours.

dracula_x

there's more:

Fvwxr96.png

nekomix

This guy is allegedly reliable right? I cannot believe what he is saying like all other rumours... I'll just wait those 3 weeks before the Second Coming.

Nydius

Sorry, I still believe Digital Foundry and the fact that at least one Nintendo insider backed up their piece from her own single source as well. Digital Foundry, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't have a reputation of running with information half-cocked or based on pure speculation. There is nothing to suggest they made up what they wrote and it would destroy their credibility ENTIRELY as a tech site if they did.

I'll take their article over a simple (edit: series of) Twitter posts, even if it's from someone in the industry as well. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: We already know what the Tegra X1 is capable of, we already know what battery life can be achieved with 2016 technology, and we already know the form factor of the device and that it is going to be jam packed with multiple subsystems within that form factor. If you're truly expecting this thing to be capable of performance "half of the XB1" (something I see thrown around here), you're in for a shock.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This guy is allegedly reliable right? I cannot believe what he is saying like all other rumours... I'll just wait those 3 weeks before the Second Coming.

The guy is reliable, but he is quoting here an analyst speculating, not some "insider".

Takashi Mochizuki is extremely reliable... but he is just paraphrasing the beliefs of Ace Research analyst Yasuda. I don't think this is his own personal take on the Switch.

Edit: Beaten!

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
there's more:

Fvwxr96.png

PS360 also run open world games. That statement is completely meaningless without further clarifications.

The Tegra X1 can actually output 4K resolutions and the output ports in the Switch will likely have enough bandwidth to send that to a TV. But that is also meaningless information. At most, that will be used for video playback.

Even speculations about display resolution are meaningless, since, as we all know, you don't have to render at a display's native resolution.

Hasney

The Switch was never a beast and this smells of BS. Deal with it and make your peace.

I do remember hearing that the console could output at 4k even in the dock, but games won't be rendering in that. Be like for Netflix or what have you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom